Starting OL..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Jenkins - Daniels - Whitehair - Borom - Ifedi

I messed with this for a bit and saw the depth chart with Whitehair at Center again, so I guess the top brass are not as happy with Mustipher as the fans were.

Bars is a backup and Borom is a nice fit as a guard, although the season start could see some different combinations if Borom is not up to speed.

There is going to be plenty of versatility on the interior and virtually none on the exterior. We don't have a real LT on the roster, and our only RT is playing LT.

If anyone needs a reason NOT to start Fields, Jenkins is a rookie and Ifedi's only season at RT landed him 8 holding penalties and 9 false starts.

We likely will be in the market for a Tackle in free agency next year to possibly allow Jenkins to flow back to his natural right side and then try to find a real LT to deal with speed rushers.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

I messed with this for a bit and saw the depth chart with Whitehair at Center again, so I guess the top brass are not as happy with Mustipher as the fans were.

Bars is a backup and Borom is a nice fit as a guard, although the season start could see some different combinations if Borom is not up to speed.

There is going to be plenty of versatility on the interior and virtually none on the exterior. We don't have a real LT on the roster, and our only RT is playing LT.

If anyone needs a reason NOT to start Fields, Jenkins is a rookie and Ifedi's only season at RT landed him 8 holding penalties and 9 false starts.

We likely will be in the market for a Tackle in free agency next year to possibly allow Jenkins to flow back to his natural right side and then try to find a real LT to deal with speed rushers.
the depth chart is not accurate especially when training camp has not even started yet...
it'll be jenkins, whitehair, mustipher, daniels and ifedi as the starting group....whether borom can challenge for that RT spot is unknown.

Last edited:

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
it'll be jenkins, whitehair, mustipher, daniels and ifedi as the starting group....whether borom can challenge for that RT spot is unknown.
Even as bad as Ifedi is, I would be surprised if the Bears went with two rookie tackles. I think Borom is a power mauling guard, and I can't see how he gets in the lineup if Mustipher stays.

I agree that I like Daniels and Whitehair at guard, but if Borom can play and his best position is guard I think you have kick the most veteran player to Center and that is Whitehair. It is just my feeling on how it plays out. If Borom doesn't make the field this year its likely Daniels - Mustipher - Whitehair on the inside.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I like that the Bears introduced some power into their OL with Jenkins and Borom, I really like it. But I don't like those guys of position where footspeed becomes a problem.

Drafting a power RG and RT would be a great thing. But playing these guys at LT and RT, at the NFL level may be a stretch. I mean I hope that it works out but I think its fair to be skeptical that they both can fit at those positions.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
...where did you see the depth chart with whitehair as C? It's just a dumb narrative. 90% of people likely realize mustipher will be C but you keep running with outdated depth charts or depth charts from sites with no credibility
Ourlands and ESPN but it's meaningless until the Bear have their preliminary depth chart and all indicators point to
TJ, Whitehair, Mustiher, Daniels, Ifedi in that order. I also think it's good the have Whitehair next to TJ. Experience and he was also a top LT in college.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
the depth chart is not accurate especially when training camp has not even started yet...
Exactly........The Bears official depth chart won't be released until camp starts.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Ourlands and ESPN but it's meaningless until the Bear have their preliminary depth chart and all indicators point to
TJ, Whitehair, Mustiher, Daniels, Ifedi in that order. I also think it's good the have Whitehair next to TJ. Experience and he was also a top LT in college.
I mean simply paying attention to what the beat writers have been saying gives us enough info to know where these guys have been lining up. Those depth charts are a joke. They have ifedi/bars at rg and Wilkinson at rt.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Even as bad as Ifedi is, I would be surprised if the Bears went with two rookie tackles. I think Borom is a power mauling guard, and I can't see how he gets in the lineup if Mustipher stays.

I agree that I like Daniels and Whitehair at guard, but if Borom can play and his best position is guard I think you have kick the most veteran player to Center and that is Whitehair. It is just my feeling on how it plays out. If Borom doesn't make the field this year its likely Daniels - Mustipher - Whitehair on the inside.
Ifedi is a natural guard, he does much better protecting in the smaller inside areas. He is just not quick enough in pass protection for tackle. Pace let go two serviceable tackles because he ran out of money. Having them would have allowed younger tackles a chance to develop at their own pace.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Didn't someone post a PFF ranking where Mustipher was 30 outta 32?

I cannot remember if it was overall or run or pass blocking.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Didn't someone post a PFF ranking where Mustipher was 30 outta 32?

I cannot remember if it was overall or run or pass blocking.
The issue is PFF can't grade what he clearly did better than the other guys which is calling out assignments and making sure others are doing the correct things. The line clearly had more cohesiveness with him at C than anyone else.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Well...I don't want to have to go thru and redo all of Pace's drafts. For some reason we cannot talk about the o-line otherwise.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ifedi is a natural guard, he does much better protecting in the smaller inside areas. He is just not quick enough in pass protection for tackle. Pace let go two serviceable tackles because he ran out of money. Having them would have allowed younger tackles a chance to develop at their own pace.
Wrong. Ifedi was much better at T than G and is reasonably comparable to Masse overall. That said, I suspect he's gone after this year and Borom is being groomed for RT. Ifedi is quicker, more dynamic, has longer arms and much bigger hands than Massie. He's not a better player than Massie but he's a T and reasonably equivalent. His stats from Seattle will look worse because of how long Wilson holds the ball.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The issue is PFF can't grade what he clearly did better than the other guys which is calling out assignments and making sure others are doing the correct things. The line clearly had more cohesiveness with him at C than anyone else.
This and he was also just getting his feet wet. Still will need to be more dynamic this year but indications are that he should be.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

Bears have not released their official depth chart and won't until camp starts.

Though tackles are a concern, it is NOT a reason to sit Fields. If the OT's are not up to par his mobility will factor in. As has been said before the two best rookie QB numbers were set by Mayfield in 2018 and broken by Herbert last year behind two horrible OL's.

Yes Jenkins is a rookie, but he is a highly rated one. Don't know where you got your stats on Ifedi but before coming to the Bears he was a three year starter at RT for the Seahawks. In those three years he had 16 penalties in 2017, 10 in 2018, and 13 in 2019. Those 39 penalties at RT were the reason Ifedi got his ass released. Last year his total penalties dropped to 5, perhaps he has turned a corner. This season will tell.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would not put much stock in guessing any of the positions prior to the end of pads training camp at the very least. Really, need to wait until the cut down time. One never knows as players cut could yet end up on a Bears roster depending on the team that cut them and how they look compared to Bears back ups.

For shits and giggles, I suspect, at this moment, it is Jenkins, Whitehair, Mustipher, Daniels, Ifredi.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Your tackles could be worse than last year. I'm not a huge fan of PFF, but they do try to help fans do apples-to-apples comparisons. Per PFF Germain Ifedi is coming off the best year of his career with a 65. Maybe he regresses back to his previous range, which was mostly at RT, between 51 and 56. Just to put that into context in 2020 Leno was a 74.6 and Massie was a 72.6.

Teven Jenkins is still an unknown. I love his feet and temperament, but his arm length made many respected draft analysts project him as a RT that could be a guard if that doesn't work. He's being slotted in as starting the blind side protector WITHOUT THE TEAM SEEING WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE IN PADS AGAINST NFL PASS RUSHERS. Add in that there really isn't a Plan B currently on this roster and this could be a disaster. Sure, they will get a sense where he is in training camp when going against Mack, but when the regular season starts and the bullets are live you gotta think NFL defensive coordinators will be attacking him with not only high caliber pass rushers, but confusing schemes.

I really hope this turns out better than it looks. For me I know your tackles were bad last year, but unfortunately I'm seeing a real possibility that both positions have been downgraded.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I like that the Bears introduced some power into their OL with Jenkins and Borom, I really like it. But I don't like those guys of position where footspeed becomes a problem.

Drafting a power RG and RT would be a great thing. But playing these guys at LT and RT, at the NFL level may be a stretch. I mean I hope that it works out but I think its fair to be skeptical that they both can fit at those positions.
Jenkins played RT in college, but put up athletic numbers up to NFL LT standards. Borom played LT and gave up 0 pressures in the SEC. He also lost weight to increase his mobility. Not saying they will definitely hold down LT and RT for the next 10 years, but there's no reason not to give them a shot at those positions. This isn't round pegs in square holes. These are square pegs that may need the edges sanded down to fit in those holes.