Starting QB's - Draft Position

PickSix

Liked Posts:
This will be long. Apologies.
So being curious about the debate to draft a QB in rd 1 next year vs a later rd and develop concept, I thought I'd round up data on where existing starting QB's were drafted. By player and rd selected (somewhat in order of good to bad).
Brady - 6
Rodgers - 1
Luck - 1
P Manning - 1
Roethlisberger - 1
Rivers - 1
Brees - 2
Flaco - 1
Ryan - 1
Romo - Undrafted
E Manning - 1
Wilson - 3
Stanford - 1
Palmer - 1
Tannehill - 1
Newton - 1
Cutler - 1
A Smith - 1
Carr - 2
Daulton - 2
Kaepernick - 2
Bradford - 1
Bridgewater - 1
Foles - 3
Bortles - 1
Mariota - 1
G Smith - 2
Hoyer - Undrafted
Manziel - 1
Cassel - 7
Cousins - 1
Winston - 1

Other notes:
- Of the 26 QB's drafted in the first round in the last 10 years. 13 are starting. The other 13 were of limited success or busts. So a 50% hit rate.
The other 13 were Manuel, RG III, Weeden, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Tebow, Sanchez, Freeman, Russell, Quinn, Young, and Leinart.
- The 5 starting 2nd rd guys were generally taken at the very top of round 2.
- Just 3 (Brady, Romo, Wilson) of the top 20 or so were not selected in Rd 1 or top of 2.
- Rd's 2 and 3 are littered with a lot of the backups. Think Garoppolo, Glennon, Clausen, etc
- The amount of busts in rd 2 was too much to count. Really low success rate. Past the top of round 2, basically forget about it percentage wise except for a few of the anomalies above.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This will be long. Apologies.
So being curious about the debate to draft a QB in rd 1 next year vs a later rd and develop concept, I thought I'd round up data on where existing starting QB's were drafted. By player and rd selected (somewhat in order of good to bad).
Brady - 6
Rodgers - 1
Luck - 1
P Manning - 1
Roethlisberger - 1
Rivers - 1
Brees - 2
Flaco - 1
Ryan - 1
Romo - Undrafted
E Manning - 1
Wilson - 3
Stanford - 1
Palmer - 1
Tannehill - 1
Newton - 1
Cutler - 1
A Smith - 1
Carr - 2
Daulton - 2
Kaepernick - 2
Bradford - 1
Bridgewater - 1
Foles - 3
Bortles - 1
Mariota - 1
G Smith - 2
Hoyer - Undrafted
Manziel - 1
Cassel - 7
Cousins - 1
Winston - 1

Other notes:
- Of the 26 QB's drafted in the first round in the last 10 years. 13 are starting. The other 13 were of limited success or busts. So a 50% hit rate.
The other 13 were Manuel, RG III, Weeden, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Tebow, Sanchez, Freeman, Russell, Quinn, Young, and Leinart.
- The 5 starting 2nd rd guys were generally taken at the very top of round 2.
- Just 3 (Brady, Romo, Wilson) of the top 20 or so were not selected in Rd 1 or top of 2.
- Rd's 2 and 3 are littered with a lot of the backups. Think Garoppolo, Glennon, Clausen, etc
- The amount of busts in rd 2 was too much to count. Really low success rate. Past the top of round 2, basically forget about it percentage wise except for a few of the anomalies above.

Can't think of another FanBoi on this board that could have explained it better!!

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yes sir. I caught that too, but haven't figured out how to edit.

PWT2Ok4.png

Really?

I will maybe excuse you if you're using Tapatalk.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only there were a button under every post that allowed someone to edit thier own posts....

EDIT DAMN YOU SCOOT FOR POSTING BEFORE ME!

PickSix

Liked Posts:
PWT2Ok4.png

Really?

I will maybe excuse you if you're using Tapatalk.

Thanks for the help. Truly. I am on the iPhone and just don't see the edit to you circled. I've gone to the non mobile viewing and still don't see it. My bad. Sorry.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the help. Truly. I am on the iPhone and just don't see the edit to you circled. I've gone to the non mobile viewing and still don't see it. My bad. Sorry.
I'll excuse you given you're on mobile.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm waiting for the conclusion? Also, in the 50% hit rate does that include Johnny Football, Geno Smith, Winston, and Cousins? I think you need to only count a hit as a QB that has been a starter for 3 or 4 years and adjust your time period accordingly. I would think a 30% success rate out of the 1st rd would be more realistic.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I'm waiting for the conclusion? Also, in the 50% hit rate does that include Johnny Football, Geno Smith, Winston, and Cousins? I think you need to only count a hit as a QB that has been a starter for 3 or 4 years and adjust your time period accordingly. I would think a 30% success rate out of the 1st rd would be more realistic.
The better question is does a hit include a Jay Cutler? We all want him gone, but somehow he may be considered a hit? Idk about that

PickSix

Liked Posts:

Smith and Cousins...no. They were not first rounders.
Correct...probably should have defined hit rate better for you. It was simply a current day starter.
You guys can define your success rate however you want. Won't argue your 30% conclusion.