Statistics

Stapler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only we had been taught the meaning of the 'word before we learned it's mathematical function.

Cue conjunction junction tune...

Without going into the history of algebra (whatever that means) and putting everbody to sleep, I'll simply posit that stats are only useful if you know the totallity of the potential whole.

I've found that this number is easy to crunch in things with the most moving parts (like NASCAR or rocket launches) or the fewest moving parts (like craps or roulette).

The stuff in the middle like sports and crime gets fuzzy depending on moods, tides, weather, running surfaces, weapons involved etc. The math becomes very complex, and over my head, whenever I try to use stats to support a fuzzy conjecture.

Cue 'updated' conjecture function tune...

(forward concpet to PBS asap)

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only we had been taught the meaning of the 'word before we learned it's mathematical function.

Cue conjunction junction tune...

Without going into the history of algebra (whatever that means) and putting everbody to sleep, I'll simply posit that stats are only useful if you know the totallity of the potential whole.

I've found that this number is easy to crunch in things with the most moving parts (like NASCAR or rocket launches) or the fewest moving parts (like craps or roulette).

The stuff in the middle like sports and crime gets fuzzy depending on moods, tides, weather, running surfaces, weapons involved etc. The math becomes very complex, and over my head, whenever I try to use stats to support a fuzzy conjecture.

Cue 'updated' conjecture function tune...

(forward concpet to PBS asap)

Sports and crime have emotions involved which are much more difficult to quantify.

Maybe I missed the disscussion point?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
80% of all people don't understand statistics.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
saupload_towelie.jpg