Status on Jeffery ?

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Has there been any news on what the Bears are planning with Alshon Jeffery in regards to extending him or not?
Could this be part of the issue with the halt in free agent activity?
On paper it looks like we have $14 mill of cap remaining. Back off $7 for the draft class and space for in season moves. That leaves only $7 mill left to play with unless there are other cuts or restructures.
I'd guess that extending Jeffery would add around another $6 mill of cap this year at least, which would basically leave a minimal amount left for a dumpster dive or two.
Do you think there is a possibility that we are really low balling the Foster offer to get both done? Or do you think we are punting all together on getting an extension done?
I'd really like to see the Jeffery extension get done so we are not over paying in the FA market next year and/or having to fill another hole if we lose him.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think pace wants another year to evaluate him and he'll make the decision next off season.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Im not worried about his contract. i can see the Bears getting him for a very reasonable contract.

chitown2387

Liked Posts:
Alshon won't be going anywhere. He's too good for the Bears to let go. They let Brandon Marshall go with the mindset of keeping him.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think pace wants another year to evaluate him and he'll make the decision next off season.

I agree.... I think Pace probably wants to see Jeffery as our top WR with no BMarsh out there for a full season to decide what kind of big money AJ is worth for his next contract.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The Bears don't have to extend him right now, they can extend him during the season or any other time they see fit.

On the other hand he's exclusively the number one receiver in this offense now. It's his time to shine on his own to show what kind of money he's worth. My guess is he could has a huge year and then be paid handsomely for it, or he could struggle because the guy under center doesn't give a shit and has already been paid.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears don't have to extend him right now, they can extend him during the season or any other time they see fit.

On the other hand he's exclusively the number one receiver in this offense now. It's his time to shine on his own to show what kind of money he's worth. My guess is he could has a huge year and then be paid handsomely for it, or he could struggle because the guy under center doesn't give a shit and has already been paid.

Exactly.... we kept shitty Cutler so AJ would not have a monster year and we can extend him for a more friendly contract...

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
$20 says Alshon doesn't take a paycut for us like Marshall did.

Not only is he on his rookie deal after the next one will be his first deal. So, no, he won't take a paycut nor should be expected to. He should and likely deserves to get paid.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I thought that there was a deadline to extend him? (that we missed) Glad to hear that is incorrect.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
The Bears need to give Alshon Jeffery a new contract after trading Brandon Marshall away.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears need to give Alshon Jeffery a new contract after trading Brandon Marshall away.

Why do it now. See how he preforms being the #1. Extend him mid season.

Then again if he is cheaper now that could hurt.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
Extend him mid season. Shouldn't do it now because the roster isn't filled out. If the Bears are halfway through the season and they have some cap space then use it to extend Alshon to alleviate the cap hit down the road.