Steven Rosenberg

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nagy was outcoached when he wasn’t trying to out-cute himself, and he was particularly awful when it came to managing the clock and the ball late in the game.

With the Bears’ 20-point lead down to three in the final three minutes and the Packers out of timeouts, the Bears faced third-and-2 at the Packers 14. Jordan Howard had run for 27 yards on his previous two carries on the drive. On third down, the Bears passed. Incomplete. The clock stopped. What the ...?

Instead of running the ball on fourth down to gain a new series that could’ve ended the game — and even if it didn’t, it certainly wouldn’t have left Rodgers so much time — the Bears kicked a field goal that didn’t put them up by a touchdown.

You have to give the ball to Howard there. You have to be able to get 2 yards. You have to be able to win the line of scrimmage. There was no need to try to get cute. Just play football. Why risk stopping the clock? The Bears didn’t look like a team with 2,000 snaps since organized team activities. They didn’t execute like a team that could afford to skip live game action in the preseason.

Earlier in the second half, Nagy called a pass play after Howard had gained 9 yards on first and second down, and on that critical third-down pass across the field, Dion Sims couldn’t figure out he needed to get past the sticks to make any of it work. Was that covered in any of those 2,000 snaps since OTAs?

But wait. This is where stupid meets bad. Nagy’s postgame explanation included the point that Bears starters didn’t get a lot of snaps in the preseason.

Yes, and whose decision was that, Coach Nagy?

Galling. His team wasn’t fit enough to compete, and he dares to bring up preseason snaps. Embarrassing.

This x 1,000.

Howard getting 20+ carries wins us this game. Instead, he got 15. And we were unable to do a fucking thing in the 2nd half. Nagy sucked in his first game. Just hoping week 1 fucking idiot Nagy doesn't ever resurface again.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
But wait. This is where stupid meets bad. Nagy’s postgame explanation included the point that Bears starters didn’t get a lot of snaps in the preseason.

Ugh. That's fucking horrid. You had FIVE fucking games to do that.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This x 1,000.

Howard getting 20+ carries wins us this game. Instead, he got 15. And we were unable to do a fucking thing in the 2nd half. Nagy sucked in his first game. Just hoping week 1 fucking idiot Nagy doesn't ever resurface again.

I remember Loggains always going 5 wide on 3rd & 1 or 2. And they rarely converted. Why are coaches scared of running the ball on short distance 3rd downs?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because they play reactionary instead of forcing their will. Way too focused on calling what they think is given.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I remember Loggains always going 5 wide on 3rd & 1 or 2. And they rarely converted. Why are coaches scared of running the ball on short distance 3rd downs?

Because of the way the league is now. Every single rule change or new penalty on the defense helps the passing game. So these OC and HCs fancy themselves to be the fucking Albert Einstein of offense. And then they do stupid shit. Shit so stupid that they outsmart themselves. It's not flashy or elegant to run it up the gut with your awesome RB on 3rd and 2. Instead you've got to call the same dumb bullshit that Nagy was running all night long that Green Bay had already shut down.

That 3rd and 2 with 2 minutes and change left up 3 points? We should have run it twice there if we didn't get the 1st down on 3rd and 2. Wow, football is hard. I officially put my hat in the ring for the next head coaching vacancy for the Chicago Bears. :p

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The question you have to ask is if Nagy won't run on 3rd and 2 to seal up a victory, why does he have a FB on the roster at all? Some of the decision making by this coaching staff is questionable.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The question you have to ask is if Nagy won't run on 3rd and 2 to seal up a victory, why does he have a FB on the roster at all? Some of the decision making by this coaching staff is questionable.

That is a good question. I'm really hoping Nagy looks at the tape and thinks to himself, "I should have run 24 more here, here, and here."

I'm just really hoping he doesn't look at the tape and go, "More pre-snap movement into behind the LOS screens on 3rd and short would have sealed this victory!"

He gets some slack in his first game. It's how he comes out after that crushing defeat and learns from it that will define him as a head coach. If he doesn't figure it out, we're in for a lonnnnnng season.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That is a good question. I'm really hoping Nagy looks at the tape and thinks to himself, "I should have run 24 more here, here, and here."

I'm just really hoping he doesn't look at the tape and go, "More pre-snap movement into behind the LOS screens on 3rd and short would have sealed this victory!"

He gets some slack in his first game. It's how he comes out after that crushing defeat and learns from it that will define him as a head coach. If he doesn't figure it out, we're in for a lonnnnnng season.

[video=youtube;SarksnXgBt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SarksnXgBt4[/video]

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This x 1,000.

Exactly, if the run is working. Nagy needs to stick to it and mix in PA. If they're loading up the box like the Fox years, make them pay. This shit isn't rocket science... It doesn't need to be "exotic"

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good article, I agree entirely, I just hope that Nagy does as well.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Nonsense.

If the D holds GB to just a short drive but they get to OT when the automatic Crosby nails a FG, Nagy would be second guessed far worse.

As “obvious” as it was that Rodgers would get a TD, you’d be making the tie way too easy. And if he then got the TD “we all knew he’d get”, you now need a TD instead of only a FG.

Even after the GB TD, the Bears should have won it.