Stock Market/Investing

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It did appear in my portfolio finally.. of course will after it went to 18.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Everything seems to be tanking.... I'd hang in right now and just wait for the market to bounce back.

It always fucking does.... this is how the institutional investors make money.

When it is on an upswing.... sell stock, sell call options, hedge with put options.

When it is on a downswing.... buy/hold stock (cost avg down), buy/hold call options (depending on term), hedge with call options.

Look for a bottom.... BUY BUY BUY..... wait for upswing.... rinse and repeat.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Everything seems to be tanking.... I'd hang in right now and just wait for the market to bounce back.

It always fucking does.... this is how the institutional investors make money.

When it is on an upswing.... sell stock, sell call options, hedge with put options.

When it is on a downswing.... buy/hold stock (cost avg down), buy/hold call options (depending on term), hedge with call options.

Look for a bottom.... BUY BUY BUY..... wait for upswing.... rinse and repeat.
I'm not panic selling... I am just unfortunately full invested now and have no money to buy any dips lol.

Kinda what I figured was gonna happen though.. I got impatient and didn't wait for this to happen. Of course as my personal logic tells me, the market only tanked because I bought in. If I hadn't bought in, it'd still be going to the moon.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not panic selling... I am just unfortunately full invested now and have no money to buy any dips lol.

Kinda what I figured was gonna happen though.. I got impatient and didn't wait for this to happen. Of course as my personal logic tells me, the market only tanked because I bought in. If I hadn't bought in, it'd still be going to the moon.

If it makes you feel any better I think the same things lol.

"Fucking hedgies were waiting for me, personally, to buy 2,500$ worth of stock.... so they could ruin my investment!"

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If it makes you feel any better I think the same things lol.

"Fucking hedgies were waiting for me, personally, to buy 2,500$ worth of stock.... so they could ruin my investment!"
Here's my market entries for you:

2008 - Market massively crashed in September, I don't recall when I actually bought in.
February 2020 - Just before COVID crash - though this was only to buy index funds in my Roth.
February 2021 - ????

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

2008 - Market massively crashed in September, I don't recall when I actually bought in.
February 2020 - Just before COVID crash - though this was only to buy index funds in my Roth.
February 2021 - ????

You're timing the market the wrong way.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You're timing the market the wrong way.
Duh.

I stayed in throughout 08-09.. Did buy plenty of things low.. ended up making about a sizeable amount by 2013 when I sold everything to buy a house.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

February 2021 - ????
This is actually pretty impressive.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is actually pretty impressive.
Well, at this point, I'm not withdrawing any time soon, I'll probably keep investing money, though mostly in my Roth. Likely to just let my personal account stay at the same amount sell/buy other things.

So expect the market to look like the 1970s and do absolutely nothing.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, at this point, I'm not withdrawing any time soon, I'll probably keep investing money, though mostly in my Roth. Likely to just let my personal account stay at the same amount sell/buy other things.

So expect the market to look like the 1970s and do absolutely nothing.

Are you saying.... ape no go... to moon?

Bk5K.gif

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Brutal day, but its been bad for like 8 of the last 10 days. One of the things I strongly suggest to anyone who is looking at a portfolio full of stocks they plan on waiting out the correction on: learn how to sell covered calls. It's like charging the stocks rent in your portfolio, all you have to do is have 100 or more shares. If you expect stock to go down in short-mid term its more or less free money.

Pretty much the only thing making me money the last week besides covered calls are DASH puts as the price yoyos between 152 and 140 where SoftBank fights/inflates the price to keep it above 127.50 for Tuesday when the share lockup ends.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Making so much fucking money on DASH puts.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Guys I'm sorry for investing in the cannabis industry.

Now's a good time to really build up on some of those positions.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think value right now is worse than its ever been, but that could also be a general shift in market perception towards tech stocks versus solid companies. This was true in the dot com boom as well though. But in some ways its always been this way, it just gets worse in bubbles, something that we may be in right now.

Historically... events, political, natural disasters, bad economics has spelled doom for the market, but in this run up, the markets become more divorced from reality than actually running on the fundamentals of the economy. COVID did cause a sharp downturn, but the markets quickly adjusted, and seemingly responded well to 0% interest rates than versus worrying about the pandemic. The pandemic also mainly hit industries hard that don't trade stock (restaurants). And the ones that did, like parts of the travel industry (airlines, cruise lines) did get hit massively hard in their stocks.

Meanwhile a bunch of other companies actually did better in the pandemic, and tech in particular had a lot of future speculation as there was a shift into "what is the future after COVID?"

A previous stock market would have been more upset over unemployment numbers, COVID deaths, whatever the hell Donald Trump was doing that looked bad.. but this market hasn't cared so much about that.

In any sense, the market can return to its previous norms at any point. If we are indeed in some kind of bubble, once it bursts investors will shift their focus. They could shift their focus even without a bubble. There is likely to be some sort of shift to a "re-open market" going after stocks that should flourish as the country re-opens.
The bubble seems heavily supported by massive top end inflation, and by that I mean the 1% and upper echelon salaries are stretching further and further from the median and mean.