PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
After the dust settles from AMC, I'm transferring to a different platform. I know it'll freeze my holdings for like 7 days, but it won't matter. I'm long on my other stocks I own at the moment.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The arrogance is on another level of anything we've seen. I think these assholes are epitome of greed, while not caring for your fellow man. Frankly, I hope this situation brings sweeping change. I had a friend earlier say, "why can't it just be stock? why is there margin/options/shorting/etc?" All those things benefited the institution/hedge funds, until now. They squeezed the retail investor for decades making billions off the backs of all of us. And now THEY cry foul. Yeah, piss off I'm not buying it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The arrogance is on another level of anything we've seen. I think these assholes are epitome of greed, while not caring for your fellow man. Frankly, I hope this situation brings sweeping change. I had a friend earlier say, "why can't it just be stock? why is there margin/options/shorting/etc?" All those things benefited the institution/hedge funds, until now. They squeezed the retail investor for decades making billions off the backs of all of us. And now THEY cry foul. Yeah, piss off I'm not buying it.

Because.... it adds liquidity to the markets!

Aka read "It gives greedy traders the ability to risk more of other people's money to make themselves more money."

I have zero doubt margin, leverage, options, shorting, could all be used responsibly by someone, but not by the greedy Wall Street we have now.

They have shown they will invent nonsensical financial tools and force the govt to not regulate them, create major risk for financial crisis, and not care because they'll walk away with plenty of money in the end and the taxpayer will bail them out.

If we're bailing these greedy fucks out, then we should set the rules, not them.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Watching history is always interesting and this particular issue has the potential to be a game changer and quite possibly a needed one. Part of this 64yro boomer has admitted trepidation about what disruption and upheaval will do to his well planned and now decent sized portfolio that a lotta work and most of his life savings have gone into but the stone cold progressive in me that walked out of high school to protest the war before most of you were born says......let em fucking have it!
Even though I struggle to grasp some of the motivation involved at the start of this movement and it is a movement and it ain't goin' away,the thing for me to remember is I'm a small,retail investor too(my portfolio is absolute chicken feed to the establishment)and restricting trading to another small,retail investor(even a trader)so some fucking billionaire can protect his position is absolute bullshit and has to be addressed.
Let's hope all of this lays bare the many inequities of the markets and financial institutions in general and let's hope we se some much needed reform regarding these short selling fucking vultures too.
Maybe you have to be a bit long in the tooth to realize "what's old is always new again" because this is far from the first 'short squeeze' I've seen and I had to endure the 'shorters' on the way up with Tessla and AMD.......both cost the 'shorters' billions.
Maybe this time is different(I've said a thousand times)and maybe disruption is necessary,it might adversely affect the market and my portfolio along with it but I feel I'm positioned well with well run companies of the future. My recent investments have been exclusively 'next gen' stuff like AARK funds so have at it whippersnappers........make the establishment howl!

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watching history is always interesting and this particular issue has the potential to be a game changer and quite possibly a needed one. Part of this 64yro boomer has admitted trepidation about what disruption and upheaval will do to his well planned and now decent sized portfolio that a lotta work and most of his life savings have gone into but the stone cold progressive in me that walked out of high school to protest the war before most of you were born says......let em fucking have it!
Even though I struggle to grasp some of the motivation involved at the start of this movement and it is a movement and it ain't goin' away,the thing for me to remember is I'm a small.retail investor too(my portfolio is absolute chicken feed to the establishment)and restricting trading to another small,retail investor(even a trader)so some fucking billionaire can protect his position is absolute bullshit and has to be addressed.
Let's hope all of this lays bare the many inequities of the markets and financial institutions in general and let's hope we se some much needed reform regarding these short selling fucking vultures too.
Maybe you have to be a bit long in the tooth to realize "what's old is always new again" because this is far from the first 'short squeeze' I've seen and I had to endure the 'shorters' on the way up with Tessla and AMD.......both cost the 'shorters' billions.
Maybe this time is different(I've said a thousand times)and maybe disruption in necessary,it might adversely affect the market and my portfolio along with it but I feel I'm positioned well with well run companies of the future. My recent investments have been exclusively 'next gen' stuff like AARK funds so have it whippersnappers........make the establishment howl!

Crowdfunding a short squeeze is new, and makes me think they can crowdfund a variety of "stick it to the man" trades in the future.

The more it goes on, the more Wall Street will continue to try to rig the game and get sued.

The more politicians will be forced to pursue regulation, if for no other reason than to save Wall Street from being eaten alive.

I hear alot of "Wall Street is making a killing, this is not hurting them."

And to that I say... "Just wait, they'll come for you next."

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because.... it adds liquidity to the markets!

Aka read "It gives greedy traders the ability to risk more of other people's money to make themselves more money."

I have zero doubt margin, leverage, options, shorting, could all be used responsibly by someone, but not by the greedy Wall Street we have now.

They have shown they will invent nonsensical financial tools and force the govt to not regulate them, create major risk for financial crisis, and not care because they'll walk away with plenty of money in the end and the taxpayer will bail them out.

If we're bailing these greedy fucks out, then we should set the rules, not them.
You can't regulate or tax the 'job creators'!.........LOFL!
These hedge fund managers are some of the highest income fucks in the country and all they do is make money with other people's money. They build nothing,they manufacture nothing,they possess no vision of the future and they employ a remarkably few people while they rake in hundreds of millions personally by gaining a rigged system.

The establishment will kick back when they're kicked in the balls and they'll spit back when you spit in their face but here's the thing.........they're gonna kick you in the balls and spit in your face regardless so let em fuckin' have it!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

"After 20 years, we noticed something. Where we started Citron was supposed to be against the establishment. We've actually become the establishment," Left said, adding that "its completely now lost its focus."

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
But you could've done the exact same thing if you signed up at TDA or E-Trade.

That's what I don't grasp, how does Robinhood offer anything different from platforms that existed for years before them?

Were they just like ahead of (leading) the curve on cheap/0$ trades?
fractional shares?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
fractional shares?

I get fractional shares on TDA with my DRIP.

I don't believe Robinhood has any exclusivity on fractional shares, but maybe?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
fractional shares?

RH just added fractional shares recently. I went to RH because it was simple and quick. I do like the platform. My first account was Fidelity and I was so confused. Now though, I kind of understand what I'm looking at, so it isn't quite as daunting as it was.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

LOOK MOTHERFUCKER PEOPLE JUST LIKE RH OK?????

I FEEL THREATENED.

For reals tho, why do you guys who use RH like it? Become and adult and talk to Chuck! He now owns TDA so you could talk to TDA buy essentially you are still talking to Chuck.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Honestly, you're pretty much asking why people like certain brands of cereal.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The reason fidelity, td Ameritrade, etc now offer zero commission trades, is because of robinhood. If robinhood had never come along offering zero commission trades, the others would never of switched to zero commission. There’s a reason they hadn’t for like you know, 100 years of existence. They didn’t just decide it was a nice thing to do for people, they did it because competition moved in on them offering it. So, while now it might be like...how the hell does robinhood even exist...if they never had we wouldnt have the free trading we do today, and thus, the Wall Street bettors prob wouldn’t exist today either.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The reason fidelity, td Ameritrade, etc now offer zero commission trades, is because of robinhood. If robinhood had never come along offering zero commission trades, the others would never of switched to zero commission. There’s a reason they hadn’t for like you know, 100 years of existence. They didn’t just decide it was a nice thing to do for people, they did it because competition moved in on them offering it. So, while now it might be like...how the hell does robinhood even exist...if they never had we wouldnt have the free trading we do today, and thus, the Wall Street bettors prob wouldn’t exist today either.
Commissions were slowly getting lower and lower as the years went on prior to Robinhood though. I think Fidelity was down to $4.95 prior to Robinhood's rise.

When I did most of my investing in the early 2010s, they charged $7.95 per trade.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Honestly, you're pretty much asking why people like certain brands of cereal.

Cept this brand of cereal sells itself as NEW and INNOVATIVE and for the YOUNG TECH SAVVY INVESTOR.

I was just trying to understand if Robinhood had unique features or something that drew people to it instead of TDA or Chuck or Fidelity or E-Trade.

I wasn't trying to pick on anyone or even denigrate the platform... I was more/less trying to understand if there were any barriers to people leaving RH and using a new platform... or building their own crowdfunded platform perhaps.

To me it sounds like I've got my answer.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I signed up on Robinhood 2 years ago since my friend wouldn't stop talking about it. I put in $500, bought some stock that was recommended to me and hedged my bet with a gold stock since that was generally a good thing to have if the market went down, which it really hasn't. Both stocks were losing money for awhile.. I didn't check it for a real long time, not until last April really... COVID actually oddly brought both up enough to where I was making $200+ in profit.. Still pretty much am at this point as its all plateaued....I'm probably just going to sell those soon and close my Robinhood account.
You probably have low enough profit to just cash out, pay the tax, and transfer the money to Fidelity. If you are up too much and don't want to pay the tax, I believe you can pay a $75 fee and just transfer your stock to Fidelity. I could be completely wrong though, so someone feel free to correct me.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Cept this brand of cereal sells itself as NEW and INNOVATIVE and for the YOUNG TECH SAVVY INVESTOR.

I was just trying to understand if Robinhood had unique features or something that drew people to it instead of TDA or Chuck or Fidelity or E-Trade.

I wasn't trying to pick on anyone or even denigrate the platform... I was more/less trying to understand if there were any barriers to people leaving RH and using a new platform... or building their own crowdfunded platform perhaps.

I think it was, it's not anymore. Plus, when they first hit the scene, there was a decent ad blitz targeted at people our age. And, I believe it was kind of seen as anti-establishment. I think as the investor gains a little knowledge, it's easy to outgrow RH. Pretty sure Webull is about to become the new milennial/gen Z platform.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You probably have low enough profit to just cash out, pay the tax, and transfer the money to Fidelity. If you are up too much and don't want to pay the tax, I believe you can pay a $75 fee and just transfer your stock to Fidelity. I could be completely wrong though, so someone feel free to correct me.
I sold everything this morning..will transfer everything to my bank account when it lets me.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think it was also that they allowed people to buy fractional shares. And crypto.

I am looking into transferring all my stocks to Fidelity. I already had a brokerage on Fidelity and mostly did index funds. I did individual stocks on RH. And jokingly bought 10 's of thousands of dogecoin at $0.002. It was up to $0.08 last night, which I find pretty funny. I can't transfer crypto to Fidelity, so I will have to see how things move in the next few days before completely closing out RH.

EDIT: My bad. I didn't see there was another page to read before replying. Fractional shares has already been mentioned and does not seem to be exclusive to RH.
I will add that I first started on RH because of marketing and getting lured in with a free stock.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it was also that they allowed people to buy fractional shares. And crypto.

I am looking into transferring all my stocks to Fidelity. I already had a brokerage on Fidelity and mostly did index funds. I did individual stocks on RH. And jokingly bought 10 's of thousands of dogecoin at $0.002. It was up to $0.08 last night, which I find pretty funny. I can't transfer crypto to Fidelity, so I will have to see how things move in the next few days before completely closing out RH.

Good point, if you can buy/sell crypto in addition to stocks/bonds/ETFs/etc.

I keep them separate, Coinbase for crypto and TDA/E-Trade for the rest.