Stock Market/Investing

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
You didnt YOLO anything during the crazy run up? Sort of hard not to! I vultured the last bottom but this one is going to be gradual IMO.

What sort of hospitality franchisee are you?

I never trade public stocks because I don't have any meaningful advantages over other investors, to me it's like going to the race track or sports book - fun things to do but not where I allocate my investments. I do have some measure of subject-matter expertise in the other areas I mentioned where i do invest.

My hospitality portfolio is primarily fast-casual dining (e.g., Applebee's), with some crap-fast-food (Arby's, Taco Bell), and a few budget-level business hotels.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I never trade public stocks because I don't have any meaningful advantages over other investors, to me it's like going to the race track or sports book - fun things to do but not where I allocate my investments. I do have some measure of subject-matter expertise in the other areas I mentioned where i do invest.

My hospitality portfolio is primarily fast-casual dining (e.g., Applebee's), with some crap-fast-food (Arby's, Taco Bell), and a few budget-level business hotels.

You are no doubt wealthier than I. But I day trade and I feel like I do have an advantage because the charts can be technically read and reacted to by the minute. My longer term stocks are subject to the ups and downs and I don't touch them.
I don't have the equity for something like silently owning franchises.
I have rental properties and I invest and day trade the market. And then there is my day job.
You aren't on my level though. You are above me on the food chain.
Do you ever hard money lend? That's my latest passive investment opportunity.
Thanks for your input.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You are no doubt wealthier than I. But I day trade and I feel like I do have an advantage because the charts can be technically read and reacted to by the minute. My longer term stocks are subject to the ups and downs and I don't touch them.
I have rental properties and I invest and day trade the market. And then there is my day job.
Thanks for your input.

His wealth makes me feel threatened...

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
His wealth makes me feel threatened...
@xer0h0ur is also building generational wealth through crypto currency.
@RacerX Did you gain any of your generational wealth through the crypto block chain world?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@xer0h0ur is also building generational wealth through crypto currency.
@RacerX Did you gain any of your generational wealth through the crypto block chain world?

I'm in crypto as well.

I've got positions in... cash, bonds, stocks, real-estate, crypto, and now a couple startups via StartEngine.

I am so wealthy I was thinking about hiring @RacerX to be my butler.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I'm in crypto as well.

I've got positions in... cash, bonds, stocks, real-estate, crypto, and now a couple startups via StartEngine.

I got into this opportunity yesterday...
You see everyone buys household products right? And they buy them from stores
But what if I told you that you can buy from me?!?!
And you would be under my business as a direct line OG. And then you get people to buy from you and they are under you. So when everyone makes money, we ALL make money!
I'm so entrepreneur, I'm the entreprenewist.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Thanks for your input.

I will clarify, and this type of hospitality investment profile does not require great wealth, but it does require connections.

I am far too risk-averse to invest independently and directly in any franchises, and I don’t want to have any oversight of say, an Arby’s in Kentucky. Hard pass.

I invest in a fund or with a consortium of investors into the equity of a block of Master franchise operators, or, as a first preference, I place a tranche of mezzanine debt behind their primary lender if their balance sheet and projected cash flows support it.

Private corporate placements are all about connections for deal flow, and I will only dabble in the couple sectors where I have subject-matter expertise.

As far as day-trading, I admire and respect what you do, but it scares the shit out of me.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
I'm in crypto as well.

I would be useless as a servant unless you required gardening, cooking, weed & tequila consumption, or a tennis lesson. Not ashamed to admit my wife is in charge of household repairs and maintenance, all you will find in my tool box is a phone and a credit card.

edit: and I know nothing about crypto

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

whoa...Taco Bell crap fast food?! you’ve lost all credibility now!

RacerX

Liked Posts:
whoa...Taco Bell crap fast food?! you’ve lost all credibility now!

LOL, fun fact that all my friends have a hard time believing but true: I have never even tasted Taco Bell food, not once. The only fast food I eat is Portillo’s once annually on my pilgrimage to Chi.

Growing up we used to get our drunk Mexican shit food at Taco-Burrito Palace and at Aranda.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
LOL, fun fact that all my friends have a hard time believing but true: I have never even tasted Taco Bell food, not once. The only fast food I eat is Portillo’s once annually on my pilgrimage to Chi.

Growing up we used to get our drunk Mexican shit food at Taco-Burrito Palace and at Aranda.

mother fucker has never eaten Taco Bell...that proves someone’s wealth a hell of a lot more than claims of Porsche’s and farms lol

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I will clarify, and this type of hospitality investment profile does not require great wealth, but it does require connections.

I am far too risk-averse to invest independently and directly in any franchises, and I don’t want to have any oversight of say, an Arby’s in Kentucky. Hard pass.

I invest in a fund or with a consortium of investors into the equity of a block of Master franchise operators, or, as a first preference, I place a tranche of mezzanine debt behind their primary lender if their balance sheet and projected cash flows support it.

Private corporate placements are all about connections for deal flow, and I will only dabble in the couple sectors where I have subject-matter expertise.

As far as day-trading, I admire and respect what you do, but it scares the shit out of me.

Forgive my inquisitiveness here...
If you are behind Senior debt, how do you get paid if the franchisee goes belly up? His debtors take their cut, the government takes their cut and you as backup debt are left hanging?
Or is your fund backup financing? You get paid before shareholders of fund? Cash interest?

That does sound like you have to know someone who knows someone. That is a lot of accounting trust.
I take it that it works for you and is lucrative?

I am being courted for hard money lending. I get 14% and no say. Which is nice but I don't like being courted/sold. There are minimums and if the Original Senior investors are so good, what do they need my money for?

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Forgive my inquisitiveness here...
If you are behind Senior debt, how do you get paid if the franchisee goes belly up? His debtors take their cut, the government takes their cut and you as backup debt are left hanging?
Or is your fund backup financing? You get paid before shareholders of fund? Cash interest?

That does sound like you have to know someone who knows someone. That is a lot of accounting trust.
I take it that it works for you and is lucrative?

I am being courted for hard money lending. I get 14% and no say. Which is nice but I don't like being courted/sold. There are minimums and if the Original Senior investors are so good, what do they need my money for?

That is an astute observation, and the right question to ask. The Mezz debt is subordinated to the primary lender but is senior to the equity holders.

It is indeed risk capital, but a very measured risk. The rate returns are typically 12-14% quarterly interest dividends plus a couple points of equity kicker.

Before I invest, all the following elements must be in place: a strong operator with a proven track record of returning money to his investors, a primary lender that understands the underlying business and has issued reasonable terms, a strong equity position on the balance sheet, and most importantly I will build (or more commonly, borrow) my own downside DCF model.

And your instincts are spot-on: run away when being courted for these investments, they are something you want to chase and never gratuitously receive.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Any of you degenerates get in on the palantir ipo today? I nibbled into a position at just over $10

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I grabbed some at $9.86

I grabbed more at the same price

and now just doubled my position at 9.53

and now bought the same amount that had doubled my position at 9.29 lol

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I grabbed more at the same price

and now just doubled my position at 9.53

and now bought the same amount that had doubled my position at 9.29 lol

Hey man, if you like this company and their mission/story... and you got the capital to invest, fucking do it, right?

I read up on them a bit when you mentioned it, and liked what I saw.

My intent is to hang on to investments like this for 4-5 years minimum.