Strome and Kubalik Issued QO's

Granada

Liked Posts:

Kind of sounds like Caggs and KoKo are gone. I would have liked Caggs back in the bottom six for his physicality, but not the end of the world if he goes. KoKo I won't really miss either and I think we all knew that was coming.

I don't like offering Strome a QO; I would have let him walk.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

Kind of sounds like Caggs and KoKo are gone. I would have liked Caggs back in the bottom six for his physicality, but not the end of the world if he goes. KoKo I won't really miss either and I think we all knew that was coming.

I agree, and What was the QO?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
What are the numbers we're looking at here?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm guessing Strome will be an affordable option, probably not the best option but he should fit the budget. Koko looked good in the post season but pretty useless before, so that's not a surprise. They probably have younger, more affordable options to do what Caggs did.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm guessing Strome will be an affordable option, probably not the best option but he should fit the budget. Koko looked good in the post season but pretty useless before, so that's not a surprise. They probably have younger, more affordable options to do what Caggs did.

Yeah...if we learned our lesson with Shaw it should have been that you should get the best years out of those diminutive physical guys and part ways before their frame fails.

Sometimes I just wanted Caggs to play more hockey, a guy that kind of got stuck with that role because nobody else had heart, but he was better skating and attacking.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Strome at a fair price.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I agree, and What was the QO?

Yeah not sure, I was trying to find that out myself last night by checking some Hawk beat writer twitter accounts, but they didn't have the numbers either. Both players made under 1 million last year, so I assume it's near double their salary give or take, but I'm just guessing.

Granada

Liked Posts:

The thing with Strome, for me, is that he isn't a 3rd line center; and he's a poor-man's second line center. He doesn't particularly skate well, he's terrible at face-offs, his two-way game isn't anything special, he plays small. I guess maybe the plan is to use him as a stop-gap in case Dach falters and/or is not truly ready for full-time 2LC -- but assuming Dach is the future 2LC, I don't believe Strome should be in the Hawks' plans going forward (long-term).

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Saw somewhere that Kubliak is close to re-signing at between 3.7-3.9m for 3 years. Strome was 2.5m for 2 years.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Saw somewhere that Kubliak is close to re-signing at between 3.7-3.9m for 3 years. Strome was 2.5m for 2 years.

I like that figure for Kub, not so much for Strome who is just a sweater-filler. If he gets $2.5 x 2 years, I predict fans will tire of him by the second year of that contract and scream for him to be shipped out. At least it's not as risky as the contracts for Shaw and D-Cat which look horrible in retrospect.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Kubalik signing is dirt cheap.

Good job, Stan.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Confirmed with Kubalik (and Subban). I suppose I'm fine with the Subban contract too; at first I though it was one-year at 1.7 million, but just noticed it's for two at 850,000 per, so that's fine. Only 2 years with Kubalik though instead of 3.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Confirmed with Kubalik (and Subban). I suppose I'm fine with the Subban contract too; at first I though it was one-year at 1.7 million, but just noticed it's for two at 850,000 per, so that's fine. Only 2 years with Kubalik though instead of 3.

I'm fine with the two years. The question is if he will be a regular 30 goal guy. He certainly isn't another Breadman.....I hope he continues to be an excellent closer but there's no guarantee of that. Pretty good guess that's the Hawks thought process as well.

With Subban, I think we might want to see him play a bit before we judge. I keep reading that's he's trash, personally.....I haven't seen enough of him to know that.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Agreed - no goalie is going to perform well behind our pathetic excuse for a defense, might as well go cheap and into the tank.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

It’s a good signing at a decent price, at the. very least the Hawks can evaluate him in the next 2 years, is he going to be the constant goal scorer we saw or turn into Richard Panik.

Granada

Liked Posts:
It’s a good signing at a decent price, at the. very least the Hawks can evaluate him in the next 2 years, is he going to be the constant goal scorer we saw or turn into Richard Panik.

Yup exactly -- I actually like the shorter term for the same reasons you and DHF said. I just hope he doesn't turn into another Debrincat. Teams will know now that they can't sleep on Kubalik anymore, so hopefully, he handles that better and continues to consistently produce.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed - no goalie is going to perform well behind our pathetic excuse for a defense, might as well go cheap and into the tank.
In theory, maybe. In practice if the goal is to see what we got in Lankinen, Delia, or even Subban you want a cheap vet backing them up who's been there, done, that, and can help them deal with a Team Defense led by geriatrics.

With what Elliott and Lunqvist signed for, they would have lost ~700k on a goaltender of that ilk over Subban, they would have still embraced the tank, and would have at the same time began development of the next gen of goalie. If Crawford resigning was a non-starter (and that's what it looked like), They should have went fishing on the vet scrap-heap--of course assuming they aren't right now. But if that was the case what then? Say they blag one of Andersen, Howard, Schneider, etc. Then it's one of thewm + Subban--so much for bringing the youth along.

As for Koob: Probably the best reacquisition Stan made so far--but that's 1 victory over a metric shit-tonne of losses.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
In theory, maybe. In practice if the goal is to see what we got in Lankinen, Delia, or even Subban you want a cheap vet backing them up who's been there, done, that, and can help them deal with a Team Defense led by geriatrics.

With what Elliott and Lunqvist signed for, they would have lost ~700k on a goaltender of that ilk over Subban, they would have still embraced the tank, and would have at the same time began development of the next gen of goalie. If Crawford resigning was a non-starter (and that's what it looked like), They should have went fishing on the vet scrap-heap--of course assuming they aren't right now. But if that was the case what then? Say they blag one of Andersen, Howard, Schneider, etc. Then it's one of thewm + Subban--so much for bringing the youth along.

As for Koob: Probably the best reacquisition Stan made so far--but that's 1 victory over a metric shit-tonne of losses.
There is nothing Stan can do to redeem himself, even one small victory doesn’t equate to shit. I lost all faith in him when he shipped the Breadman out and Hammer, my hatred for him started at that moment.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is nothing Stan can do to redeem himself, even one small victory doesn’t equate to shit. I lost all faith in him when he shipped the Breadman out and Hammer, my hatred for him started at that moment.
Never said there was a redeeming factor for Bowman the Beancounter. Every now an then a blind squirrel finds a nut.