Strome Signed 2 Year $3M Cap Hit

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Need bodies. And this doesn't hurt the long term rebuild. Can't complain too much

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm cool with it. Cheap enough for what Strom has brought to the table and short enough term. Now he's just gotta put his cap hit where his mouth is.

also...
Well, 3 mil for a 2C is a steal. The only problem with that is, that's all Strome can play and needs to be sheltered on top of it.
Agreed; all players need to be judged and signed by output and not deployment. Strome may be a #2C (now a #1C) on a very weak 'hawks squad...but if you look at Colorado, Tampa, etc., How far down would he be slotted? 3M for a #2C might be a steal but how many centers in the league are ranked above him in terms of raw output?

To wit: We could claim that 850k is dirt cheap for a starter goalie...but if that goalie is a career .899 and doesn't improve it just means you're paying 850k for a goalie that is probably ranked 31 out of 31--or lower if the backups have better games.

I do want to reiterate that I like this deal--it's cheap enough that it's movable (and no clauses) and it's short enough that we can get out from under it (and sooner than Seabrook!).
The cat will have to play with somebody. The team will need to spread the wealth to a certain degree, to at the very least ,make the games somewhat competitive for the opponent.
Exactly. Given how much El Gato makes this season, I think he's going to get every chance to play up to his 6.4M paycheck. Not that it's a bad thing since I think last season was a sophomore slump, but with how barren the team is you can bwet he'll have some significant deployment.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Well, they're already running a Cat/Strome/Kane line in camp.....

Granada

Liked Posts:
Well, 3 mil for a 2C is a steal. The only problem with that is, that's all Strome can play and needs to be sheltered on top of it.

Now that he's being upgraded to 1C, he will be eaten alive by other 1Cs because of his lack of speed and refusal to play even average defense.

I hope he proves me wrong, or that JC is going to mix up the lines because honestly Kane can carry a line by himself and is such a threat teams will be focusing on him, but I can't see JC doing that and stacking one scoring line.

If you had..

Cat/Strome/Shaw
Kubi/Soder/Kane

I like the idea of Kane with a pure shooter and a sheltered Strome line considering Kubi and Soder can back check then two bottom mucker lines.

But then you look at that defense and goaltending and say "fuck it this team is the shits why bother"

I'd be fine with those lines, at least to start. I like Strome and Debrincat together because they've shown they play best when on the same line.

The concern you have with Strome is fair enough, but at least he is a top-six center -- so playing against an opposition's first or second line shouldn't be all that dramatic of a difference compared to asking a 3LC to do so. Strome isn't ideal and he shouldn't be on a top line, but he is the next man up and the best option considering the current situation. Also, with those lines, I feel like opposing teams would view Kane's line as the top-line anyway; and pair their second lines against Strome's, as Kane is by far the biggest threat in our lineup and teams now know how dangerous Kubalik can be -- they'll draw the opposition's top pairings, I'd think.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Drake Caggiula is currently playing for the Arizona Coyotes.

Yup. The Yotes' fetish for ex-Hawk players continues, lol.

Everyone probably already knows and it might be posted in some other thread, but while we're on the subject, KoKo got signed elsewhere too (Oilers).

I think Caligula (got to get in the nickname while I can) can be a decent "energy guy" 4th liner on a deep team. I did like the physicality he brought but he's not a humongous loss by any means.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I'd be fine with those lines, at least to start. I like Strome and Debrincat together because they've shown they play best when on the same line.

The concern you have with Strome is fair enough, but at least he is a top-six center -- so playing against an opposition's first or second line shouldn't be all that dramatic of a difference compared to asking a 3LC to do so. Strome isn't ideal and he shouldn't be on a top line, but he is the next man up and the best option considering the current situation. Also, with those lines, I feel like opposing teams would view Kane's line as the top-line anyway; and pair their second lines against Strome's, as Kane is by far the biggest threat in our lineup and teams now know how dangerous Kubalik can be -- they'll draw the opposition's top pairings, I'd think.
Well the great thing about Kane is he's gonna score regardless who's playing against him so that's a positive.

I'm intrigued with Suter, altho he isn't in camp.

Someone mentioned Alty, and I'm gonna point out right now he's either boom or bust and if he was a boom he would have been drafted higher then he was.

If they really think this team is a playoff contender, there's huge expectations on young players that isn't fair to their development. Maybe Mitchell is a knockoff DK. That would help, but forcing the kid into top four minutes isn't smart, imo.

If Seabrook is LTIR'd along with Toews, that's almost 20 million in cap space. If Stan isn't taking bad one year contracts along with high draft picks he's a fool. But something tells me he will use that cap space to stock up the team for a run then Toews and Dach will be ready for the playoffs.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Everyone probably already knows and it might be posted in some other thread, but while we're on the subject, KoKo got signed elsewhere too (Oilers).

I think Caligula (got to get in the nickname while I can) can be a decent "energy guy" 4th liner on a deep team. I did like the physicality he brought but he's not a humongous loss by any means.

I think nearly everyone but Rask was aware of it....

I will say this, he at least made me take a look at the Arizona roster and as you mentioned....they have morphed into Chicago Southwest. I think there are 5 or 6 ex-Hawks currently on their roster.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Hard to argue with for 700K