Sunshine, Rainbows, and Diversity Hires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Yes it does get you draft picks as far as I know. A way to recoup some of those picks Pace gave away.
You get a compensatory 3rd this year and a 3rd next year for both executive and head coach hires

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The rule is the other way around. The former team of the diversity hire getd the picks not the hiring team.

The rule is to encourage teams to develop minority candidates.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
The rule is the other way around. The former team of the diversity hire getd the picks not the hiring team.

The rule is to encourage teams to develop minority candidates.

is the word minority defined by the NFL anywhere? Minority as compared to what and where?

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
My Fond memories of dating a Polish woman and spending Easter weekend with her as her mom loaded up wicker baskets with sausage (smoked and natural) , lamb chops, lamb shaped butter, pierogis, potatoes, cabbage and these incredible hand rolled dumplings that were referred to as “Lead Sinkers” and for some odd reason leftover home Run innPizza ? We took the baskets across the street to the old Polish church on Saturday for the food to be blessed before Sunday dinner. Football was over by that time so the Bears would not ruin Easter dinner. It was a beautiful, diverse, and inclusive dinner.
Cocunut lamb cake is another Polish favorite for Easter..I can't find one down south to save my soul

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
is the word minority defined by the NFL anywhere? Minority as compared to what and where?

Non-white. Also white Hispanic so Ron Rivera qualifies.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Non-white. Also white Hispanic so Ron Rivera qualifies.

Are you guessing or is this written somewhere? This would exclude white women and the word white itself has to be defined as some minorities are sometimes conceived of as 'white' and sometimes not, i.e. European Jews, people from western Asia.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you guessing or is this written somewhere? This would exclude white women and the word white itself has to be defined as some minorities are sometimes conceived of as 'white' and sometimes not, i.e. European Jews, people from western Asia.

It is the same as has always been the case for the Rooney rule. White Women would also be a minority.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
It is the same as has always been the case for the Rooney rule. White Women would also be a minority.

So none of this is consistent because white women are certainly not a minority demographically among the general population, they are the majority, numerically speaking. They are a minority only in the sense that there aren't a lot of them in the NFL. The opposite is true for black americans, they're not the minority in the NFL but they are a minority demographically within the general U.S. population.

There's a lot of subjectivity and inconsistency here. Which is par for the course when talking about American racial categories. They hold true only in North America, but if you travel outside into the wider world it becomes apparent that people don't conceive themselves within the boundaries of how Americans think about black/white racial categories.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So none of this is consistent because white women are certainly not a minority demographically among the general population, they are the majority, numerically speaking. They are a minority only in the sense that there aren't a lot of them in the NFL. The opposite is true for black americans, they're not the minority in the NFL but they are a minority demographically within the general U.S. population.

There's a lot of subjectivity and inconsistency here. Which is par for the course when talking about American racial categories. They hold true only in North America, but if you travel outside into the wider world it becomes apparent that people don't conceive themselves within the boundaries of how Americans think about black/white racial categories.

White women and black americans are minorities with respect to NFL exec and coaching positions.

There is nothing subjective or inconsistent as the term has always been within the context of NFL exec and coaching positions where white men are the majority.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
White women and black americans are minorities with respect to NFL exec and coaching positions.

There is nothing subjective or inconsistent as the term has always been within the context of NFL exec and coaching positions where white men are the majority.

So what is the NFL aiming for here, representation that reflects the demographics of the general U.S. population? Should half of all coaches and execs be women just because half of all people in the U.S. are women?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
So what is the NFL aiming for here, representation that reflects the demographics of the general U.S. population? Should half of all coaches and execs be women just because half of all people in the U.S. are women?
No, the point is to give anyone a fair shot. 2006, was the first black head coach to win a super bowl. Ozzie Newsome became the first black GM in 2002., so in short.. not long ago. The NFL, not long ago was a predominantly white <male> from coaches up.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Lessening the influence of the good ol' boys network.

No, the point is to give anyone a fair shot. 2006, was the first black head coach to win a super bowl. Ozzie Newsome became the first black GM in 2002., so in short.. not long ago. The NFL, not long ago was a predominantly white <male> from coaches up.

But this seems very vague, if we have a goal there has to be a metric by which we measure to know when we've arrived at that goal.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
But this seems very vague, if we have a goal there has to be a metric by which we measure to know when we've arrived at that goal.
Have you noticed the change in demographics of GMs and coaches since Art Shell in the early 90s?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Have you noticed the change in demographics of GMs and coaches since Art Shell in the early 90s?

I don't pay attention to these sorts of things enough to notice, but my point remains; if we set a goal we have to have a metric by which to measure progress or else we'll never know when we've arrived at the goal. Maybe keeping it vague and open-ended is the point. What I do notice is that pushes toward diversity have a way of punishing people who've committed no wrongs. There is a push to disenfranchise Asians in higher education because some people feel they are over-represented. There was a similar push in the Soviet Union to disenfranchise Jews from universities because some people felt they were overrepresented. I don't necessarily believe that a group being overrepresented in one field or another is de facto evidence that an injustice has occurred to some other group, nor do I believe that pushes toward 'diversity, equity and inclusion' are necessarily well-intentioned or result in just outcomes. They can, but it's a difficult line to straddle, and leaving the goal vague and open-ended is a bad sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.