Supposedly the recent Fields trade rumors came from Flores

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Took me a while to find it. So much stuff out there. That's why I only truly take Shefter and Rapoport to heart. But, here ya go:

Here is the "source" part of the article:

A source indicated that some candidates the Bears have met with thus far stated they weren’t overly high on Fields. They had different ideas about what direction to go at quarterback. It isn’t clear how McCaskey or his interview team reacted one way or the other. Still, the exact scenario many wondered about has happened.

Ah Éric on sportsmockery lol. It’s a possibility it’s true however

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If Flores is that invested in Watson, he'd just go to Houston. No team, especially with their own promising young quarterback, would want to trade significant resources for that amount of baggage.
Per the Texans GM he thinks Watson has played his last game there. Flores interviewed there I believe already as well.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A lot of times new GM’s build the OL and WR corps in their first season(s) and then draft their QB when more is in place. And then win on that QB’s rookie contract. And extend the QB if it’s warranted.

Conventional wisdom is that the Bears won’t be competitive next year. That is another year out of Fields’ deal, where he’s liable to again put up less than stellar numbers on a rebuilding team.

The next years, as the team building goes along, the GM might have to make a premature decision on extending Fields before the actual winning begins.

How many of these GM candidates would choose Fields over having the two first round draft picks in hand to go after their guys?

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

There are some other tweets out there that I didn't copy here but supposedly when Flores interviewed with the Bears, he pitched trading Justin Fields for deshaun Watson.

And Flores is determined to have DeShaun Watson wherever he goes. So wherever he lands, he wants to trade for watson. That's his guy and his mind....

Take that for whatever it's worth, and definitely with a grain of salt.
That would take quite a pair of balls to propose in my mind. We know Watson is an idiot sounds like Flores is as well.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I read an article yesterday that said more than one GM interviewed by the Bears is not comfortable with Fields and would look for an alternate quarterback plan. I am not going to agree or disagree with that opinion. However, I find it very hard to believe that if this did happen it would have leaked out, at least so quickly.

If Adam Shefter says it, it's probably true. Most of the other sources except Rapoport just seem to improvise.
That makes as much sense as the lies about fields work ethic etc, etc etc.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
1. Flores obsession with Watson is beyond weird. I want no part of this psycho as the Bears HC.

2. If ownership is dumb enough to sign off on trading a talent like Fields away after trading up for him last year based off a handful of games under Nagy's pathetic excuse for a 'system' I'm done as a Bears fan.
I'm with you, I lasted 50+ years but that would do it for me.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
1. Flores obsession with Watson is beyond weird. I want no part of this psycho as the Bears HC.

2. If ownership is dumb enough to sign off on trading a talent like Fields away after trading up for him last year based off a handful of games under Nagy's pathetic excuse for a 'system' I'm done as a Bears fan.
I would be with you.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
What's likely is this is the Flores camp leaking. Seriously, there's so much shit, its impossible to keep it straight what's real and what isn't, and what's coming from these interviewees or their agents, and whats actually coming from the Bears.

Remember, we are dealing with an industry that thinks putting a hangnail on an injury report is a competitive disadvantage, so there is no telling what these nutjobs will run to the rumor mill with if they think it can land them the job.
Why would Flores camp leak a rumor like that? If he's not interested in the job just say no. I'm missing something?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Well, you can always hope for the McCaskeys to trade the team to some mega-billionaire who will treat the Bears like his personal toy and dump crazy money into the team.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It is possible that Ownership is not happy with Fields development, but not from Fields side of things, more from Nagy and the coaches not developing him. I think ownership is ecstatic about Fields and the story out there about how George was emotionally moved when Fields got his standing ovation/roar of the crowd early in preseason.
Yes to this.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Wasn't the original rumor about the beef between Flores and the Dolphins, is that the owner of the Dolphins wanted Watson at all costs? And Flores was vocal about how stupid it was.

Now there's this. K.
That's true and I read Flores wanted to take Herbert not Tua and owner & GM took Tua.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt the Bear are unhappy with Justin and there is no way under God's heaven that Virginia allows us to trade for Watson before he's exonerated.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Flores is in no position to evalute NFL QBs. He has virtually zero history of coaching offense in the NFL.
He has plenty of experience at firing OC's, I think 4 in 4 years, doesn't have a clue about the offense.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Took me a while to find it. So much stuff out there. That's why I only truly take Shefter and Rapoport to heart. But, here ya go:

Here is the "source" part of the article:

A source indicated that some candidates the Bears have met with thus far stated they weren’t overly high on Fields. They had different ideas about what direction to go at quarterback. It isn’t clear how McCaskey or his interview team reacted one way or the other. Still, the exact scenario many wondered about has happened.

I read this but think everyone on this board thinks that guy is an idiot.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol at alluding to Fields being better than Watson, I sure wouldn’t bet on that. Too QBs don’t come around every draft.

It's funny how some people are totally cool with assuming that Watson's case will actually get resolved in time for him to play next year, with no additional NFL suspension, and that he'll just waltz onto the field after not playing for over a year with absolutely no drop off in performance or production and still be a "top QB"... but then scoff at anyone that makes any assumptions about Fields's future...

Bottom line is there's no guarantee on Watson's timetable or if he'll still the same player he was before, just as there's no guarantee with Fields's future. Either way you're working off assumptions. Raw talent wise it's a wash so all things considered I'd rather stay the course with the younger, bigger, faster version with zero baggage that's still on a rookie contract and doesn't have 22 women accusing him of being a fucking creep. ?‍♂️

If you would rather take your chances with the older, smaller, slower guy that will have been out of football for a year+ and brings along a PR nightmare knock yourself out, I just think it's a dumb move. So dumb in fact I'd straight up quit being a Bears fan if it happened. I've put up with a lot of dumb Bears shit in my lifetime as a Bears fan but this would be the straw the broke the camels back.

The answer to your questions is really fucking simple: winning matters.

And it’s obvious that Flores doesn’t care about “good guy” character and all that. He’s probably a results driven guy, much like the pats are (Hernandez, Antonio Brown, Randy Moss, etc.).

Yeah no shit winning matters, good stuff. I think there's a quite the spectrum between Moss and his weed smoking and Watson grabbing masseuses by the pussy like he's Trump but that's just me. I was all for the Bears drafting Moss in 1998 and was beyond pissed when they didn't.

Look, I'm not arguing that they should build a team of choir boys holding prayer circles in the locker room like Trestman or anything but I don't think you need a team full of scumbags to win either.

I just don't think Watson's is worth the baggage when you already have a potential franchise QB on the team that simply needs a non-Special person person to coach the team.

as for why Watson, despite probably having a relationship with him, what other top performing QB can you get at one the open HC jobs? I’ll wait.

Chicago and Jax drafted the 2 most physically talented QBs to come out in ages. They were 1A-1B their entire high school and college careers and both went to toxic franchises run by shit-tier coaches. If Jax and Chicago hire competent coaches I'd bet my left nut both of those players turn into top performers at their positions again.

The only people that are down on the Jax and Chicago jobs are instant-gratification meatballs that only care about stats and refuse to look at either situation with any nuance.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I doubt the Bear are unhappy with Justin and there is no way under God's heaven that Virginia allows us to trade for Watson before he's exonerated.
I think he will settle with the 800 or so suitors.