Sure sounds like Poles is prepared to move on from Roquan Smith.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
They had a lot of quotes from Poles on the telecast tonight. These are from memory.
"We are comfortable with our offer"
"We are building a team"
"I Like the player"
"Discussion would be different if we were talking about LT, WR, DE, CB"
"Team will likely look quite different in a few weeks"
"we are making progress towards getting the player back on the field."

Sure sounds like they are done making offers and RS will either need to play under his current contract, acquiesce to the Bears offer, or hope to be traded

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Poles slow playing this thing is the right way to go. If Roquan wants top money, make him play out this year at $9.7M then franchise him the next year or two. That way we can pay him top $ one or two years in a row.

The 5th pays higher if the player has been to the pro-bowl. As far as I know that puts Smiths up to $18.7M.

None of the criteria is as low as $9.7 for a LB.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Gotta keep Roquan unless you get a 1st. We have the money.

no one giving up a 1st for roquan.

These games look good! Defense and special teams are swarming to the ball!

I increase my prediction from 9-8 to 10-7, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
no one giving up a 1st for roquan.

These games look good! Defense and special teams are swarming to the ball!

I increase my prediction from 9-8 to 10-7, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Says the man who hates Fields because he is an OSU QB.
I believe Fields will turn out to be the best QB in that class. Man I didn’t see the attraction of Lance ahead of Fields. Wilson has the tools but didn’t play anybody in college. Lawerence plays for the Jags. Jones has a noodle arm. Enough said.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It doesn't benefit the Bears to move on from Roquan right now, and they hold the cards. So I wouldn't expect him to go anywhere unless he goes full nuclear and starts MF'ing the whole organization.

If Roquan holds himself out of the regular season, he risks not accruing service time, and thus would delay his foray into free agency. The Bears, meanwhile, no matter what, own his rights for the next 1-3 years if they want, without his permission. And that's to say nothing of the $500,000+ per week that he'll eventually start losing once the regular season comes around.

The Bears have been very judicious so far on not fining him $40K per day. They hold all the cards. Roquan has no leverage. There's really no reason to expect a trade.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Says the man who hates Fields because he is an OSU QB.
I believe Fields will turn out to be the best QB in that class. Man I didn’t see the attraction of Lance ahead of Fields. Wilson has the tools but didn’t play anybody in college. Lawerence plays for the Jags. Jones has a noodle arm. Enough said.

bears have fielded winning teams with average qb play

rex grossman of all scrubs took them to the superbowl . . . duh

just take a loook seee homey! /barf

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
None of what they said on the telecast was quotes from poles other than he said roquan is a good LB which they then extrapolated to him believing he isn't great, doesn't value his position over those others mentioned, isn't negotiating.

He may have said we are building a team at some point but there is no context as to what he said it about. ESPN doing things like this with his words is what makes a GM never talk with the media again.

Grendel2000

Liked Posts:
What bothers me about the "Sign him! We HAVE THE MONEY!" argument is that while true NOW, it misses the point that you only get a limited number of these big contracts on your team. Said differently, if we sign Ro to a big contract today that's means there's a person we won't be able to sign to a big contract later.

I, for one, believe that the "big contract players" need to be lynchpins of your team. Is Ro absolutely critical to the Bears? I don't think so. Does he make us better? Yes. I just don't think he raises the team to another level. He doesn't force other teams to account for him.

Based on these factors I don't think he should be paid record breaking money.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
None of what they said on the telecast was quotes from poles other than he said roquan is a good LB which they then extrapolated to him believing he isn't great, doesn't value his position over those others mentioned, isn't negotiating.

He may have said we are building a team at some point but there is no context as to what he said it about. ESPN doing things like this with his words is what makes a GM never talk with the media again.
ESPN has to create their hot takes, so the dumb dumbs will watch. ?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You'd like to think Poles is serious in working to keep the team's best player.
Player has to want it

Also, sometimes a player overestimates his value. It's a tough situation to be in, when you trying to get a player to understand that they are very good, but at a position that only has so much value

Forte is the perfect example. Dude even tried FA and still remains salty bout his contracts to this day

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could go either way on Roquan tbh. He isn't a player that wrecks a game week to week. He is very good, but he is also replaceable.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears are still willing to tweak their offer. But it appears Roquan wants much more than a tweak. It’s refreshing to see a HC that is disciplined from the get-go, as well as a GM. Would be easy to give in to get a quick “win” and earn brownie points with the fan base.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Player has to want it

Also, sometimes a player overestimates his value. It's a tough situation to be in, when you trying to get a player to understand that they are very good, but at a position that only has so much value

Forte is the perfect example. Dude even tried FA and still remains salty bout his contracts to this day
Wasn't Briggs similar? Pissed about a franchise tag, held out, finally hit FA and came back to the bears because he wasn't worth what he thought.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
What bothers me about the "Sign him! We HAVE THE MONEY!" argument is that while true NOW, it misses the point that you only get a limited number of these big contracts on your team. Said differently, if we sign Ro to a big contract today that's means there's a person we won't be able to sign to a big contract later.

I, for one, believe that the "big contract players" need to be lynchpins of your team. Is Ro absolutely critical to the Bears? I don't think so. Does he make us better? Yes. I just don't think he raises the team to another level. He doesn't force other teams to account for him.

Based on these factors I don't think he should be paid record breaking money.

Great post and exactly the point.

Let's build a 21st century NFL team that can put up points. Your big money contracts need to be important positions. Roquan does not play one of those positions. It would be nice to keep him, but you don't sacrifice future cap space for a position that isn't essential in today's NFL.