Sveum keeps Jaramillo

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs manager Dale Sveum has made some of his first staff decisions, including retaining well-regarded hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo, one of the top-paid coaches in the game. He’s under contract through 2012.

The two other coaches under contract through next year — bullpen coach Lester Strode and bench coach Pat Listach — also are expected to be asked back.

Sources said first-base coach Bob Dernier and third-base coach Ivan DeJesus were informed they won’t be back. Pitching coach Mark Riggins spoke with Sveum over the weekend, according to a source, and was expected to talk again soon.

‘‘Obviously, I’m happy to be back,’’ Jaramillo said. ‘‘I’m ready to get going.’’

Gordon Wittenmyer

Will shoot myself if Riggins comes back

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who is available as possible pitching coaches?

I wonder if Randy Johnson would be a good coach. It'd probably never happen since he likes bring home but just throwing that out there.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who is available as possible pitching coaches?

I wonder if Randy Johnson would be a good coach. It'd probably never happen since he likes bring home but just throwing that out there.

Anyone would be better then Riggins. Cubs had one of top ERA in NL when Rothchilds was here. The year Riggins takes over Cubs drop to almost dead last.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone would be better then Riggins. Cubs had one of top ERA in NL when Rothchilds was here. The year Riggins takes over Cubs drop to almost dead last.

Didn't help that the defense went to hell.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:

To think, while he was here fans were trying to run him out of town. Now they seem to want him back. Too bad they didn't value him while he was here.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blaming last year's pitching performance on Riggins is unfair to say the least. I wouldn't mind getting a better coach than Riggins but I don't think Mark Riggins is what makes or breaks the Cubs next year.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
the base coaches aren't coming back Riggins is TBA but ive heard he is likely gone.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He never really "fixed" anyone..

Some.. which I'm a part of this.. Basically figure with all the tinkering he did with certain pitchers (early to mid 2000's) Did not help them.

Plus. Has anyone ever actually pitched (even like High School or a JUCO league) and tried the towel drill?

I have. With decent mechanics that I used in that time.. It hurt like fucking hell.. oh yeah and it basically injured my arm.. All because of the "rage" of the towel drill back in the day. The second three of our pitchers went down on my school team from the same thing.. Its not worth it.

Here's a little part of this..

Why The Famous Towel Drill Wastes Time, Ruins Pitching Mechanics And Velocity | Explosive Pitching with Dick Mills | All About Pitching, Ltd.

Here's why the towel drill ruins mechanics and velocity:
the focus is on the arm instead of the body - the arm does not produce pitching velocity
a towel does not feel like a ball...this changes a pitcher's arm action
the towel is never released but a baseball is
the towel drill practices a release position that never occurs when pitching
it encourages trunk flexion without first rotating the trunk
The main reason the towel drill is destructive and a waste of time is that you are practicing an action that never occurs while pitching.

Sooo.. with the stable of pitchers we had back at that time.. (some got hurt by other instances) but by the techniques used.. It's blatantly obvious that at that time those did more damage than good..

Hence why Rothschild stopped using that technique after pitchers wouldn't recover for an extra period of time.

He can stay in New York.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not really sure why fans think Rothschild is the Devil, but here's some reading...

Larry Rothschild and Walks | Articles

The Larry Rothschild Effect | River Avenue Blues

A pitcher is theoretically able to better control his walks, strikeouts, and homers allowed. Rothschild has consistently helped his teams in these areas. Of course, you might suggest that it's better to teach a pitcher how to keep the ball on the ground, (i.e. Dave Duncan) but there's a reason Duncan and Rothschild are among the most successful and well-regarded pitching coaches out there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Clement was the one guy I point to as Rothschild success here. The towel drill was dumb but the usage of our pitchers at the time was most likely the cause of those guys falling apart.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not really sure why fans think Rothschild is the Devil, but here's some reading...

Larry Rothschild and Walks | Articles

The Larry Rothschild Effect | River Avenue Blues

A pitcher is theoretically able to better control his walks, strikeouts, and homers allowed. Rothschild has consistently helped his teams in these areas. Of course, you might suggest that it's better to teach a pitcher how to keep the ball on the ground, (i.e. Dave Duncan) but there's a reason Duncan and Rothschild are among the most successful and well-regarded pitching coaches out there.

You realize the Cubs had on average of nearly 100 (some cases 150+) walks more per season then most teams right?

He didn't do shit.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The big question is, besides Mark Prior and Carlos Silva, who else has been reported to do the towel drill during Larry Rothschild's tenure?

Also, if we're talking about improvement, we can look at how Rothschild helped guys like Jason Marquis and Carlos Silva not suck, at least for a little bit. We can look at the conversion of Ryan Dempster into a solid starting pitcher.

We'll also see next year whether he can fix AJ Burnett before that contract expires.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You realize the Cubs had on average of nearly 100 (some cases 150+) walks more per season then most teams right?

He didn't do shit.

That's fine, but based on what I've read, he did at least something to get outs via the strikeout and to reduce the number of balls that left the park. So saying "he didn't do shit" is probably not right either.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's fine, but based on what I've read, he did at least something to get outs via the strikeout and to reduce the number of balls that left the park. So saying "he didn't do shit" is probably not right either.

Not when stats say otherwise.. Sure he up's strikeouts but that means you're throwing more pitches per PA.. Which means you can and probably will walk more guys.

Pitching to contact is the way better approach at this point. Look how long Duncan has been in the game preaching it..

Rothschild is just flawed in my opinion.. and the stats back up part of what I see.