T. Edmunds most overhyped potential top-ten pick and here's why

mammalspod

Liked Posts:
All the buzz on this guy is from his measurables and production. Here is why he won't be worth the high pick:

For an INSIDE LINEBACKER, which is exactly what he is, you want to see at least one of the following to justify a top-ten pick:

Sideline to sideline pursuit? T. Edmunds-nope (yes, he's fast at top speed due to length, but his quick acceleration is not special)

Great coverage and even some ball-hawking skills? T. Edmunds-nope (doesn't even use the length well to jump and bat balls down)

Complete domination of run defense, including aggressiveness, many tackles in the backfield, and sending a runner backward from contact? T. Edmunds-sometimes, but not really.

High overall production? T. Edmunds-sure, but in a 4-2-5 defense against track-meet style trick-play college offenses, a lot of the time he is simply one of two players in the vicinity to stop a run or dunk. He doesn't avoid/shed blockers like the machine LB you would think he is from the hype.

So... we're going to use this pick to get another Ryan Pace raw athlete in the prayer that he can be coached into rushing the passer against NFL linemen somehow? Take away any knowledge of his size/strength/combine performance and watch him on the field. Sure, he's a top college IL, but he will have some trouble performing at an elite level in the NFL.

You don't have to agree with me, just please watch the game film.

His pass rush is not that good at all on film, and he lacks edge and decisiveness on many plays/tackles.

....and for the "he's only 19" thing: the guy played three college seasons. He's about as developed as most other players in the draft. Let's get off the age thing, he's a few months younger than many prospects who don't get talked about like they just sprang up out the womb so the sky must be the limit.

The End.

P.S. Marcus Davenport will be a star pass rusher in the NFL.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
When you're dead wrong ill be laughing all the way to the bank.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Your analysis is pretty shitty.

Edmunds best assets are his ability to go sideline-to-sideline and cover TE's (even WR's - check the tape). Yet, you criticised him for those things and gave him some props for his run defence where most people think he struggles the most because of his inconsistency reading the play.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Horrible. Better get yourself some KY before you settle in to watch the draft.

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
I'm not even an Edmunds fan and I disagree with this anallysis

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Poor analysis and then you top it off by saying Davenport (whom I like) will be a star pass rusher despite his tape and production/projection being worse than Edmunds. And that’s playing at a smaller school.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It's funny, TC implores that we watch the game tape after making claims that are clearly countered by the game tape.

Was this some reverse psychology to get people amped for Edmunds?

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Stopped reading right there. That's how every potential pick is evaluated.

This.

What else are we to measure a prospect on? His personality? How many friends he has? How hot his girlfriend is?

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Yeah sorry - Davenport is even more of a raw project so you completely blow your credibility by evaluating Edmonds, then blindly proclaiming Davenport will be special.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The OP is grading Edmunds as an ILB, so lets take a look at his career numbers stacked up against Roquan Smith.

Smith a three year starter, 39 GP, 219 TKL, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 Sacks, 3 PD, 0 INT, 3 FF.

Edmunds a three year starter, 40 GP, 226 TKL, 35 TFL, 10 Sacks, 6 PD, 1 INT, 4 FF.

Over Hyped as an edge rusher...............perhaps, as an ILB no way in hell.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From Daniel Jeremiah...

“RANK
Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
Edmunds has a unique blend of size, length and athleticism. He primarily lines up off the line of scrimmage, but does get some work rushing off the edge. Against the run, he is quick to key, fill and finish as a tackler. He has rare lateral range and collects tackles from sideline to sideline. The former Hokie flashes the ability to shoot his hands and play off blocks, but this is one area where he can improve. Against the pass, he easily mirrors running backs and tight ends; there are even examples of him matching up and redirecting vs. slot receivers. He offers tremendous upside as an edge rusher, where he can dip/rip and bend around the edge. Overall, Edmunds has All-Pro ability. His upside is outrageous.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919918/comments/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-20

Bort

Liked Posts:
Sideline to sideline pursuit? T. Edmunds-nope (yes, he's fast at top speed due to length, but his quick acceleration is not special)

You're entitled to your opinion, but this is literally the opposite of reality. His ability to accelerate and close quickly is excellent and probably his greatest strength.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You made a thread last year about being skeptical against Jamal Adams I think that says everything we need to know.

A lot, and I mean a lot, of mock drafts have the Bears taking Jamal Adams at the third pick. I am very skeptical of this pick. If you watch his game film, he is lined up on the strong side of the field crashing runs and screens every play. LSU almost never had him in coverage roles playing deep especially when the game was on the line. He is average in coverage, especially against fast receivers. He is not fast at all. In the NFC North, he will be playing in deep coverage a lot. Watch the 2016 game against Wisconsin. He actually plays deep cover 1 centerfield most of that game. He is largely ineffectual and gives huge cushions to protect himself against getting angled on big plays.

Also, if the Bears thought an Adams pick at that position was likely, why would they go out and sign Demps? You have to start 2 safeties. You would think he would start right away, being the number 3 pick. Which one of those guys goes into deep middle coverage? Neither of their skill sets convert well to that position.

If we were in a different division, or got him at 15-32, I would be less concerned. But, third pick for a fantastic big and relatively slow box safety that is adequate at best in downfield coverage? I think if this does happen, he will get torched by Stafford and Rodgers 4 times next year. He will be great in the AFC West defending against the Chiefs and Broncos, but not against two of the top three deep sideline throwers in the NFL.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From Daniel Jeremiah...

“RANK
Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
Edmunds has a unique blend of size, length and athleticism. He primarily lines up off the line of scrimmage, but does get some work rushing off the edge. Against the run, he is quick to key, fill and finish as a tackler. He has rare lateral range and collects tackles from sideline to sideline. The former Hokie flashes the ability to shoot his hands and play off blocks, but this is one area where he can improve. Against the pass, he easily mirrors running backs and tight ends; there are even examples of him matching up and redirecting vs. slot receivers. He offers tremendous upside as an edge rusher, where he can dip/rip and bend around the edge. Overall, Edmunds has All-Pro ability. His upside is outrageous.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919918/comments/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-20

I’d really love to see one play on Edmunds tape where this actually happens. Either Jeremiah is referring to practice, or he is just completely making it up.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Edmonds is not overhyped. This kid will be a star now I don’t think he will be a bear. However he can play inside and outside that’s what will make him a star

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaucho

Liked Posts:
Poor analysis and then you top it off by saying Davenport (whom I like) will be a star pass rusher despite his tape and production/projection being worse than Edmunds. And that’s playing at a smaller school.
I think you’re gunna be pretty surprised when Davenport goes before Edmunds. The Edmunds hype is on the Malik Hooker level at this point.