Talks heating up on Jameis Winston...

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Makes reasonable arguments and I really don't know what Jameis' future holds but I tend to be less concerned about picks than most here, more concerned about type. I like risk takers but his last year in Tampa, he was throwing like he had been ruined by pressure and they were the bad type. Hope he turns it around but he's likely also not the best for for Nagy unless Nagy's finally got a handle on changing things up to fit players.

As for the Payton quotes, I think the commentator is reading in. Sounds like the Saints are interested in keeping Winston but they could already have made him an offer if they felt him the true successor.

What I find interesting is that he's basically a modern Day Brett Favre without the success and guess who Run and Shoot constantly dumps on?
Really good video. Points out some positives about Winston. Several good QBs have had a lot of Ints early in their career. Arians was the worst coach Winston could have gotten in his last year in TB. If he stays in NO we will see what his stats will be for a good HC in a pass friendly offense that can run the ball and play defense.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Really good video. Points out some positives about Winston. Several good QBs have had a lot of Ints early in their career. Arians was the worst coach Winston could have gotten in his last year in TB. If he stays in NO we will see what his stats will be for a good HC in a pass friendly offense that can run the ball and play defense.
No doubt, Brady made Arians change the emphasis of that O for a lot more protection and running.

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators

It's a bit inexcusable to throw 30 INT's when your receivers are Mike Evans (pro bowler), Chris Godwin (pro bowler), Perriman, and a Brate/Howard combo at TE. All those guys do is create separation and make plays, just need to find them, Brady doesn't seem to be having many issues.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
It's a bit inexcusable to throw 30 INT's when your receivers are Mike Evans (pro bowler), Chris Godwin (pro bowler), Perriman, and a Brate/Howard combo at TE. All those guys do is create separation and make plays, just need to find them, Brady doesn't seem to be having many issues.
I don't disagree with that. But when trying to pick a starting QB from this list of flawed QBs, somethings will have to be accepted. More than likely Wentz and Winston end up being good starting QBs in the league again. Guaranteed. Hell no. But there are no easy answers at this point. But it is easy to just sit back and complain which is what a lot of this board does.

Last edited:

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Payton spoke glowingly about Winston to ESPN and other media outlets while doing some Super Bowl week appearances on Wednesday, saying the Saints would like to re-sign him "sooner than later."
Wanting Watson vs Winston are 2 different things. What has Winston done to be a better option than even another year of Trubisky? Winston has a lower passer rating, higher INT% by a full % point, an 28-42 record and the most INT's by a QB in a season since Vinny Testeverde 33 years ago and is a sexual assault waiting to happen. He is shit at his job and even shittier at being a human.

I will cede that I erroneously attributed you desire to have him a Bear in part due to his race if you can cite anything that would make one think he is a better option than Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Garappolo, Trubisky, Taylor.

Again sir, that is ur opinion....the video disputes ur claims....I agree Watson or Winston are two different things....but I listed the three hopes...if that doesn't happen, Winston is better than any of the other guys on that FA list.....my opinion

Also the guy post stats and where he ranks, also the run game he had and defense he had.....last time I checked, they to have a say so in W/L records, this isn't basketball.....Is Watson shit, because he only could win 4 games on that garbage team? No he isnt.

Also unless ur in the Saints locker room and QB room, I'll take Payton and Brees opinion on Winston...nothing but good things to say.

Also most of us, have never have been entitled like he did, by communities, and friends, because he could throw the ball. Did he fuck up in past, yeah he did, but since then he has shown maturity and growth.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Makes reasonable arguments and I really don't know what Jameis' future holds but I tend to be less concerned about picks than most here, more concerned about type. I like risk takers but his last year in Tampa, he was throwing like he had been ruined by pressure and they were the bad type. Hope he turns it around but he's likely also not the best for for Nagy unless Nagy's finally got a handle on changing things up to fit players.

As for the Payton quotes, I think the commentator is reading in. Sounds like the Saints are interested in keeping Winston but they could already have made him an offer if they felt him the true successor.

What I find interesting is that he's basically a modern Day Brett Favre without the success and guess who Run and Shoot constantly dumps on?

Finally a good, reasonable post! I cant argue anything in it

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know Peyton Manning was a rook, but Arians was his OC I believe, when he threw 20+ picks....its a high risk offense, Winston took risks and failed.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Take a look at the ints. totals for Blanda ( 1961-1966) ? , Manning ( his 1st few yrs), Marino and Farve.
As for Winston, he tried wearing contacts during games. He said it was uncomfortable and they'd fall out during games. There are articles verifying this. So in the end, he got Lasik.

Arians runs a high risk offense where ints happen. There are articles on how Qb's tend to throw lots picks the 1st yr, in this offense. carson palmer threw 22picks his 1st yr. in Arians offense. Brady threw 3 picks in that last playoff game. I hope we can one day get a Qb that can put up 33 tds and win.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Please stop with the eyesight thing, Soft contacts are a dime a dozen and goggles work fine. He chose not to because he didn't feel it especially important. It's the same eyesight he had in college and he could had lasix when he entered the league if he thought it a big deal. Arians O is about arm punts for the risk portion and those were not the majority of picks he threw the previous year. His protection was poor but he didn't make the best of it.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Also unless ur in the Saints locker room and QB room, I'll take Payton and Brees opinion on Winston...nothing but good things to say.

Also most of us, have never have been entitled like he did, by communities, and friends, because he could throw the ball. Did he fuck up in past, yeah he did, but since then he has shown maturity and growth.
All the other stuff is debatable and opinion, so fine, but what has Winston done to show maturity? Unless you call being sexual assault free for 2 years "growth."

And the excuse for his behavior of youthful coddling is a ludicrous. There are thousands of NFL players, all shown privileged due to their skills, not many have been accused repeatedly of theft, rape, and sexual assault. But hey, he has been a great teammate for 8 months in NO so...all better. I bet neither Brees or Peyton would call him to pick up their wife at the airport as a favor.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All the other stuff is debatable and opinion, so fine, but what has Winston done to show maturity? Unless you call being sexual assault free for 2 years "growth."

And the excuse for his behavior of youthful coddling is a ludicrous. There are thousands of NFL players, all shown privileged due to their skills, not many have been accused repeatedly of theft, rape, and sexual assault. But hey, he has been a great teammate for 8 months in NO so...all better. I bet neither Brees or Peyton would call him to pick up their wife at the airport as a favor.

Lmfao I couldnt help but laugh at the picking up wife at airport(shit was funny)...because I agree

So yeah, not getting into trouble and the coach talking about his leadership, Winston interviews himself, on learning and seeing what it means to be a leader and study film via Brees, etc...he has matured.

Also it is an excuse, if we look at the environment he was raised in.