Teams are figuring Ransom out

garapp

Liked Posts:
Now we know why it took him to age 30 to be productive. Scouts didn't know him

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Probably referring to Wisdom. But teams had him figured out after about a month in. This is who he is, an Adam Dunn type player, but he has a gold glove third base so he has some good value even if he is just a two outcome hitter.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Probably referring to Wisdom. But teams had him figured out after about a month in. This is who he is, an Adam Dunn type player, but he has a gold glove third base so he has some good value even if he is just a two outcome hitter.
He has 7 errors in 159 chances at 3B. To give you an idea, him and KB have pretty identical fielding numbers and nobody would claim KB to be gold glove quality at 3B. He is NOT anywhere near gold glove level 3B

He has power. That is all. He has 29 career MLB homeruns, 25 of which are this season and he’s 30 years old. He is not a solution to anything for the cubs

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
He has 7 errors in 159 chances at 3B. To give you an idea, him and KB have pretty identical fielding numbers and nobody would claim KB to be gold glove quality at 3B. He is NOT anywhere near gold glove level 3B

He has power. That is all. He has 29 career MLB homeruns, 25 of which are this season and he’s 30 years old. He is not a solution to anything for the cubs
I meant gold glove caliber so around top 10 at his positions.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I meant gold glove caliber so around top 10 at his positions.
So a third of baseball starting third basemen you consider gold glove quality?!

and also, he’s not even top 10 defensively at third

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Welp. I was thinking maybe a new Bote....but then realized that Bote plays more positions and is a few years younger. So maybe he could be a right handed Schwarber and I love Schwarber but if you look carefully, the Cubs are trending away from the high K players. So what do you have with Wisdom? You have a placeholder. But if he can bop a few more HRs and get to 30, he will have some value....as .250 hitters with HR power do draw attention.

That's the problem with most of these guys....now to be honest, I haven't watched a game in weeks but I've seen highlights and read the boxscores and it's pretty much a given that very, very few of these guys have any long range value. Some could have some significant flippage value which would be the move to make. Regardless of the pile of shit other posters are filling this forum with.....the Cubs will not be spending any big money in free agency. They need to continue status quo by getting younger...contunue redoing the system. Spending money on players only when the time is right.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Welp. I was thinking maybe a new Bote....but then realized that Bote plays more positions and is a few years younger. So maybe he could be a right handed Schwarber and I love Schwarber but if you look carefully, the Cubs are trending away from the high K players. So what do you have with Wisdom? You have a placeholder. But if he can bop a few more HRs and get to 30, he will have some value....as .250 hitters with HR power do draw attention.

That's the problem with most of these guys....now to be honest, I haven't watched a game in weeks but I've seen highlights and read the boxscores and it's pretty much a given that very, very few of these guys have any long range value. Some could have some significant flippage value which would be the move to make. Regardless of the pile of shit other posters are filling this forum with.....the Cubs will not be spending any big money in free agency. They need to continue status quo by getting younger...contunue redoing the system. Spending money on players only when the time is right.

oh, I agree he has some value. I could see an American League team deciding to give him a go as their DH. If I’m the cubs, I’m looking to trade wisdom this offseason while his value is at an all time high(in that he has value for the first time in a decade lol).

I do think the cubs will spend SOME money this offseason. How much and on what level of quality of players is the question. I wouldn’t put it past the cubs to add 40-50 mil to the payroll on a few players. Right now their payroll is scheduled to be really really low.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So a third of baseball starting third basemen you consider gold glove quality?!

and also, he’s not even top 10 defensively at third
Yeah if you have him playing 162 he is top 10 easy. I am going by fangraphs DefWar

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I wonder why one defensive war claims 0.3 and yours claims 2.0?

im going to trust the one that shows other defensive stats on it as well to back up and kinda “show” the math on it
You have to do one thing to make it accurate, filter it out to be when Wisdom was called up. Since WAR is a cumulative stat it is more accurate to measure it based on an even playing field.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You have to do one thing to make it accurate, filter it out to be when Wisdom was called up. Since WAR is a cumulative stat it is more accurate to measure it based on an even playing field.
I’m not sure what you mean by this? Are you suggesting that the stats I’m looking at are for before this season?

it’s the stats for the 2021 season. So it would have every inning wisdom has played this season. Not sure what else you would want

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I’m not sure what you mean by this? Are you suggesting that the stats I’m looking at are for before this season?

it’s the stats for the 2021 season. So it would have every inning wisdom has played this season. Not sure what else you would want
I am saying you are using a stat that Wisdom had half the games to accumulate numbers in. In order to get a more relative measurement you have to filter out the days before Wisdom was called up to play. Other players had almost 2 months to accumulate WAR before Wisdom saw the field.

I'll give an example:

Player A 140 games total RBI's = 100
Player B 100 games total RBI's = 90

So to have a more accurate measurement you have to remove the first 40 games from Player A and then compare the 2.

After remove the first 40 games:

Player A = 75 rbis
Player b = 90 rbis.

So after adjusting for games played it becomes evident player b is the better at getting rbis.

Hopefully that explains what I am getting at here :)

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I am saying you are using a stat that Wisdom had half the games to accumulate numbers in. In order to get a more relative measurement you have to filter out the days before Wisdom was called up to play. Other players had almost 2 months to accumulate WAR before Wisdom saw the field.

I'll give an example:

Player A 140 games total RBI's = 100
Player B 100 games total RBI's = 90

So to have a more accurate measurement you have to remove the first 40 games from Player A and then compare the 2.

After remove the first 40 games:

Player A = 75 rbis
Player b = 90 rbis.

So after adjusting for games played it becomes evident player b is the better at getting rbis.

Hopefully that explains what I am getting at here :)
That makes no sense, though

what I posted is his cumulative defensive WAR for this season at 0.3

taking away the beginning of the season when he wasn’t playing doesn’t change that number any.

and either way, his fielding % is trash. He’s not a gold glove level defensive third baseman no matter how you try and slice it

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
That makes no sense, though

what I posted is his cumulative defensive WAR for this season at 0.3

taking away the beginning of the season when he wasn’t playing doesn’t change that number any.

and either way, his fielding % is trash. He’s not a gold glove level defensive third baseman no matter how you try and slice it
If it doesn't make sense to you then I would bow out of this debate. Advanced metrics has shown fielding percentage to not be the most reliable, as someones range can bring down their fielding percent because they are reaching more difficult balls to field. Being able to properly diagnose stats and make relative comparisons is important in arguing stats. It is actually my job to do this :)

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If it doesn't make sense to you then I would bow out of this debate. Advanced metrics has shown fielding percentage to not be the most reliable, as someones range can bring down their fielding percent because they are reaching more difficult balls to field. Being able to properly diagnose stats and make relative comparisons is important in arguing stats. It is actually my job to do this :)
K that’s cool and all. Except defensive WAR is a very straight forward stat. You can’t manipulate it and then say, “yOu ShOuLd BoW oUt If U dOnT uNdErStAnD aDvAnCeD mEtRiCs” when you’re misusing said advanced metric

Again, WAR is cumulative for a season. There shouldn’t be discrepancies from site to site. And to add WAR to someone’s total because they haven’t played the full season is also cringe worthy

also, he’s played 92 games. It’s not like he’s missed over half the season. So to manipulate his defensive WAR from 0.3 to 2.0 is ridiculous.

his defensive WAR is what it is. Not that great. His fielding % is absolute trash. His range is decent. That’s what the advanced metrics say

but go on thinking he’s gold glove caliber ?
Let me know when anyone else on this planet has that same take

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Also, even your own list(Fangraphs defensive WAR) has wisdom #13

so still not top 10 even using your metric

60A9F710-8A0F-4A61-AF7A-C3553F3E09E3.png

heres ESPN’s defensive WAR list. #18

2CD61040-BD6D-4B70-B08E-2EDD0FD5E340.png

and baseball reference seems to back up ESPN with wisdom having a 0.3 defensive WAR

862D7E86-F0CA-41B8-9593-DDDE1C18A641.png

so clearly Fangraphs uses a different formula that leads to different numbers. But the numbers still point to the same thing…wisdom is League average defensively. Not a gold glove caliber player

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
K that’s cool and all. Except defensive WAR is a very straight forward stat. You can’t manipulate it and then say, “yOu ShOuLd BoW oUt If U dOnT uNdErStAnD aDvAnCeD mEtRiCs” when you’re misusing said advanced metric

Again, WAR is cumulative for a season. There shouldn’t be discrepancies from site to site. And to add WAR to someone’s total because they haven’t played the full season is also cringe worthy

also, he’s played 92 games. It’s not like he’s missed over half the season. So to manipulate his defensive WAR from 0.3 to 2.0 is ridiculous.

his defensive WAR is what it is. Not that great. His fielding % is absolute trash. His range is decent. That’s what the advanced metrics say

but go on thinking he’s gold glove caliber ?
Let me know when anyone else on this planet has that same take
He’s not saying that wisdom’s stats would change. he’s saying others would have a lower defensive war if you took out the two months necessary to make it a comparable time period.

Wisdom’s fielding percentage would still be poor, you’re right about that. But dWar #’s would be apples to apples in using the same period of time.