Teams are figuring Ransom out

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Wow, this is just insane. lol. I use fangraphs WAR because they invented the stat, ESPN made their own version of it. I am not manipulating anything.

IF you want to know where someone ranks you have to use the same amount of games to do so. You can't compare a cumulative stat when one player has 130 games and the other has 92. This means that the people that played 130 games had 42 more games to build on it.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
He’s not saying that wisdom’s stats would change. he’s saying others would have a lower defensive war if you took out the two months necessary to make it a comparable time period.

Wisdom’s fielding percentage would still be poor, you’re right about that. But dWar #’s would be apples to apples in using the same period of time.
Someone gets it.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He’s not saying that wisdom’s stats would change. he’s saying others would have a lower defensive war if you took out the two months necessary to make it a comparable time period.

Wisdom’s fielding percentage would still be poor, you’re right about that. But dWar #’s would be apples to apples in using the same period of time.
Issue with that is, there are guys ahead of wisdom on that list with fewer games played and fewer chances than him. hes an average fielder, definitely not gold glove level

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Wow, this is just insane. lol. I use fangraphs WAR because they invented the stat, ESPN made their own version of it. I am not manipulating anything.

IF you want to know where someone ranks you have to use the same amount of games to do so. You can't compare a cumulative stat when one player has 130 games and the other has 92. This means that the people that played 130 games had 42 more games to build on it.

ummm no, ESPN didn’t make their own. I use baseball reference and they have the same numbers as ESPN does. It’s fangraphs that’s the outlier with their own formula apparently. And even using that formula, wisdom still sits in 13th overall. You claim he’s gold glove caliber…I highly disagree with that. And you have yet to show any stats that really back that claim up. He has above average range, a mediocre arm, a bad glove

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Gold gloves aren't a stat metric it is often feeling based and reputation based. Being top10 puts him in the discussions for it.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Gold gloves aren't a stat metric it is often feeling based and reputation based. Being top10 puts him in the discussions for it.
….but he’s not top 10, even in the metric you provided

while I agree it is often feeling based and reputation based…he ain’t it

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Interesting tidbit regarding WAR in general…

which player that has played for the cubs this season has produced the most total WAR?

it’s Javier Baez with 4.0 WAR so far this season
KB is at 3.0

yet, which guy would you rather have on the team next year if you could pick? WAR is not meant to be taken as a one off only metric, it even says so on most pages you look it up on. It’s meant to be taken in as one factor of many to look at

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Palmeiro won a gold glove playing fewer than 30 games at 1st in 99. I'm not saying Wisdom is a GG, just that voters be weird.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just as an observer.....the discussion is that one guy claimed Wisdom was a GGer, the other guy said he was not. You can flip the stats nine ways to Tuesday and mix in a side of idiotic metrics but at the end of the rainbow, Wisdom is not a GGer.

What he is....is a 30 yr old average defender with power that strikes out a ton. Not exactly a foundation to build on.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Hmmmm.....I get 48

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ok, I weighed in on the misunderstanding of WAR between two players having played a far different number of games, but I do not disagree with those saying Wisdom (aka Ransom) has not been Gold Glove caliber.

And, yes, it’s very true voters often award a GG to a guy decidedly not the best, one cannot argue someone is GG caliber because it’s possible voters mistakenly give him the GG.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
oh, I agree he has some value. I could see an American League team deciding to give him a go as their DH. If I’m the cubs, I’m looking to trade wisdom this offseason while his value is at an all time high(in that he has value for the first time in a decade lol).

I do think the cubs will spend SOME money this offseason. How much and on what level of quality of players is the question. I wouldn’t put it past the cubs to add 40-50 mil to the payroll on a few players. Right now their payroll is scheduled to be really really low.

NL might get a DH still. I would hold the deck.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fansgraph has this:

Wisdom 122 wRC+ 2.2 fWAR. UZR/150 5.1 at 3B DRS 2. At least he holds positive value. All you can ask out of a stick.

Schwindel 162 wRC+ 1.4 fWAR UZR/150 4.6 DRS -1. So he holds dislike value at 1B.

So looking at this logically. Adding the DH and moving Frank there and signing a LH 1B. Makes more sense than adding a 3B. Frank is a hell of a hitter and kind of justifies just being a bat. Patrick not so much. He strikes out far too much. He is a 1 tool hitter. But his D is slightly above avg at a higher valued position than 1B. Shoot bring Rizzo back as far as I'm concerned.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Now we know why it took him to age 30 to be productive. Scouts didn't know him
Wisdom makes 600k. Bang for the buck no? you know, sorta like Heyward, lol. There are far bigger fish to fry with this roster for next season.

He can hold 3rd base while the Cubs spend all their free agent dollars elsewhere. Jed needs to land 2 starters and a run producer or 2 in free agency. It's last to first boyz . . . World series by 2025!

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Ok, I weighed in on the misunderstanding of WAR between two players having played a far different number of games, but I do not disagree with those saying Wisdom (aka Ransom) has not been Gold Glove caliber.

And, yes, it’s very true voters often award a GG to a guy decidedly not the best, one cannot argue someone is GG caliber because it’s possible voters mistakenly give him the GG.
The only reason I said this is because I usually listen to the games and don't watch tv. And Coomer constantly praises his defense, then I keep checking his fangraphs and he is top 10 when correcting for time played. To me that means he is a top defender, not necessarily the best by any means.

I didn't expect my statement to be so nitpicked, but I forgot what forum I am on, lol

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
fwiw wisdom is 7th in OAA for 3b on statcast. I wouldn't call that gold glove caliber personally but he's an above average defender.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lol @ the notion it’s nitpicking. Guy comes on here and makes a grandiose statement like a guy is a gold glove caliber defender and expects nobody to say anything.

if you had just said he’s been a solid defender for the cubs this season, nobody would of blinked an eye. But no, you had to go full hyperbole and homer. Sweet combination