Teddy Retiring Discuss

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
?Again, Here's the question......
What have u seen of Bear ownership since you starting watching them, in terms of them being about winning over profits? And since u started watching the Bears have u ever heard ownership preach winning SB's ?

The point about the Mahomes question is the reason we suck is because the GMs made the wrong decisions. If we drafted Mahomes then we are probably not having this convo.

I wanted Watson or Mahomes . But again......ppl here said "Pace got his guy".

I don't think a team focused on profits trade 2 first rounders for Mack or Cutler.

jay was garbage. I told everyone that b4 he got here.

Ed McCaskey isn't running the team anymore so what he may or may not have said in 1985 is irrelevant.
Mike said "just be competitive" not Ed. That was before u started following the Bears.
What Mike said represents Bear ownership and has played out over years profitability-wise. "just be competitive"
Most who have followed the Bears can attest to this.

tcmtrinity gets it>>>#65 TL1961 gets it>>> #73

This is pretty simple. Phillips focuses on maximizing profits while the GM focuses on winning. One does not preclude the other and both can be pursued simultaneously.

I know what Phillips does. I knew what he did before he was hired by the Bears. Now.....when we talk about a winning
organization, from Virginia McCaskey down to the waterboy everyone has to be committed to contending for and
winning SB's. Please read that again.

1. Already gave you he answer. Trading 2 first rounders for Jay and paying him 100m. Trading 2 first rounders and making Mack the highest paid defender in the NFL. Trading up to draft Trubisky. Trading up to draft Fields. Overpaying for free agents the last few years. The Bears have been spending a ton of money trying to win.

2. People saying Pace got his guy is irrelevant. The point is those decisions have fuck all to do with the prioritizing profits over winning and are just the result of bad personnel decisions.

3. Whether you thought Jay was garbage or not is irrelevant. The Bears disagreeing with you isn't because they prioritized profits. It is due to them getting it wrong but a team focused on profits isn't going to waste draft capital and give a guy 100m. Bears could have just stood pat and drafted a rookie or found someone cheaper. That is the point.

4. What Mike said isn't proof of your claim. Being competitive is part of winning and has nothing to do with profits. Winning is a goal. Being competitive is how you achieve that goal. His statement is not inconsistent with a winning culture and is in fact how you develop a winning culture.

5. But you have provided no evidence they are not. Every org has people with different functions. Philips role is to make profits a portion of which is used by the GM to help the team win. There is no evidence in recent times that the Bears have been hoarding profits given all the money they have dished out.

So again, you are looking the outcome ie lack of winning and assuming that must mean Bears aren't trying to win. They are. They just suck at it.

mecha

Liked Posts:
let go of the narrative the McCaskeys are cheap. they've been throwing shit at walls trying to find some that'll stick for many years now. it's just more a matter of where they're throwing the money at, I would argue all the wrong places. I never saw Phillips as the problem, unless you don't believe in accountability. the GMs moves are the GMs, the head coaches moves are the head coaches. I still view him as a yes man to the family, cause that's what they like.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Still weird that he was involved in the coaching and gm search and then retires 9 months later.
He was involved but not nearly as much as in past searches. It was also specualted back then that this was going to be his last season.

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can't believe the money man isn't sticking around to oversee the stadium?
He's 65 and sticking around through the entirity of the stadium project would be another 5 years.

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ummm Zack Pearson had this first and Dan Pompeii got the story. DBB just piggy backing.
That would be incorrect. I don't like Jeff Hughes(DBB) but I will give him credit for this one. Hughes is the one with the inside source in the Bears front office. He called it

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

It's not a "argument". I pointed out a fact. The Bears is a family run business only concerned with profitability over putting a consistent SB contender on the field. So Phillips retiring means zero. Bear org. will plug someone in and back to business as usual. Bear ownership only cares about profitability. All this is fact.

PROOF.....Bears at #5

Sports Money: 2022 NFL Valuations​

View Full List

--------------------------
Now........
Please note our post season record during the SB era.

Right but Bear ownership always finds a way make $$$$ even in the roughest times take a look

The NFL's Most Valuable Teams 2021: Average

It’s an NFL franchise. They’re going to make money.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
?Again, Here's the question......
What have u seen of Bear ownership since you starting watching them, in terms of them being about winning over profits? And since u started watching the Bears have u ever heard ownership preach winning SB's ?

The point about the Mahomes question is the reason we suck is because the GMs made the wrong decisions. If we drafted Mahomes then we are probably not having this convo.

I wanted Watson or Mahomes . But again......ppl here said "Pace got his guy".

I don't think a team focused on profits trade 2 first rounders for Mack or Cutler.

jay was garbage. I told everyone that b4 he got here.

Ed McCaskey isn't running the team anymore so what he may or may not have said in 1985 is irrelevant.
Mike said "just be competitive" not Ed. That was before u started following the Bears.
What Mike said represents Bear ownership and has played out over years profitability-wise. "just be competitive"
Most who have followed the Bears can attest to this.

This is pretty simple. Phillips focuses on maximizing profits while the GM focuses on winning. One does not preclude the other and both can be pursued simultaneously.

I know what Phillips does. I knew what he did before he was hired by the Bears. Now.....when we talk about a winning
organization, from Virginia McCaskey down to the waterboy everyone has to be committed to contending for and
winning SB's. Please read that again.

1. Already gave you he answer. Trading 2 first rounders for Jay and paying him 100m. Trading 2 first rounders and making Mack the highest paid defender in the NFL. Trading up to draft Trubisky. Trading up to draft Fields. Overpaying for free agents the last few years. The Bears have been spending a ton of money trying to win.

2. People saying Pace got his guy is irrelevant. The point is those decisions have fuck all to do with the prioritizing profits over winning and are just the result of bad personnel decisions.

3. Whether you thought Jay was garbage or not is irrelevant. The Bears disagreeing with you isn't because they prioritized profits. It is due to them getting it wrong but a team focused on profits isn't going to waste draft capital and give a guy 100m. Bears could have just stood pat and drafted a rookie or found someone cheaper. That is the point.

4. What Mike said isn't proof of your claim. Being competitive is part of winning and has nothing to do with profits. Winning is a goal. Being competitive is how you achieve that goal. His statement is not inconsistent with a winning culture and is in fact how you develop a winning culture.

5. But you have provided no evidence they are not. Every org has people with different functions. Philips role is to make profits a portion of which is used by the GM to help the team win. There is no evidence in recent times that the Bears have been hoarding profits given all the money they have dished out.

So again, you are looking the outcome ie lack of winning and assuming that must mean Bears aren't trying to win. They are. They just suck at it.

You bring up the GM's most have no experience as a GM. Most of ppl. we bring have no HC experience, nor a winning pedigree. Plus, ownership on down doesn't hold ppl accountable for losing. You can't name or give instances where ownership has said we want to be SB contenders and are committed to winning.

You followed the Bears since the SB win.
?So name the various times Bear ownership has sought out the very best GM's and HC's with with GM and HC experience and a winning pedigree......since the SB win.
--------------------------------------------------------------

You bring up Cutler......there was nothing about jay's "resume" that screamed WINNER AND LEADER, when he came here from Denver. Hell, the Denver fans basically said 'good riddance'. I wrote about it after investigating the Denver MB,

But jay fits in with what I factually said here.... #98
" I've watched the Bears and Chicago sports for years.
The philosophy has always been, stay competitive, grab a couple star players and the dumb, die heart fans will keep filling the stadium.......$$$$$$.
WIN OR LOSE " For anyone who followed Bear football . They know this is a FACT.

It's always been about profits over winning.

And you keep running from what @tcmtrinity pointed out here. pointed out here. >>>>#65
"...... if ownership is transferred to someone who is independently wealthy therefore puts a priority on WINNING Vs generational wealth generation."

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I’ll watch you tilt at windmills instead. Again, as remy pointed out in >>>> #101 you’re confused about what you’re arguing.

You also.......keep running from what @tcmtrinity pointed out here. >>>>#65
"...... if ownership is transferred to someone who is independently wealthy therefore puts a priority on WINNING Vs generational wealth generation."

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You also.......keep running from what tcmtrinity pointed out here. >>>>#65

No. It. Hasn’t.

And you have not proven otherwise.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No. It. Hasn’t.

And you have not proven otherwise.

Tell me I made this up. Tell me you've never in your life heard or seen this in action.

The philosophy has always been, stay competitive, grab a couple star players and the dumb, die heart fans will keep filling the stadium.......$$$$$$. WIN OR LOSE " For anyone who followed Bear football . They know this is a FACT.
---------

You also.......keep running from what tcmtrinity pointed out here.
>>>>#65

Tell me why or how the factual statement above is wrong.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Tell me I made this up. Tell me you've never in your life heard or seen this in action.

The philosophy has always been, stay competitive, grab a couple star players and the dumb, die heart fans will keep filling the stadium.......$$$$$$. WIN OR LOSE " For anyone who followed Bear football . They know this is a FACT.
---------

>>>>#65

All of this is opinion. There are no facts here.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

---------

>>>>#65

All of this is opinion. There are no facts here.

The Bears don't have to win, but they still keep filling the stadium.. True or False?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Bears don't have to win, but they still keep filling the stadium.. True or False?
This is an incredibly dumb way to try and prove your point. It's not the McCaskey's that are filling the stadium. It's fans that still show up for any variety of reasons.

Again, you are missing the larger context of everything. It's not that the Bears haven't been spending since George took over in 2011, it's that they've been spending poorly.

How you can't see that after numerous posters have pointed this out has now ventured into the territory of you sticking your fingers in your ears. Cutler's contract, Mack's contract, trading draft capital. Firing Lovie, Trestman, Fox, and Nagy with years remaining on their contracts. Firing Emery and Pace with years remaining on their contracts. Not to mention going in the other direction, where they have hired Ian Cunningham which is a position I can't remember them ever having. The Halas Hall renovation, and oh by the way, the purchase on the land in Arlington Heights.

It's impressive how there can be so many examples of this supposedly cheap family (POORLY) spending a lot of money that you just continue to ignore while trotting out tired old tropes about the family being cheap.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is an incredibly dumb way to try and prove your point. It's not the McCaskey's that are filling the stadium. It's fans that still show up for any variety of reasons.

Again, you are missing the larger context of everything. It's not that the Bears haven't been spending since George took over in 2011, it's that they've been spending poorly.

How you can't see that after numerous posters have pointed this out has now ventured into the territory of you sticking your fingers in your ears. Cutler's contract, Mack's contract, trading draft capital. Firing Lovie, Trestman, Fox, and Nagy with years remaining on their contracts. Firing Emery and Pace with years remaining on their contracts. Not to mention going in the other direction, where they have hired Ian Cunningham which is a position I can't remember them ever having. The Halas Hall renovation, and oh by the way, the purchase on the land in Arlington Heights.

It's impressive how there can be so many examples of this supposedly cheap family (POORLY) spending a lot of money that you just continue to ignore while trotting out tired old tropes about the family being cheap.

jay was a joke. It was proven before and after he came here.

You avoided this simple question....The Bears don't have to win, but they still keep filling the stadium.. True or False?

What is the Bear formula for winning? When have they brought in ppl with a winning track record?
I've probably been following the Bears longer than you. I've heard other teams ownership dedicate themselves to winning SB's. When have you seen our ownership outright say they were dedicated to even being SB contenders?? But our ownership has always made$$$$ regardless $$$$

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
jay was a joke. It was proven before and after he came here.

You avoided this simple question....The Bears don't have to win, but they still keep filling the stadium.. True or False?

What is the Bear formula for winning? When have they brought in ppl with a winning track record?
I've probably been following the Bears longer than you. I've heard other teams ownership dedicate themselves to winning SB's. When have you seen our ownership outright say they were dedicated to even being SB contenders?? But our ownership has always made regardless $$$$
You continue to miss the point.

Jay Cutler, independent of his play, cost the Bears a ton in draft capital and salary. Which again, goes to the point that others have made in this thread: it's not that they aren't spending money, it's that they spend it poorly. Which by the way, that's a point that you have not addressed.

Furthermore, your point about filling the stadium means nothing. Season tickets, as well as other tickets, are purchased well in advance of how the season plays out. So I'm really not sure what point you think you're trying to make asking that question. It doesn't mean anything.

As far as when ownership said they are dedicated to being SB contenders, George has consistently said that. He said that when they fired Pace/Nagy. He said that when they fired Emery/Trestman. You must not remember how pissed Virginia was.

Why you are so stuck on missing the point, and needing some question that doesn't mean anything to be answered, continues to amaze. Again, the Bears ownership and FO since George took over in 2011 has spent the money. To call them cheap is just flat out wrong. To call them dumb for the ways they spend the money is absolutely a fair argument to make.

At this point I'm forced to ask: do you understand what I'm even arguing?