Teddy Retiring Discuss

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Not really true. He was instrumental in the Soldier Field deal and the now the Arlington deal. Most of what he does is on the non-football operations side. The Solider Field deal alone added about a billion to the team value and Arlington when it is completed probably adds a couple billion more. It was actually his idea to remove himself from football operations.

The renovation of Soldier Field nearly 20 years ago was Phillips’ crowning achievement. In the 1990s, the Bears found themselves in an antiquated stadium without revenue streams that were competitive with other stadium-team deals. Without a new home, the Bears might have had to take drastic measures to ensure survival.

The Soldier Field rebuild significantly increased the Bears’ profitability
and gave the team its first satisfactory football-only stadium in 100 years.

Phillips, known for his people skills and an easy, hearty laugh, approached the stadium dilemma by building trust with then-Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. Phillips and Daley found common ground in their love of the Bears. They talked about players, games and coaches, as well as where they would play. Then Phillips asked the McCaskeys to grant him permission to sign a five-year extension on their below-market lease at Soldier Field. On the surface, it was a step back for the Bears — but it paid off because it set the tone for a give-and-take relationship between the team and the city.

Initially, Phillips proposed demolishing old Solider Field while leaving the landmark colonnades and building a new stadium in the south parking lot. Daley rejected that idea but accepted a second proposal to rebuild the stadium in its existing location.

The $630 million Lakefront Improvement Plan that was agreed upon was funded by a hotel tax and more than $200 million from the Bears and the NFL.

“When I think about it, that probably was the highlight of my career,” said Phillips, who accomplished what George Halas and Michael McCaskey failed to in numerous attempts. “There was a lot involved, working with the political strategists, architects, three contractors, politicians, different lawyers. It was an all-encompassing, 24-7 job for a while. When I drive to Soldier Field sometimes, I still look at that place and say I can’t believe we got this done.”

In January, the organizational flow chart changed. In the past, general managers reported to Phillips. New general manager Ryan Poles reports to McCaskey. When the change was announced, McCaskey referenced the Arlington Heights project as a reason.

But there was more to it.

“The reality is the team wasn’t a consistent winner,” Phillips said. “So I talked to George and told him that we need to make some changes in terms of football reporting, and the decision was made to make a change.”
Alot of this. Ted became the linchpin for all things negative about the bears success on the field. Some justified, such as previous hires, but alot of it was just people whining without any real substance. Ted didn't hire himself. That's on the Mccaskey's.

There are plenty of non football type owners around the NFL and some know how to get it right because they have nack for identifying talent within the upper management pool. You don't need a big brain football pez or owner. They just need to be able to identify the right people for the job.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Thanks, Warren Buffett.
Your Welcome( and I get the joke ha,ha)....but please focus on the info below.

Obviously you aren't familiar with Bear history. The larger picture is Bear ownership has always been more concerned with family business profitability than making the Bears a SB contender. I don't have time to post links on this now,
but it's well documented.

Please note our post season record during the SB era. While the Bears are top 5-10 in valuation
---------------------------

Sports Money: 2022 NFL Valuations​

View Full List

I believe the point is that is his job as team President. He hires a GM to take care of the football side but his main job is to make the Bears profitable.

The fact are you can knock his GM picks but he did not meddle much on the football side. Jerry, Emery, Pace, and Poles all had free rein and off the 3 Emery was really the only bad hire. Angelo and Pace made sense at the time.

So here's my focus......
The larger picture is Bear ownership has always been more concerned with Bear family business profitability, than making the Bears a SB contender. I don't have time to post links on this now, but it's well documented.

Please note our post season record during the SB era. While the Bears are top 5-10 in valuation

View Full List

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hate to rain on the parade but have we forgotten George is still here?

Anyways… don’t think it’ll matter much. Poles is here and may be here a long time. This will matter most when it’s time to hire Poles replacement/successor. Which again could be a long time from now.

I’m just happy I won’t have to see his face anymore.
Thanks @Parade_Rain

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Shit is getting good for the bears

We might have a QB
We might a decent stadium
Virginia should be on her way out
Teddy is gone

Maybe just maybe we become a competent franchise
Briggs is GOAT might be coming to Chicago. It's all coming together.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
2Fchorus_asset%2Ffile%2F19380226%2Fmerlin_71827807.jpg

"Oh, hey Bears. Did someone say my name? I thought I heard someone say... no?"

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Who’s going to be the new boogeyman now?

mecha

Liked Posts:
is Virginia McCaskey still alive? the whole estate thing might be intriguing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

So here's my focus......
The larger picture is Bear ownership has always been more concerned with Bear family business profitability, than making the Bears a SB contender. I don't have time to post links on this now, but it's well documented.

View Full List

Yes and I am saying that argument makes no sense because Ted's main job is to make the Bears profitable and he delegated responsibility for the team to the GM. The Bears failed because the GM's failed.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Ted would never retire and leave the next guy to finish off stadium negotiations.

Done Deal. It's all but official. 2026 is when it opens boyz . . .

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
greatest bears offseason of all time.. Poles for POTUS

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope everyone likes the term "footbaw guy."

You're going to hear/see it a lot after the McCaskeys hire someone with a business background to run their business.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
How soon will Ryan Pace apply for this job? Immediately?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

So here's my focus......

View Full List
Yes and I am saying that argument makes no sense because Ted's main job is to make the Bears profitable and he delegated responsibility for the team to the GM. The Bears failed because the GM's failed.

tcmtrinity gets it>>>#65 TL1961 gets it>>> #73

It's not a "argument". I pointed out a fact. The Bears is a family run business only concerned with profitability over putting a consistent SB contender on the field. So Phillips retiring means zero. Bear org. will plug someone in and back to business as usual. Bear ownership only cares about profitability. All this is fact.

PROOF.....Bears at #5

View Full List

--------------------------
Now........
Please note our post season record during the SB era.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ted would never retire and leave the next guy to finish off stadium negotiations.

Done Deal. It's all but official. 2026 is when it opens boyz . . .

The article mentioned he may just be hired as a consultant to finish the stadium deal if it is not signed before he leaves.