Tee Higgins a Possibility? (Per The Athletic)

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Chase Claypool would be barely clinging to a roster spot if it were not for the Bears making such a huge trade investment in him. I mean sure you can compare the profiles of the two players, and even make the argument that with Justin Fields throwing him the ball Tee Higgins would look pretty below-average, but I don't think you can really say "Oh yeah we don't need that wide receiver, we already have Chase Claypool".

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Chase Claypool would be barely clinging to a roster spot if it were not for the Bears making such a huge trade investment in him. I mean sure you can compare the profiles of the two players, and even make the argument that with Justin Fields throwing him the ball Tee Higgins would look pretty below-average, but I don't think you can really say "Oh yeah we don't need that wide receiver, we already have Chase Claypool".
You can do a little better than this very bad strawman. I think.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Hence why I wrote “probably won’t happen BUT what about trade down to 7 or 9”.

Its a possibility but Carolina would have to give up quite alot to make the jump. However, with that division in flux, its ripe for the taking as all the teams are pretty bad and Tampa no longer has Brady.

Based on the value charts, a "fair" trade would be something like:
  • Bears give up 2023 #1
  • Carolina gives up
    • 2023 #1, 39, 93, 113
    • 2024 First and Second Rounder
      • Assuming a similar finish in the standings for this year (1st rounder is between 9-15)
    • 2025 First Rounder
This makes it from a value perspective almost dead even, going with the future picks are worth 50% in today's value (2024 picks) and 2025 picks are with 33% of today's value.

I can't see Carolina also giving up all the picks SF gave them for CMac, so they will hold onto a few of those (like SF's 2nd rounder this year) so they can still continue to build their team.

As for Vegas, looking at something like this (also taking into account Vegas has a tendency to overspend more than they should)
  • Bears give 2023 #1
  • Raiders give:
    • 2023 #7, 38, 70
    • 2024 First and Second Round
Based on their finishing and the division they play in (Chiefs own that division), I could see the Raiders making this kind of offer, gives Chicago about a 10% premium based on Chart Value

Now, where the Raiders and Carolina could get creative is that they both have something the Bears really covet, a young star DE/LB. Raiders could add Max Crosby to the deal and probably keep their 2024 First rounder or Carolina could send over Brian Burns and keep the 2024/25 first round picks.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Seems more realistic and then hopefully trade down to # 4 or 5.

I cant see Seattle making a deal to move up because Pete Carroll and Seattle have a similar mindset as SF, they think they can win with any QB and don't put a premium on the position. At #5, because there are several teams QB starved, Seattle with end up with 1 of the coveted defensive players and be plenty happy.

Indy is absolutely QB starved so a deal could be something like:
  • Bears give up 2023 #1
  • Indy gives up
    • 2023 # 4, 35, 79
    • 2024 First Round Pick
That gives the Bears a bit of a premium on the trade (about 14%). Now, similar to the Vegas/Carolina deals i mentioned earlier in this thread, Indy could get creative by keeping their 2024 First Rounder but giving up their 2024 Second Rounder and Buckner as we need a start D Linemen. Nelson is off the table because you are not going to trade for a young franchise QB but then also trade your best o-linemen

For the trades I outlined with Indy, Vegas and Carolina, ALOT will depend on what the Bears do in FA. If (and big IF) the bears land 2 of the top D Tackles (Payne, Hargrave, Dre'mont Jones) then they can push for more picks as they won't need starting D-linement and can draft capable back ups in later rounds (like a Mazi Smith out of Michigan)

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Its a possibility but Carolina would have to give up quite alot to make the jump. However, with that division in flux, its ripe for the taking as all the teams are pretty bad and Tampa no longer has Brady.

• Bears give up 2023 #1
  • Carolina gives up
    • 2023 #1, 39, 93, 113
      • Assuming a similar finish in the standings for this year (1st rounder is between 9-15)
    • 2025 First Rounder
This makes it from a value perspective almost dead even, going with the future picks are worth 50% in today's value (2024 picks) and 2025 picks are with 33% of today's value.

I can't see Carolina also giving up all the picks SF gave them for CMac, so they will hold onto a few of those (like SF's 2nd rounder this year) so they can still continue to build their team.

As for Vegas, looking at something like this (also taking into account Vegas has a tendency to overspend more than they should)
  • Bears give 2023 #1
  • Raiders give:
    • 2023 #7, 38, 70
Based on their finishing and the division they play in (Chiefs own that division), I could see the Raiders making this kind of offer, gives Chicago about a 10% premium based on Chart Value

Now, where the Raiders and Carolina could get creative is that they both have something the Bears really covet, a young star DE/LB. Raiders could add Max Crosby to the deal and probably keep their 2024 First rounder or Carolina could send over Brian Burns and keep the 2024/25 first round picks.
Carolina has some nice young defensive talent like Devin Burns (DE), Derrick Brown (DT), & Jaycee Horn (CB) to package with draft picks.

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:

• Bears give up 2023 #1
  • Carolina gives up
    • 2023 #1, 39, 93, 113
    • 2025 First Rounder

• Bears give 2023 #1
  • Raiders give:
    • 2023 #7, 38, 70

I’m a fan of both scenarios but I’d rather keep both teams 2024 1sts. With a rookie QB, there’s a good chance both picks end up being top 10 picks next year. Get the Raiders to also throw in their 2025 1st and I’d be all over that trade.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bears have a better shot getting Tyler Boyd than they do tee Higgins.

Cincy would save almost 9 mil if they cut or trade him, with a dead cap hit of under 2 mil. If they need to save $$ to invest elsewhere next season then Boyd is a candidate to get the axe

and honestly, he wouldn’t be a bad option for the bears to sign if he does get cut. Guy still managed over 700 yards playing with chase and Higgins clearly ahead of him.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Bears have a better shot getting Tyler Boyd than they do tee Higgins.

Cincy would save almost 9 mil if they cut or trade him, with a dead cap hit of under 2 mil. If they need to save $$ to invest elsewhere next season then Boyd is a candidate to get the axe

and honestly, he wouldn’t be a bad option for the bears to sign if he does get cut. Guy still managed over 700 yards playing with chase and Higgins clearly ahead of him.

This is actually one of the best pickups that could happen, if he is cut (which will probably happen). He was their "Tom Waddle" and a primary target on 3rd down, especially in the slot. Add him to Chicago and Mooney/Claypool on the outside and that is a very solid WR core for Fields.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
This is actually one of the best pickups that could happen, if he is cut (which will probably happen). He was their "Tom Waddle" and a primary target on 3rd down, especially in the slot. Add him to Chicago and Mooney/Claypool on the outside and that is a very solid WR core for Fields.
Exactly, it’s probably the best realistic option that will present itself to the bears in FA.

like you said, hes got great technique out of the slot. Plus, he’s still under 30 barely and likely won’t cost too much. Before burrow, chase, and higgins showed up, Boyd had back to back 1,000 yard seasons. And the production was still solid even being the #3 option these past two years.

and bears would still want to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Carolina has some nice young defensive talent like Devin Burns (DE), Derrick Brown (DT), & Jaycee Horn (CB) to package with draft picks.
Burns would be great, but they already rejected a huge trade package for him at the deadline.

They are not in a good cap situation right now, though, and his 5th year $ is not guaranteed and would come off the books entirely.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Why would they cut Boyd this year?

Maybe trade him, but they have no cap issues this year. They could cut him after 23 if they don't want him.

I think if they want to cut someone it would be Mixon, who would free up only like $1m less than Boyd and was just arrested.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Why would they cut Boyd this year?

Maybe trade him, but they have no cap issues this year. They could cut him after 23 if they don't want him.

I think if they want to cut someone it would be Mixon, who would free up only like $1m less than Boyd and was just arrested.
Simply if cincy felt they needed to allocate his salary into a more dire position of need. That’d be the only reason. Just stating Cincy would be more likely to trade/cut Boyd than they would to trade Higgins this offseason.

and they couldn’t cut him after 2023, because he will be an UFA after this coming season, so he isn’t likely to get re signed after this season anyways

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Simply if cincy felt they needed to allocate his salary into a more dire position of need. That’s be the only reason. Just stating Cincy would be more likely to trade/cut Boyd than they would to trade Higgins this offseason.

and they couldn’t cut him after 2023, because he will be an UFA after this coming season, so he isn’t likely to get re signed after this season anyways
Yep. And they could get a comp pick for him after 23 as well.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yep. And they could get a comp pick for him after 23 as well.
True, likely means it’d take a 5th or 6th rounder in this years draft to get him from cincy. Something I’d still consider if I’m the bears and Cincy has interest in doing something like that

dennehy

Liked Posts:
True, likely means it’d take a 5th or 6th rounder in this years draft to get him from cincy. Something I’d still consider if I’m the bears and Cincy has interest in doing something like that
If you could get him for the NE 5th rounder, that would be a nice pickup imo.