Terrible year to have 1 billion for FA

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I'd buy up impact defenders.

Daron Payne
Dremont Jones
Jamel Dean
Maybe Davenport

Then maybe Pocic to start at center offensively. Otherwise, seems to me you need to draft impact WRs and continue to invest in OL via the draft.
No on Dremont Jones(if we get Payne)and davenport is the guy you give a 1 year prove it deal. If you expect to let JJ go you sign a Jamal dean. But I actually would like us to keep our secondary and maybe get a guy in the draft to play outside we have too many small dudes at corner.we have to sign Payne imo.
Pocic is my #1 pick on offense for the bears FA and I think we should sign at least one more OT or OG.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I was just intimating how much luck plays a part in sports, there are people here crying and making hysterical comments about how they cannot improve.

In fact, it’s possible that it’s in the Bears long term interest to not sign huge FA contracts as it often times fails to live up to the hype for whatever reason.

It’s not Poles style to spend tons of money in FA and I think that’s the right strategy, it’s just not the overnight success most of us want or wanted.

Top two pick? There is serious defensive talent up there. It’s possible that if Houston were to luck into one more win that we had number one overall!!!

So many players are going to be so much better next year and even if not, depth players need experience so that if our starter gets hurt there isn’t such a drop off in skill.

Half full

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree with all the claypool criticism. But you can’t bitch about a fa that hasn’t happened yet. Maybe wait until mid March for a meltdown.

Two of the OTs on this list have already been extended. Now please tell me who gets you excited.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
FA rarely works out. Just look at the Mack acquisition. Gave up two 1st rounders, signed him to a huge contract, and overall he was just average other than a few games. Then, the Bears had to eat a ton of money to trade him. If anything you spend your cap on players you drafted and developed. This is why building through the draft is critical.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Two of the OTs on this list have already been extended. Now please tell me who gets you excited.

Pocic and Bozeman are huge improvements over mustipher for one. Lots of good upgrades on the dline still available. Lots of upgrades at lb. Lots of upgrades at db…..get those and it frees up draft picks for the other positions that free agency is lacking.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
@dennehy I still don't know who he's talking about
He was obviously unaware that Jenkins is one of the best G free agents this year, but only a decent at best OT free agent, and he is not able to back off his narrative now. It's a really small thing, most everyone here wanted Jenkins anyway because he's a great G and does have versatility, but for some reason he's gonna dies on that small hill.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There will be plenty of good upgrades available in FA and a few difference makers. There always are.

The question is value and competition from other teams. How high are you willing to go for a guy who probably isn't a true difference maker? For a guy you aren't 100% sure wants to give everything required after he gets paid?

Poles seems like he's pretty cautious, but we will see this year.

One thing I've thought about recently is the possibility of a trade package including Buckner if IND wanted a QB available at the Bears pick. He's a guy worth a contract for sure, and with his game I'd trust him to maintain his current level of play through a 4 year extension, to his age 32 season. That window coincides with Fields first window here.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Claypool has three years of experience and the Steelers said they'd rather trade him rather than deal with him. That's not even in the same realm of evaluation as Jenkins.

George Pickens, who they will replace Claypool with because he's under more years of a rookie contract, isn't even going to have a year that Claypool had in his first season

Everyone is up in arms though acting like Pickens is so elite

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
FA rarely works out. Just look at the Mack acquisition. Gave up two 1st rounders, signed him to a huge contract, and overall he was just average other than a few games. Then, the Bears had to eat a ton of money to trade him. If anything you spend your cap on players you drafted and developed. This is why building through the draft is critical.
The last 2 Super Bowl champs were built with key pieces through FA and Trades.

The problem with that is you can’t sustain success when you throw tons of money at a roster.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The last 2 Super Bowl champs were built with key pieces through FA and Trades.

The problem with that is you can’t sustain success when you throw tons of money at a roster.
Well that second part is reductive. What Poles has is a lot of flexibility on how to assign free agent money, simply because of how little money is obligated right now. Well-placed conservative, short term contracts allow the gm to reward specific, strategically important pieces at top-of-the-market-rates. Having taken a year to move unproductive money off the books, Poles can strategically arrange the money he obligates without ever using an accounting trick.

Big-money contracts becoming unproductive is unsustainable. So Poles will have to be disciplined to keep the hard-earned financial flexibility that he bought with a 3-win season.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Would you rather have Roquan Smith and the second pick in Round 2, or Claypoll and a pick toward the bottom of Round 2?

Thats the net of the Roquan and Claypool trades.

And, considering that, as well as Poles decision to downplay providing support for Fields in the draft and free agency, do you have any trust in his ability to draft and sign well in the offseason? Doesn't bode well IMO.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And it is a 2nd round pick. The biggest difference between the last pick in round 1 and the 1st in round 2 is not the player, especially in this draft. It's the 4 vs 5 year contract. If I were the player drafted, I'd prefer to be taken at 2/1 but a GM would much rather pick at 1/31-32.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
@remydat here I am saying it's not the end of the world that poles traded for claypool. Is this still annoying cunting or not? Inquiring minds need to know! Thx
Correct. Not the end of the world but not the best use of resources.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess but it was done with an eye on what the profile of the WRs that were expected to be there in round 2 and 1/2 of them will bust. Claypool will be forever be compared to every successful WR hit in 2 but Poles was not taking a small one for this crew without Claypool and all the busts will be ignored. There's value in knowing a guy can actually play in this league.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Timing has just never been a thing on our side. This team truly is cursed.