Tev is with the first team again

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
i hope jenkins proves me wrong but the guy hasnt exactly been healthy thus far and so you'd rather have mutipher or the very raw carter be the backup? unless they absolutely have to cut schofield i cant see that happening
Yeah, I'd think they'd keep Schofield either way. But the one thing that could be a factor is the numbers game. Jones, Whitehair, Patrick, Jenkins, Borom, Reiff would be the top 6. Gotta keep a backup C (Mustipher or Kramer- though sounds like he got injured today), so then you may only have room for 1 more (though I think they keep 9 OL). I don't see them potentially letting all 3 of their late OL picks hit waivers (Kramer, Carter, Thomas) so maybe Schofield is odd man out? But would think with the injury potential, they'd want some experience on the bench.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'd think they'd keep Schofield either way. But the one thing that could be a factor is the numbers game. Jones, Whitehair, Patrick, Jenkins, Borom, Reiff would be the top 6. Gotta keep a backup C (Mustipher or Kramer- though sounds like he got injured today), so then you may only have room for 1 more (though I think they keep 9 OL). I don't see them potentially letting all 3 of their late OL picks hit waivers (Kramer, Carter, Thomas) so maybe Schofield is odd man out? But would think with the injury potential, they'd want some experience on the bench.
I'd think they keep Jones, whitehair, Patrick, Jenkins, reiff, borom, Schofield, Carter (seems competent enough to play), and a C. Probably try to PS Kramer and Thomas.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd think they keep Jones, whitehair, Patrick, Jenkins, reiff, borom, Schofield, Carter (seems competent enough to play), and a C. Probably try to PS Kramer and Thomas.
Agreed. Neither looks ready to play yet. I don't see anyone putting them on their 53. Carter, I think, could make another roster based on the brief bit that I've seen.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Neither looks ready to play yet. I don't see anyone putting them on their 53. Carter, I think, could make another roster based on the brief bit that I've seen.
Davenport may still be in the mix somewhere

Kramer and Thomas are definitely PS guys

FA C cut from another team is still a possibility to replace Mustipher.....but think they roll with him as the backup

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Davenport may still be in the mix somewhere

Kramer and Thomas are definitely PS guys

FA C cut from another team is still a possibility to replace Mustipher.....but think they roll with him as the backup

I don't really see Davenport making it. He's probably good enough for a roster spot, but between Reiff/Borom, I don't think he's necessary. If Borom starts, Reiff is the experienced backup that has played LT and RT. If Reiff starts, Borom is a guy that needs reps if one of the tackles goes down. Then you always have Jenkins you can move back to RT, if multiple guys go down and throw Schofield or Carter at RG.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i think 8 will be the number so from your top 6, add mustipher and schofield...kramer i'm not worried about getting poached, carter is raw but has potential and so he's got a better shot at getting poached but unless a team is hit bad by an injury bug at G, i dont think he'll get claimed on a 53 man roster.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Schofield signed a one year, vet minimum contract with no guaranteed $$$ a week before TC started. Hard to be considered more expendable than that. Poles needed another veteran body to balance out all the rookie OL guys in TC, and Schofield was the best of slim pickings at that point. Better OL veterans than Schofield are going to get cut around the league when rosters go to 53. I look for Schofield to get cut and replaced with another veteran on or shortly after cutdown day. But even assuming they bring in someone better than Schofield, I'm guessing the Bears will go with Jenkins as starting RG, just to see what they got.

Btw - the same thing happened to Schofield last year. He was signed to a one year, vet minimum contract in June by the Ravens, and then cut when their roster went to 53. People here are way, way overestimating Schofield's perceived value around the NFL.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Agreed. For over a decade now teams have been consistently drafting interior OL in the 2nd round. I agree for the first twenty picks or so it hard to justify picking an interior OL, similar to a safety, but once the first round is over any solid NFL starter is a good selection and justifies the pick.
Quentin Nelson would be the only exception but then again is he really worth $20 million as a guard?

Not saying yes or no as I don’t really know

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
The question is: How did Jenkins look at guard?

Anyone have any info on this?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Ideally the Bears 2023 oline is:

Jones
Carter
Patrick
Jenkins
Borom

Thomas + vet fa as a swing tackle
Vet fa as backup guard/center

Means they've hit on 5 oline draft picks in the previous two drafts and have a young cheap (if this work then also good) line moving fwd

Then focus on a young center in next year draft or upgrade from Patrick to an ass kicking vet center (which is what he's supposed to be but if he's not then find someone else)

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Quentin Nelson would be the only exception but then again is he really worth $20 million as a guard?

I can’t justify paying 20 mil to a LG no matter how good. I guess you could argue that he would be Bears don’t have have any big $$$ tied into the OL, so why not spend on one of the best LGs in football when you have space?

Then again, spending big on a WILL and LG probably isn’t the best use of cap resources. If Roquan and Nelson both cost around 20 mil per, that’s a ton of money tied into non premium positions. Especially when they’re going to need to pay Mooney and Fields sooner than later (most likely).

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

NO!!

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Honest to god, I’m 68 and an avid reader and have never seen it…
Sad that JF doesn't have a minimally-competent OL to keep him alive, let alone confident in the pocket. not to compare him to Mitch but inadequacies on the OL make it difficult for a otherwise fairly competent for an inexperienced QB to have success.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
All the responses prove that drafting an off the ball linebacker at number 8 overall just isn’t a great idea!

Play is almost impossible to live up to that spot from a lacerating positions bc they’re going to want top 8 money from the get go and new contracts!