The all encompassing Sports Card thread

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If you find a good local reseller/dealer, a *some* of them offer bulk grading services that get sent off to the major services.

The last time I dealt with CGC, it took 4 months and I sent in a box of 20-some magazines, printed out a list, and paid a total in one swoop. All sports periodicals from the 1940s. They also worked with PSA as well. You get certs and a number you can check against their database. The price of going through the shop was almost the same as doing it myself. I think I paid $2.50 more per item, plus they covered the shipping part.

Something to consider.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Mickey Mantle knew two things. Drinking. And playing baseball drunk.

-Norm MacDonald

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
The only thing at Target this weekend was hockey: UD, OPeeChee, Donruss and one weird all Pete Rose baseball set.
The Pete Rose set as a guaranteed Rose autograph.

You should have pounced

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I may actually have several worth grading -

If sending cards to be graded, do they need to be sent separately?

What is the wait time to have them graded and returned? I thought it was rather long. (though I began considering having them graded a year ago, so.....my own fault.)
Send them bulk.

Wait time depends on what you have right now. If you have a big time card like a Trout Rookie, your return is alot quicker then if you have a Topps Robert rookie.

I've been dealing with PSA for over a decade. They're pretty quick but the back log they currently are under is enormous.

Send Bulk but make sure you have a high ticket card.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I have most of a 1964 Topps baseball set, but not in good enough condition to pay for them to be graded. I learned that anything Mickey Mantle brings $, but most others, including HOFers aren't worth much in good condition.

I thought perhaps the HOF players who have passed this year (4 of the 6 played in 1964) would fetch something, but there are dozens listed at very low prices.

I thought the Lou Brock as a Cub (I also have Ernie Broglio as a Cardinal) would be worth something, but "something" is very little.
Get them graded regardless.

A Mantle PSA 3 will get you three times as much as a raw Mantle in good condition.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I found two blasters of 2019 UFC chrome.

Pulled a gold autograph of Alexander the great, a gold refractor of some big fat guy who's 40 years old, and a gold autograph of Amanda Nunes that I sold on Amazon for 80 bucks in ten minutes.

Yes, that type of blaster pull is extremely rare.

Some random pulled a Nolan Ryan autograph out of a clearance hanger of Heritage numbered to 5. That's an insane pull.

Big hits are starting to trickle into retail.

PeterG

Da Coach.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I found two blasters of 2019 UFC chrome.

Pulled a gold autograph of Alexander the great, a gold refractor of some big fat guy who's 40 years old, and a gold autograph of Amanda Nunes that I sold on Amazon for 80 bucks in ten minutes.

Yes, that type of blaster pull is extremely rare.

Some random pulled a Nolan Ryan autograph out of a clearance hanger of Heritage numbered to 5. That's an insane pull.

Big hits are starting to trickle into retail.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I wish I was the guy who pulled the Ryan auto???

I used to pray for the days when I could buy Felix Pie autos on eBay for 10 bucks then resell them out here for 50. I got my wish, that's exactly what is happening.

Not with Felix Pie, tho.

My kids are trying to get me into Pokemon. The resell on Pokemon cards is insane right now. A 50 cent card can get you three bucks easy on eBay and they're always buying them left and right. Going off price guide, my kids have a Pokemon card worth 500 bucks and around thirty that range in 100/200 dollars.

Does anybody even play it any more?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I wish I was the guy who pulled the Ryan auto???

I used to pray for the days when I could buy Felix Pie autos on eBay for 10 bucks then resell them out here for 50. I got my wish, that's exactly what is happening.

Not with Felix Pie, tho.

My kids are trying to get me into Pokemon. The resell on Pokemon cards is insane right now. A 50 cent card can get you three bucks easy on eBay and they're always buying them left and right. Going off price guide, my kids have a Pokemon card worth 500 bucks and around thirty that range in 100/200 dollars.

Does anybody even play it any more?

I never got into pokemon, but I have like 5k old Magic The Gathering cards, all from the 1st four editions, and a bunch of the booster sets from the same time period.

I would say those cards are circa 1993 - 1998

I have no idea where too look for value on any of that stuff.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Get them graded regardless.

A Mantle PSA 3 will get you three times as much as a raw Mantle in good condition.
I just sold my last Mantle (and definitely not for what a graded card would fetch, but it was not great.

I just don't want to send cards for $10 each if they're going to fetch less.

However - I looked through th ecards again and I may be underestimating. A year ago, I was thinking "they'll be graded far less than you hope" (I know none are in the Near Mint category). But I have several 1961 in very good condition, and three Blackhawks HOF players on 1957 cards that are in real good shape, and those could be worth a pretty good sum from what I see.

I will take your advice and send in bulk. I think I may send a somewhat small quantity to see where they grade and that may help determine if it's worth sending a lot more.

Thanks for the help.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I never got into pokemon, but I have like 5k old Magic The Gathering cards, all from the 1st four editions, and a bunch of the booster sets from the same time period.

I would say those cards are circa 1993 - 1998

I have no idea where too look for value on any of that stuff.
WHAT!!!

You have gold. Gold I tell you.

See if you have Black Lotus.

Like, stop whatever you are doing right now and see if you have one.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I just sold my last Mantle (and definitely not for what a graded card would fetch, but it was not great.

I just don't want to send cards for $10 each if they're going to fetch less.

However - I looked through th ecards again and I may be underestimating. A year ago, I was thinking "they'll be graded far less than you hope" (I know none are in the Near Mint category). But I have several 1961 in very good condition, and three Blackhawks HOF players on 1957 cards that are in real good shape, and those could be worth a pretty good sum from what I see.

I will take your advice and send in bulk. I think I may send a somewhat small quantity to see where they grade and that may help determine if it's worth sending a lot more.

Thanks for the help.
Anything 1968 or earlier isn't gonna fetch less then the grading price if it's a hof'er in at least good condition. Not right now, at least, and probably never moving forward.

The best thing about getting a card graded is whatever shape it's in when you send it that's the grade it will always be unless you throw it directly on the ground edge side.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
WHAT!!!

You have gold. Gold I tell you.

See if you have Black Lotus.

Like, stop whatever you are doing right now and see if you have one.
I do not have a lotus.... anymore. I had one, a beta, in my possession for a while, but it got traded off for other cards back in the day. I also have owned several Mox cards that I do not own any longer. I actually have a black lotus card but it is that strange 8.5x11 card that they did a one off of. other that I have a pile of rare, uncommon, and common cards that have been used as parts of play decks.

A few are in card protectors, but mostly we just used them to play against each other back in the day.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I got super lucky today. Went to Target and the lady JUST stocked everything. New Donruss Kaboom, plus more Donruss sets... I was talking to her about the hobby and she was telling me how many people follow her store to store and dig in her boxes while she's setting up. She's said she gets in the aisle and 1 guy would just buy everything.

Super nice lady. She hooked me up with 2 blasters of Mosiac and 2 hangers.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I got super lucky today. Went to Target and the lady JUST stocked everything. New Donruss Kaboom, plus more Donruss sets... I was talking to her about the hobby and she was telling me how many people follow her store to store and dig in her boxes while she's setting up. She's said she gets in the aisle and 1 guy would just buy everything.

Super nice lady. She hooked me up with 2 blasters of Mosiac and 2 hangers.
But, what did you pull out the Mosaic? ???

I'm 95% certain I know who that one guy is. It's not me, but there's somebody in the area who has a ridiculous amount of retail.

I bought two mega boxes of 19/20 UD series one and lo and behold pulled a Kubalik and a Shea Weber jersey. Can't be mad, but both were in the same box and the other was complete shit

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But, what did you pull out the Mosaic? ???

I'm 95% certain I know who that one guy is. It's not me, but there's somebody in the area who has a ridiculous amount of retail.

I bought two mega boxes of 19/20 UD series one and lo and behold pulled a Kubalik and a Shea Weber jersey. Can't be mad, but both were in the same box and the other was complete shit

Haven't opened yet. Will do this week..

What area? I'm in suburbs.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Hit the Walmarts!!!!

Bowman chrome mega boxes and they're ringing up 19.99.

I bought two and pulled

2 Bo Bichette base RC
Robert base RC
A purple refractor of a White Sox named Steele which is a great fucking name but is miss cut
The arazaneeezane guy on the Rays base RC
and some kid on the Rangers auto who sells for 600 bucks.

The Mega Boxes are loaded

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow. Prizm has dropped on Fanatics already in megas and blasters.. Megas were 105, Blasters 50 already online for double-triple.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everything is dry near me for the past 3-4 weeks. So I decided to buy some rookies and stars and rip every once in a while.

Nice Tua’s wish they were numbered though.
492D16F7-117A-4F38-A6D7-248978D96FF6.jpeg