The Bears are tanking and rebuilding.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
For all the tanking CCS dopes have said the Bears are doing throughout the years, they should be full of top 1st round picks.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not tanking. And I wouldn't call it a rebuild either. This isn't getting blown up. There are a lot of good pieces in place. If Nagy had done his job, we'd be on our way to actually winning and competing. This is a lost year—growth, OL, WR, solidifying DEF, etc. If it was taking we'd have gotten rid of Roquan and Quinn and any other expensive asset, most likely. But we're not one player away either. Next year I expect to see some big moves in the draft and FA. We're going to win 5-6 games this year, not 1-2.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fifth year option trade market seems like the best place to spend money. Elite talent will become available, it always does. Just a matter of the Bears wanting to spend at that time.
TJ will get extended.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yes it's loaded. and that does not include contract holdouts like roquan who end up getting traded. That's how Khalil Mack was had back in the day when he was a raider holdout.
no, next years FA list is crap, not sure what you are even talking about.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Not tanking. And I wouldn't call it a rebuild either. This isn't getting blown up. There are a lot of good pieces in place. If Nagy had done his job, we'd be on our way to actually winning and competing. This is a lost year—growth, OL, WR, solidifying DEF, etc. If it was taking we'd have gotten rid of Roquan and Quinn and any other expensive asset, most likely. But we're not one player away either. Next year I expect to see some big moves in the draft and FA. We're going to win 5-6 games this year, not 1-2.
I’ll see your 5-6 and raise you 8-9

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
no, next years FA list is crap, not sure what you are even talking about.

It's not an impressive class going into this season but things can change

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL teams don't really tank, but this is a rebuild. I like how Poles is going about it so far. If the OL is alright and Fields is what we think he can be no reason this can't be an average team with this schedule and injury luck. That said, this is really about three things:

1. figuring out what you have in Fields. Is he the guy to build around? They've got enough around him to make that call imo, and if so next offseason will be about getting him some top talent (and a real 3T on defense).

2. changing the culture. Nagy and Pace really destroyed the culture. Very little accountability imo. Lots of breakdowns, missed assignments etc. I want to see a team that plays disciplined, assignment accountable football. And to play with consistent effort and energy.

3. finding a few free agents who you can count on long term. I thought Poles approach to FA was good, very restrained. Will two or three of these short term guys turn into reliable starters (Morrow, Young, Jones, Pringle, Muhammed eg). A couple of those guys pan out and next offseason there is enough capital to find some real impact guys.

I agree with everything you said accept for point #1 which is TBD. Until I see the oline in live action it’s too early to say if they’ve put enough around Fields to make a fair call. If the oline shows that they can protect the QB then all 3 of your points are spot on.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well, no, they actually can't. Of course other options can arise with cuts/trades/releases etc.

Some guys could theoretically have amazing seasons that aren't on this list. Sort of like Trey Hendrickson going into the 2020 season. Plenty of other examples, but I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’ll see your 5-6 and raise you 8-9
I'd actually RATHER then went 5-6 and lost a couple of close ones. We're not making the playoffs or going deep even if we did. I'd be pretty shocked at 8-9 wins TBH.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I'd actually RATHER then went 5-6 and lost a couple of close ones. We're not making the playoffs or going deep even if we did. I'd be pretty shocked at 8-9 wins TBH.
That’s fair. Could go either way for me…I like the prospect of shocking people and generating winning momentum going into next season. On the other end of it, 5-6 wins would garner a higher pick. However, that’s not to say Poles can’t draft a pro bowler in the middle of the first round either if they won 8 games. Lotta variables

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:
I see 3 wins. From the outside looking in....your roster isn't good.

I also have seen enough of Fields to think he isn't it. Even as I can plainly see he has no help, ....he's not it.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see 3 wins. From the outside looking in....your roster isn't good.

I also have seen enough of Fields to think he isn't it. Even as I can plainly see he has no help, ....he's not it.
I...wow. I mean, that's extreme IMO. They're definitely going to win more than three. I don't think Fields is a bust or that he has no help. Avatar bet?

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
It should be evident to Bears fans by now that Poles isn't a bandaid/quick fix kind of GM.

The roster is lacking, as he isn't spending on mid level FA so you guys can win 8 games. He's going to get your cap right. Also, I can tell you that IF he thought anything of Fields, he would have done everything he could to put guys around him to help him win. It is is plain as day that Poles believed from day 1, that Fields isn't the man.

The Bears are eating 57 million in dead cap this season as I type this. Robert Quinn will probably be traded in season, ...adding 4 million more in dead cap, but saving 12 million more.

Maybe Eddie Jackson goes too....get all that dead money knocked out this year, while "tanking" for a much better QB prospect.

I see some of you.....trying to find some far fetched justifications about this upcoming season....about Fields developing.... That's delusional thinking. You don't go eating 57 million in cap, hire a defensive minded HC, if you think your young QB is legit and ascending and you are ready to start trying to compete. The evidences says you are in the midst of a teardown and cap correction. Embrace it.

Poles will do a good job of building it up when it's time, but you guys are going to have to accept that it's being torn apart and that the tear down isn't even finished yet. ....should have been done after Trubisky didn't work out, instead of drafting Fields.

It sucks having to watch another QB bust out, and spend an entire season of football, essentially waiting for it to pass, so you can get on with the NEXT year...but that's where you are. You'll be better for it since Poles is going to do it right. ....and you'll be happy about it 2 years from now when the evidence is there that this was the right thing to do.

I'm telling you, this is fir the best and Poles is the right man for the job.
So you're telling me everything I bought in to a few days ago on the thread saying the Bears can easily go above 8 wins was a flat out lie filled with inaccuracies? The Bears are sitting at -150 under 6.5 wins will you guarantee my money if I take the under on this?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Blah blah blah, more of this bullshit. HE SHOULD'VE SIGNED MORE BIG NAMES.

How many of you are gonna post the same dumb shit every day?
If Fields doesn't show growth and become of franchise type QB will you say it wouldn't of mattered if Poles gave him some real talent to help him? Most teams do what they can to put talent around a 2nd round QB that just struggled in his rookie season so they don't fuck him up mentally when he's running for his life or has WR's that can't run great routes and make the tough catches or get open or whatever it may be.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don’t agree with all the OP said but I have to admit I’ve wondered a few times if Poles has already made up his mind Fields isn’t the guy and if he’s setting himself up for next years draft which could be a great year to draft a QB.

This is just pure speculation of course and I’m not saying it IS happening. Just saying it’s something that’s possible. I mean obviously Poles would never admit it. Of course he’s going to say he loves Fields and that’s his guy. But again…. we really don’t know for sure. (And probably never would know either)
This could work out well for the Bears if that's the case because there's a very good chance we're drafting top 5 so we could get one of these talented QB's in next years draft, and there's a few with serious talent, and then find a trade for Fields to a team that misses out on the top QB's in the draft.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I...wow. I mean, that's extreme IMO. They're definitely going to win more than three. I don't think Fields is a bust or that he has no help. Avatar bet?
We do have the 3rd easiest schedule sooooo............................

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To say the Bears are tanking would be to say that they have the talent to win but are choosing to lose instead. The Bears don't have the talent to win a lot of games so I would argue they are not tanking.

If you mean to say that Poles is tanking by not spending what limited cap space he has available I would argue that good teams don't build through FA but rather the draft. The fact is one or two big name FA's wouldn't have made much of a difference this year. It will take time for Justin to develop and a couple good drafts and then Poles can add a couple big FA's to compliment the core of young guys.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
To say the Bears are tanking would be to say that they have the talent to win but are choosing to lose instead. The Bears don't have the talent to win a lot of games so I would argue they are not tanking.

If you mean to say that Poles is tanking by not spending what limited cap space he has available I would argue that good teams don't build through FA but rather the draft. The fact is one or two big name FA's wouldn't have made much of a difference this year. It will take time for Justin to develop and a couple good drafts and then Poles can add a couple big FA's to compliment the core of young guys.
I would say that front offices and owners tank, players and coaches don't.

Good teams can be built many ways but it will be much harder to stay good year in year out if you don't build your good team through the draft, but it's still been done with the really smart GM's.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
For all the tanking CCS dopes have said the Bears are doing throughout the years, they should be full of top 1st round picks.
What years did people say they were tanking? It was obvious that Pace was really going for it since 2018. Also Pace traded away 3 1sts and and selected in the top 10 4 straight years. Only Smith stuck(so far).
I would say that front offices and owners tank, players and coaches don't.

Good teams can be built many ways but it will be much harder to stay good year in year out if you don't build your good team through the draft, but it's still been done with the really smart GM's.
Thanks but people want to hear from posters who didn't suck off a complete failure and loser of a GM for 7 years.