The Bears are tanking and rebuilding.

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:
It should be evident to Bears fans by now that Poles isn't a bandaid/quick fix kind of GM.

The roster is lacking, as he isn't spending on mid level FA so you guys can win 8 games. He's going to get your cap right. Also, I can tell you that IF he thought anything of Fields, he would have done everything he could to put guys around him to help him win. It is is plain as day that Poles believed from day 1, that Fields isn't the man.

The Bears are eating 57 million in dead cap this season as I type this. Robert Quinn will probably be traded in season, ...adding 4 million more in dead cap, but saving 12 million more.

Maybe Eddie Jackson goes too....get all that dead money knocked out this year, while "tanking" for a much better QB prospect.

I see some of you.....trying to find some far fetched justifications about this upcoming season....about Fields developing.... That's delusional thinking. You don't go eating 57 million in cap, hire a defensive minded HC, if you think your young QB is legit and ascending and you are ready to start trying to compete. The evidences says you are in the midst of a teardown and cap correction. Embrace it.

Poles will do a good job of building it up when it's time, but you guys are going to have to accept that it's being torn apart and that the tear down isn't even finished yet. ....should have been done after Trubisky didn't work out, instead of drafting Fields.

It sucks having to watch another QB bust out, and spend an entire season of football, essentially waiting for it to pass, so you can get on with the NEXT year...but that's where you are. You'll be better for it since Poles is going to do it right. ....and you'll be happy about it 2 years from now when the evidence is there that this was the right thing to do.

I'm telling you, this is fir the best and Poles is the right man for the job.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I thought it was plainly established the Bears aren't contending for anything this year. except maybe 3rd place in the division. I don't really understand why so many people's vaginas are in knots about whether players are going to be good or if they're the worst ever. I don't even anticipate seeing any games being out of state now.

the Bears now are kind of where they were in 2015. I don't anticipate 2016 level bad. it eats dick they're going to be in full rebuild mode again, but that's what happens when you have incompetence at GM. the NFL fortunately sees bad teams turn around very rapidly.

I'm not losing sleep over it.

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
It should be evident to Bears fans by now that Poles isn't a bandaid/quick fix kind of GM.

The roster is lacking, as he isn't spending on mid level FA so you guys can win 8 games. He's going to get your cap right. Also, I can tell you that IF he thought anything of Fields, he would have done everything he could to put guys around him to help him win. It is is plain as day that Poles believed from day 1, that Fields isn't the man.

The Bears are eating 57 million in dead cap this season as I type this. Robert Quinn will probably be traded in season, ...adding 4 million more in dead cap, but saving 12 million more.

Maybe Eddie Jackson goes too....get all that dead money knocked out this year, while "tanking" for a much better QB prospect.

I see some of you.....trying to find some far fetched justifications about this upcoming season....about Fields developing.... That's delusional thinking. You don't go eating 57 million in cap, hire a defensive minded HC, if you think your young QB is legit and ascending and you are ready to start trying to compete. The evidences says you are in the midst of a teardown and cap correction. Embrace it.

Poles will do a good job of building it up when it's time, but you guys are going to have to accept that it's being torn apart and that the tear down isn't even finished yet. ....should have been done after Trubisky didn't work out, instead of drafting Fields.

It sucks having to watch another QB bust out, and spend an entire season of football, essentially waiting for it to pass, so you can get on with the NEXT year...but that's where you are. You'll be better for it since Poles is going to do it right. ....and you'll be happy about it 2 years from now when the evidence is there that this was the right thing to do.

I agree when you say many here are delusional, but they aren't delusional because they don't think Fields is a "bust."

Indeed, the Bears have no shot at any success this year as far as winning enough to even sniff the playoffs. Those that are talking sneaking in the playoffs are the delusional ones. Saying that Justin Fields isn't "busting" is NOT delusional. The roster is what it is(arguably the worst in the NFL), but coaching staffs and players don't "tank" seasons. I don't believe Poles is tanking either, but it is going to take a couple years to get a roster that this coaching staff can get near 11 wins.

All the Bears can do is get a little better each day. I've heard glimmers of that. Justin Fields is feeling more comfortable out there. He has a offense he can truly believe in.

Not happening this year or next....but if everyone stays the course...I can see this team being legit playoff contenders in 2024. Hinges on Poles getting Getsy and Eberflus the players they need. No, wasting money on Will Fuller will not get this team there. The fact that Poles isn't making desperate moves like that, makes me feel he has a bit of a clue.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I agree when you say many here are delusional, but they aren't delusional because they don't think Fields is a "bust."

Indeed, the Bears have no shot at any success this year as far as winning enough to even sniff the playoffs. Those that are talking sneaking in the playoffs are the delusional ones. Saying that Justin Fields isn't "busting" is NOT delusional. The roster is what it is(arguably the worst in the NFL), but coaching staffs and players don't "tank" seasons. I don't believe Poles is tanking either, but it is going to take a couple years to get a roster that this coaching staff can get near 11 wins.

All the Bears can do is get a little better each day. I've heard glimmers of that. Justin Fields is feeling more comfortable out there. He has a offense he can truly believe in.

Not happening this year or next....but if everyone stays the course...I can see this team being legit playoff contenders in 2024. Hinges on Poles getting Getsy and Eberflus the players they need. No, wasting money on Will Fuller will not get this team there. The fact that Poles isn't making desperate moves like that, makes me feel he has a bit of a clue.
Holy shit, I’m agreeing with a Packer fan. This is a reasonable take. It’s highly doubtful that Poles has already deemed Fields a bust. Guys that are 6’ 3”, fast, smart, competitive, hard working, and that have real arm talent do not grow on trees. It was obvious the Bears and particularly Nagy did not have a clue on how to develop Fields. I believe this coaching staff and system give him a real chance to unlock his potential. It’s crazy how quickly fans want to label players in the current era.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

no

Bust

Liked Posts:
9-8 boyz

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I forgot about this troll. This is the guy that somehow believes Andy Reid will lead his team to a dynasty. The '20 SB victory for the Chiefs was their high point. All they have left now is year after year of Andy blowing it in the postseason.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
NFL teams don't really tank, but this is a rebuild. I like how Poles is going about it so far. If the OL is alright and Fields is what we think he can be no reason this can't be an average team with this schedule and injury luck. That said, this is really about three things:

1. figuring out what you have in Fields. Is he the guy to build around? They've got enough around him to make that call imo, and if so next offseason will be about getting him some top talent (and a real 3T on defense).

2. changing the culture. Nagy and Pace really destroyed the culture. Very little accountability imo. Lots of breakdowns, missed assignments etc. I want to see a team that plays disciplined, assignment accountable football. And to play with consistent effort and energy.

3. finding a few free agents who you can count on long term. I thought Poles approach to FA was good, very restrained. Will two or three of these short term guys turn into reliable starters (Morrow, Young, Jones, Pringle, Muhammed eg). A couple of those guys pan out and next offseason there is enough capital to find some real impact guys.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Blah blah blah, more of this bullshit. HE SHOULD'VE SIGNED MORE BIG NAMES.

How many of you are gonna post the same dumb shit every day?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don’t agree with all the OP said but I have to admit I’ve wondered a few times if Poles has already made up his mind Fields isn’t the guy and if he’s setting himself up for next years draft which could be a great year to draft a QB.

This is just pure speculation of course and I’m not saying it IS happening. Just saying it’s something that’s possible. I mean obviously Poles would never admit it. Of course he’s going to say he loves Fields and that’s his guy. But again…. we really don’t know for sure. (And probably never would know either)

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I agree with most of this. But I think the turnaround could happen faster than 2 years. Another year of experience for Fields, a good draft and a ton of cap next season could be enough to make this team pretty damn competitive in 2023. For me it all hinges on the oline and how that looks / develops this season. We'll see!

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there really that many top tier FA's available next year? The trouble with doing a massive rebuild through FA and cap is, the top tier guys are going to want multi year deals, so say goodbye to 2024 cap.

What the Bears need to do is explore creative ways to turn cap space into draft capital. Quinns trade value goes up if you eat 80% of his salary, etc etc.

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
I don’t agree with all the OP said but I have to admit I’ve wondered a few times if Poles has already made up his mind Fields isn’t the guy and if he’s setting himself up for next years draft which could be a great year to draft a QB.

This is just pure speculation of course and I’m not saying it IS happening. Just saying it’s something that’s possible. I mean obviously Poles would never admit it. Of course he’s going to say he loves Fields and that’s his guy. But again…. we really don’t know for sure. (And probably never would know either)
This. Actually, I think there’s 2 scenarios in play here and I think Poles is handling it perfectly.

He’s not sold on Fields, HOWEVER, he’s willing to be.. Coming from KC and Mahomes, I believe he wants someone with better pocket presence and reading his progressions, but with good athleticism. CJ Stroud and Bryce Young fit the bill. I think those are his guys. Even if they’re not in the top 2-3 picks, they’ll have a shot at the next tier of Levis, McKee and Richardson.

The 2nd scenario is if Fields is able to show any semblance of being a good NFL QB, then he easily pivots to taking a guy like Smith-Njigba or Boutte and building around Fields.

If Fields can do anything with this cast of goofs, then you know you got something to build around. Either way I think it’s sort of a win/win IMO. We’re going to have a high draft pick. It’ll either be a QB or an elite receiver.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Is there really that many top tier FA's available next year? The trouble with doing a massive rebuild through FA and cap is, the top tier guys are going to want multi year deals, so say goodbye to 2024 cap.

What the Bears need to do is explore creative ways to turn cap space into draft capital. Quinns trade value goes up if you eat 80% of his salary, etc etc.

yes it's loaded. and that does not include contract holdouts like roquan who end up getting traded. That's how Khalil Mack was had back in the day when he was a raider holdout.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This. Actually, I think there’s 2 scenarios in play here and I think Poles is handling it perfectly.

He’s not sold on Fields, HOWEVER, he’s willing to be.. Coming from KC and Mahomes, I believe he wants someone with better pocket presence and reading his progressions, but with good athleticism. CJ Stroud and Bryce Young fit the bill. I think those are his guys. Even if they’re not in the top 2-3 picks, they’ll have a shot at the next tier of Levis, McKee and Richardson.

The 2nd scenario is if Fields is able to show any semblance of being a good NFL QB, then he easily pivots to taking a guy like Smith-Njigba or Boutte and building around Fields.

If Fields can do anything with this cast of goofs, then you know you got something to build around. Either way I think it’s sort of a win/win IMO. Either way we’re going to have a high draft pick. It’ll either be a QB or an elite receiver.

Yeah I think this is all very logical and possible.

People won’t like it because much of this fan base freaks out at anything less than shear adoration for Fields. But it makes perfect sense. Good post.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Fifth year option trade market seems like the best place to spend money. Elite talent will become available, it always does. Just a matter of the Bears wanting to spend at that time.

Bust

Liked Posts:
yes it's loaded. and that does not include contract holdouts like roquan who end up getting traded. That's how Khalil Mack was had back in the day when he was a raider holdout.

That Mack trade came out of nowhere. WOW! Bears can make similar splash next season . . .