The Bears have a Top 10 Defense

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Among all the discussion about the team.. this is the one good aspect I seldom see anyone discussing.

Bears Defense
Overall #6
vs. the Pass #8
vs. the Run #15

The stats we aren't doing so well in are turn overs and points allowed. the latter being more so a result of the offense not taking care of the ball and putting the defense into bad positions. Plus pick 6's and Special Team scores effect that stat as well.

People will constantly complain about the FAs Pace has brought to the team. They refuse to understand how bad teams will have trouble attracting top tier FAs and they don't understand the concept of signing players to non-binding contracts. Also they act as if he hasn't brought any quality players to the team in spite of it being so bad.

This team was old and needed a full overhaul of the entire roster... and it still isn't finished... though not as far away as the record may show.

Players on Defense who Pace has brought in or drafted include: Hicks, Goldman, Trevathan, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, Cooper, Amukamara, Jackson, Amos.... in other words pretty much the entire starting line up which has helped bring the team back from having the leagues worst defense to one of the best.

Im not even going to get into the offensive side of the ball... cause that would be a long post on it's own.

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't realize we were that high. Figured around 10 but not 6 awesome

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Among all the discussion about the team.. this is the one good aspect I seldom see anyone discussing.

Bears Defense
Overall #6
vs. the Pass #8
vs. the Run #15

The stats we aren't doing so well in are turn overs and points allowed. the latter being more so a result of the offense not taking care of the ball and putting the defense into bad positions. Plus pick 6's and Special Team scores effect that stat as well.

People will constantly complain about the FAs Pace has brought to the team. They refuse to understand how bad teams will have trouble attracting top tier FAs and they don't understand the concept of signing players to non-binding contracts. Also they act as if he hasn't brought any quality players to the team in spite of it being so bad.

This team was old and needed a full overhaul of the entire roster... and it still isn't finished... though not as far away as the record may show.

Players on Defense who Pace has brought in or drafted include: Hicks, Goldman, Trevathan, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, Cooper, Amukamara, Jackson, Amos.... in other words pretty much the entire starting line up which has helped bring the team back from having the leagues worst defense to one of the best.

Im not even going to get into the offensive side of the ball... cause that would be a long post on it's own.

Add in Unrein, Bullard and Robertson-Harris too. It's amazing how many posters on this board just don't get this.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:

Bears Defense
Overall #6
vs. the Pass #8
vs. the Run #15

Umm Freeman, Kwiatkoski and Cooper haven't really done much his season so what are you even talking about? And Amos JUST had his 2ND impact game in THREE years.

Pace yourself. No pun intended.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Umm Freeman, Kwiatkoski and Cooper haven't really done much his season so what are you even talking about? And Amos JUST had his 2ND impact game in THREE years.

Pace yourself. No pun intended.

Are you seriously down on freeman? Freeman was the best player on the defense until hicks started dominating. He has played incredibly well and he was signed to a really affordable contract. Also kwiatkoski has looked great as a 4th round pick. Don't let the injuries mar your perception of this

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Give this defense one OLB, one CB, and one Safety and we are a top 3 unit. Our DB play this year has been great and a nice surprise, but I still think we can upgrade from Amos and opposite of Fuller. Assuming Fuller continues to play like he has so far.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Add in Unrein, Bullard and Robertson-Harris too. It's amazing how many posters on this board just don't get this.

Most posters DO get this... But facts are facts. Pace has put together a team that can't win 3 in a row and rarely 2 in a row. If this team goes on a 3 or more game win streak you'll see people change their oppinions on Pace real fast. (I'm hoping we see that sometime this year now that The Pretty Boy Assasin is starting)

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’m most impressed with the secondary and can admit I was dead wrong on it, I felt Pace blew it by not getting a top tier CB but his plan b has worked so hats off.

The problem I have is these one year deals for average players in the $7 million range have cost us picks in the compensatory game. Media freak out about losing a 3rd for Trubisky which was totally worth it, but are silent to the fact we lost similar picks to sign guys like Wheaton lol. Clueless hacks.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Are you seriously down on freeman? Freeman was the best player on the defense until hicks started dominating. He has played incredibly well and he was signed to a really affordable contract. Also kwiatkoski has looked great as a 4th round pick. Don't let the injuries mar your perception of this

But you said they've helped. Injuries say they haven't.

So yes...injuries are a factor.

If you're not available, youre not contributing.

Not down on anybody...just pointing out the facts.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’m most impressed with the secondary and can admit I was dead wrong on it, I felt Pace blew it by not getting a top tier CB but his plan b has worked so hats off.

The problem I have is these one year deals for average players in the $7 million range have cost us picks in the compensatory game. Media freak out about losing a 3rd for Trubisky which was totally worth it, but are silent to the fact we lost similar picks to sign guys like Wheaton lol. Clueless hacks.

Not sure you understand how comp picks work.... We have to lose some big name players to get comp picks. Who did we lose last year worthy of a comp pick? And don't say Alshon, he only signed for a one year deal. That matters in the calculations.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I care 500% more about defense than offense, always did, and the same with basketball. The only 3 offensive guys I ever was gung ho about the Bears drafting were Rex Grossman, Tyler Lockett and Mitch Trubisky. I am thrilled with the defense this year. I think that we would have been seeing much of this last year as well, if not for the non-stop injuries throughout the year.

Notwithstanding any major injuries for the remainder of the year, I expect continued improvement and success on the defense as an attitude and experience together falls into play. Would love to see the points allowed by the D this year if deducting out special teams and points on turnovers. I think it would be in the 10 per game area.

Fired up. Good post.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

The problem I have is these one year deals for average players in the $7 million range have cost us picks in the compensatory game. Media freak out about losing a 3rd for Trubisky which was totally worth it, but are silent , to the fact we lost similar picks to sign guys like Wheaton lol. Clueless hacks.
The Bears have lost zero compensatory picks because of player signings. You first have to lose a valued player. AJ might have garnered a late rounder, but that would have required the Bears signing no one at his mediocre playing level. Can you imagine if the Bears signed no one equivalent to AJ's talent level at any position this off season?

And the 1 year contracts are not less likely to picks, they are actually more likely. If one of the one year players decide to go elsewhere for decent money, they would count in the players lost column when factoring compensatory picks.

The Bears have no chance at compensatory picks until their talent level rises to more losses than gains in the off season. They are getting closer, but still are a ways off.

Nicker

Liked Posts:

The problem is, none of these guys are playmakers. Goldman, freeman and Hicks are all nice players but none of them need to be game planned for. In order for a defense to be good, you need impact players, preferably one at each level. This defense is good enough to keep us in games, but we aren't winning any games because of the defense. Combine that with an offense that can't score points, you have a recipe for <6 wins. Which is where I think we'll end up.

With that being said, the defense is leaps and bounds ahead of where they were 3 years ago when pace took over. Its unfortunate that they haven't hit any home runs in the draft and landed an impact player on defense.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Fangio dial up some more nickel blitzes when appropriate. Callahan is good at them.

Just take some more chances in general now that our guys are starting to find their "swagger".

I think we've been so turnover starved for so long because our young guys have been playing "scared". Now they're starting to play with confidence. And I hope that means they start taking more chances. Thats how we'll get more turnovers.

Fangio has to play his part too. He takes "bend but don't break" to a whole new level. I get it, sometimes...but sometimes you have to roll the dice to get those game changing turnovers. I feel like he doesn't do enough of that.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
But you said they've helped. Injuries say they haven't.

So yes...injuries are a factor.

If you're not available, youre not contributing.

Not down on anybody...just pointing out the facts.

So with respect to the topic of the thread saying that Pace has done a good job revamping the defense.... you picked out 2 ILB's and said they can't contribute because they are injured. Do you think the position needs to be upgraded?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Give this defense one OLB, one CB, and one Safety and we are a top 3 unit. Our DB play this year has been great and a nice surprise, but I still think we can upgrade from Amos and opposite of Fuller. Assuming Fuller continues to play like he has so far.

Our db play has been good but not great. They aren't getting takeaways. I don't blame them because they had to work with a short field most of the time because of the crap offense.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The problem is, none of these guys are playmakers. Goldman, freeman and Hicks are all nice players but none of them need to be game planned for. In order for a defense to be good, you need impact players, preferably one at each level. This defense is good enough to keep us in games, but we aren't winning any games because of the defense. Combine that with an offense that can't score points, you have a recipe for <6 wins. Which is where I think we'll end up.

With that being said, the defense is leaps and bounds ahead of where they were 3 years ago when pace took over. Its unfortunate that they haven't hit any home runs in the draft and landed an impact player on defense.

Hicks has to be game planned for.

So which defense has playmakers at every level, if you don't count probably the 3rd best 5 tech in the NFL right now as a playmaker?