The Bears have not (yet) said they are retaining Matt Nagy...

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The obvious rationale would be that the Bears dont want to offer any distractions heading into a playoff game, but that theory falls apart under more thought. Nagy's job status has been the elephant in the room the entire second half of the season, his fate appeared sealed at one point but he has brought himself back from that brink. Still, with no guarantees regarding his job status for 2021 those questions remain and are arguably a bigger distraction than breaking the news that Nagy is coming back another year. Especially with the week seventeen loss to the Packers.

This makes me feel like its very likely that Nagy was coaching for his job this past Sunday, a playoff clinching opportunity against the Bears biggest rival at home, but got a mulligan due to Arizona's complete late season collapse. Now his fate gets decided in New Orleans in a game very few are giving the Bears a reasonable chance of winning. The silence from Bears brass makes this feel like they are expecting a Bears loss against the Saints this Sunday and that they will seize that opportunity to announce a change.

If Nagy's job status for 2021 was safe it would've been announced by now, there's no reason to remain mum about it. The idea that it would motivate Nagy to...uhh...coach harder?...is bunk. Matt Nagy has his faults but he is certainly not lazy nor unmotivated. The idea that keeping him in the dark about his job status would make any difference in New Orleans this Sunday really holds no water.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Stop. You’re getting my hopes up now.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't ole' Rapsheet reporting Sunday that he's back? He is rarely wrong.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The obvious rationale would be that the Bears dont want to offer any distractions heading into a playoff game, but that theory falls apart under more thought. Nagy's job status has been the elephant in the room the entire second half of the season, his fate appeared sealed at one point but he has brought himself back from that brink. Still, with no guarantees regarding his job status for 2021 those questions remain and are arguably a bigger distraction than breaking the news that Nagy is coming back another year. Especially with the week seventeen loss to the Packers.

This makes me feel like its very likely that Nagy was coaching for his job this past Sunday, a playoff clinching opportunity against the Bears biggest rival at home, but got a mulligan due to Arizona's complete late season collapse. Now his fate gets decided in New Orleans in a game very few are giving the Bears a reasonable chance of winning. The silence from Bears brass makes this feel like they are expecting a Bears loss against the Saints this Sunday and that they will seize that opportunity to announce a change.

If Nagy's job status for 2021 was safe it would've been announced by now, there's no reason to remain mum about it. The idea that it would motivate Nagy to...uhh...coach harder?...is bunk. Matt Nagy has his faults but he is certainly not lazy nor unmotivated. The idea that keeping him in the dark about his job status would make any difference in New Orleans this Sunday really holds no water.
:dramatic:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems a conservative take. Not yet denied so must be true.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because he is under contract for next season the actual announcement the Organization would make is not Nagy being retained but him being fired. Retained is the given.

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
Jesus, is this how people feel when I get long-winded?

Okay, I apologize here and now for the novelas I've ever written.

To the op: the Bears as an organization and really most football organizations will not announce what they plan to do until they actually do it so your point is moot.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Do you guys think they even feel obligated to announce anything? He's still under contract thru next year.

I could see if his contract was expired...
The Broncos and Bengals both felt obligated to make this sort of announcement with regards to Vic Fangio and Zac Taylor, respectively. Worth taking into account.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The Broncos and Bengals both felt obligated to make this sort of announcement with regards to Vic Fangio and Zac Taylor, respectively. Worth taking into account.
Who do they play this week?

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
eh...I could believe that. Maybe that's why Nagy went back to playcalling. He probably figured that if he were to go down, he'd go down calling his own plays.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Who do they play this week?
Well see that's kind of my point. At first glance you'd chalk it up to the Bears having a game this week and not wanting to comment on job status while the season is still alive. But wouldn't a team still in the hunt have an even greater impetus to reaffirm their coaches job status? The players surely have to be thinking about whether Nagy will stick around. It was too big of a talking point for too long for everyone just to forget.

It would absolutely make sense for Bears brass to come out and say "Matt's made the playoffs, we feel that's good enough for him to get a vote of confidence for 2021" and put an end to any doubts.