The Bears might be the NFL’s best example right now of an organization with no plan

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Pace not signing AR last offseason was a big win. He wouldn’t have gotten that on the market this year. Tagging him was easily the best solution. That shouldn’t even be an argument...

msadows

Liked Posts:
Pace not signing AR last offseason was a big win. He wouldn’t have gotten that on the market this year. Tagging him was easily the best solution. That shouldn’t even be an argument...

Yup

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Maybe they do have a plan. It’s just not YOUR plan...

msadows

Liked Posts:
Maybe they do have a plan. It’s just not YOUR plan...

Not really sure what fans expect. This isn't the nba, no team ever really just blows it up if they are mediocre.

The smartest move would obviously to be bad on purpose to draft a QB. Issue is the bears got way too much talent. We'll finish with 7-8 wins and end up picking out of the top 10 again.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Walking into Halas Hall like

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Not really sure what fans expect. This isn't the nba, no team ever really just blows it up if they are mediocre.

The smartest move would obviously to be bad on purpose to draft a QB. Issue is the bears got way too much talent. We'll finish with 7-8 wins and end up picking out of the top 10 again.

The Bears have zero depth. They are a couple of injuries away of a top 10 pick.

This team is very fragile right now.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Hmm... I don’t know. Perhaps because they could have signed him for far less?

Just a hunch.

He ranks in the middle. There are far bigger cap gripes to chirp about

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Huh?

They had a plan. The plan failed.

Everyone knew if the mitch experiment didn't work out this team would become bad around this point with aging vets and limited depth. They mortgaged the future on mitch and mitch let them down.

The plan was not a bad one, the execution was terrible. If pace picked the right qb 5 years ago this team would probably have two super bowls by now. Such a shame.
It was botched before that. They should have fired fox before the Mitch draft and let the new hc hand pick their qb.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Sooo us fans get to criticize the FO, but when a writer says it, he is wrong?

- Robinson, you could go either way, and while I'm glad Robinson is here, I'm worried that he is going to be making a lot of business decisions this year and will be a shell of his former self.

- Santos just like any kicker is only as good as his current form. He got an average deal, which takes into account for his up and down years (last year was an up year)

- Dalton is not the savior, and he likely got a little too much money, but the reality is he got less than he was worth last year because of the dick move by the Bengal to release him late. The Bears have done much worse than the Dalton deal in recent history.

- We have not yet had the draft, and if the Bears decide that they are actually going to play the long game and get value by drafting O-line, WR and CB, then that is a "direction".

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I get complaining about Dalton, but why is he even wasting his breath talking about $3M/yr on Santos?

Honestly, the whole thing is incredibly fucking stupid.

Anyone who bitches about a one year contract should be slapped upside the head; those deals have ZERO future cap ramifications. NONE. So bitching about how much an athlete gets paid on a 1 year deal is just fucking moronic.

The bitching over the kicker is also questionable, and the shit about A-Rob? I mean... really?

There are so many more avenues this guy could have taken that would have been legit, but to choose those 3 arguments as his hill to die on... just really fucking stupid.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Huh?

Everyone knew if the mitch experiment didn't work out this team would become bad around this point with aging vets and limited depth. They mortgaged the future on mitch and mitch let them down.

The plan was not a bad one, the execution was terrible. If pace picked the right qb 5 years ago this team would probably have two super bowls by now. Such a shame.

Nailed it.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Huh?

Right on. The plan was easy as hell to see. Draft your QB and spend liberally on a supporting cast that can get you to the superbowl before your QB comes up for extension. System failure was that the QB wasn't good. It's no mystery at all that we're pressed up against the cap when said QB was due for an extension because it was the plan all along.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Right on. The plan was easy as hell to see. Draft your QB and spend liberally on a supporting cast that can get you to the superbowl before your QB comes up for extension. System failure was that the QB wasn't good. It's no mystery at all that we're pressed up against the cap when said QB was due for an extension because it was the plan all along.

Frankly, this could be the key reason why Pace and Nagy still have a job. IF they had gotten the quarterback right, the plan would have worked, timing and everything. No one would be wringing their hands over the cap situation right now because we'd be contending for SuperBowls.

It's just that missing on that one position means missing the window and the whole plan gets shot to hell.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Anyone who bitches about a one year contract should be slapped upside the head; those deals have ZERO future cap ramifications. NONE. So bitching about how much an athlete gets paid on a 1 year deal is just fucking moronic.
Yes and No - NFL has cap rollover, so spending $10M on a one year contract is taking $10M potential cap dollars away from the next seasons cap. But you still have to sign 53 players, so at the same time SOME money would have to be spent on that roster spot.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Bears did have a solid plan - they maximized their assets to get the most out of the last 3 seasons. Plan was to have their star QB on a rookie contract mature fast enough to take advantage of the fantastic D before salary cap and age forced it to regress. Unfortunately Pace chose the 1 out of 3 QB who wouldn’t be able to do that. Now there is no plan, at least long term, this is what “do your best to put together a team that win more games than you lose, and if you don’t magically go deep in the playoffs we’ll come up with a new long term plan next year” looks like. AKA punted rebuild for a day later and dollar shorter version of last years team. I’ll still root for them every game but I’m gonna call a duck a duck.

It's not a solid plan to get a rookie QB who needs experience and focus on defense with draft picks for his whole contract. That's guaranteeing your QB isn't going to work. It wouldn't have mattered who Trubisky was, we guaranteed he wasn't going to work in Chicago.

Instead of Smith and Mack we we had many good oline that we could've had with any of those picks. I'm guessing a few RBs and WRs worthy too.
We bitch about it 16 times a year, all it takes is the refs ignoring holds on our defense and those picks are negated. Flag the defense for playing defense a few times and the game is lost.

If you want to play in the modern offense focused NFL you need to draft top offensive players. Without that basic plan you have no plan.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
The plan was to ride another year with a shitty coach and GM rather than try to turn the franchise around. The plan has worked perfectly.

I'd like to see New England try to execute this plan... just look at what's happened there after a single year of failure.

Face it, the Bears are THE franchise for presenting piss poor performance as "almost there" to its fans and the fans just eat it up.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I thought someone on CCS said it's going to be as much to sign AR as it would be to tag him. If they were right with that claim that is a very good reason.

The real head slapper with this team goes back to Mack's trade and contract. That is why we are here. Our QB didn't get a fair chance, we don't have an offense for any other QB, and we're in cap hell.
But we upgraded the top 10 defense so the NFL rules and refs could negate having a good defense.
Amazingly wrong.