The cap will be around $190 milliion in 2019

Matt2012

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wisconsin Badgers
Great news. Makes it a lot easier to retain key guys such as Callahan.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Great news. Makes it a lot easier to retain key guys such as Callahan.

according to some on here we could just let him walk since there isn't a major dropoff from him to mcmanis.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
according to some on here we could just let him walk since there isn't a major dropoff from him to mcmanis.

I love Bryce Callahan but he definitely struggles to stay on the field and players do not typically get more durable as their careers go on.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:

It's important to have good depth. McManis is a good example of good quality depth.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
With Callahan’s injury history and this being his longest standout season, I doubt he breaks the bank. I’m thinking 5-6 mil per

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
How much money will the Bears have once they cut Kyle Long?

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Keep in mind everyone else will have the extra cap space too, which may actually mean Callahan and other second-tier free agents (like Amos) wind up costing an even larger percentage of the cap as more GM's find themselves with resource flexibility to shore up a weakness like nickel back.

What I would look into if I were the Bears is using this money to see what happens with the franchise tag. Landon Collins has publicly said he'll make a big fuss if the Giants tag him, and after the Bell situation where Pittsburgh totally screwed themselves I wonder if teams will be reticent to still ignore that kind of bluster from players anymore. Adding Collins or Mathieu would be a massive upgrade over Amos, more than offsetting the loss of RRH and Callahan.

The other option, which can be done on top of upgrading safety, is finding a way to find a complement to Mack the way the Clowney is to Watt or Ware was to Von Miller. Much less options there since I am terrified of Dee Ford and know there's just no way Frank Clark or Jadeveon Clowney are hitting the open market...but Bears can still get crafty.

Luck is going to bounce the other way for the Bears a little next season and they'll have a tougher schedule. Assuming the Bears win the division they are going to play the Rams and the Saints (as opposed to this year the Giants and 49ers). They will need to stay ahead of that by adding some truly elite talent. Keeping standouts like Callahan and RRH would be great, but they are both a cut or two below elite-level (Callahan more for durability issues than anything). Let them walk and enjoy the 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2020, by then they'll be really needing the draft capital. In the meantime refocus the assets on another elite talent that can keep, or even elevate, the defense's level during this window the Bears have.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Bryce Callahan but he definitely struggles to stay on the field and players do not typically get more durable as their careers go on.

Callahan had the injury this year and short term concussion back in 2016......that is the only injuries he has had....

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I could swear he's had nagging problems at times through his career.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
This means we are signing Le'Veon Bell doesn't it!!!??!!??!??!??

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's played 9, 11, 12, and 13 games in his four years. I'm not sure how much of that is due to injury but I'm sure '17 and '18 missed games were and I think '16 was too.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's played 9, 11, 12, and 13 games in his four years. I'm not sure how much of that is due to injury but I'm sure '17 and '18 missed games were and I think '16 was too.

he just didn't get in those games....The Callahan you see now was not always so. He was released by the Bears, on their practice squad......it wasn't until last year he started coming into his own...if you recall, Bears tendered him and no one offered him a contract last offseason.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
he just didn't get in those games....The Callahan you see now was not always so. He was released by the Bears, on their practice squad......it wasn't until last year he started coming into his own...if you recall, Bears tendered him and no one offered him a contract last offseason.

Google "Bryce Callahan hamstring" and some things pop up.

There was a period 2016-17 where the Bears tried to convert Callahan into a CB and it did not go well. I dont know if they actually went so far as have him not dress...those squads were so empty on talent that I dont know if it would ever come to that.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Google "Bryce Callahan hamstring" and some things pop up.

There was a period 2016-17 where the Bears tried to convert Callahan into a CB and it did not go well. I dont know if they actually went so far as have him not dress...those squads were so empty on talent that I dont know if it would ever come to that.

He had a hamstring that forced him to miss the remainder of a game but was in the next week.

Considering they cut him and had him on a practice squad it is safe to say he did miss games due to not beating out the guys in front of him

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Which games? He was hurt last year and this year for sure, which is what I wrote. I'm not sure about 2016, but I remember him having hamstring issues that season.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Just because he didnt miss games doesn't mean he wasn't meaningfully injured. Its a concern with Bryce, and a big enough concern that I wouldn't be willing to pay what some other team will undoubtedly give up for his services this off-season.