The Chicago Bears defense is no longer special. What happens next?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Go all out offense. Hard to play defense with todays NFL ruleset anyways. Mack for one should have had at least 3 to 4 more sacks last year had the plays not been overturned due to defensive trash penalties.

Ray Lewis understands....

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
The only thing you can really do is try and get as many talented players on rookie contracts as possible (but you always want to do this), avoid signing guys who realistically only have 2-3 years left to contracts that have impact past 2023 (like Quinn), but under those parameters try and put out the best squad you can until the Bears commit to rebuilding the Offense. One thing the Bears should really really really be trying to get is a stud rookie EDGE in the next 1-2 drafts - its like the QB of defense in terms of importance and pay although not necessarily function. Having good EDGE and corners on rookie deals is how you maximize your return on cap investment on D, what you dont want is to spend $46M in cap between 2 Edge players over 30 like the Bears will be in 2022.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Getting rid of Pagano was the best move this offseason. I'm pretty sure that fucking idiot moved on to retirement because he knew his stupid ass was going to get fired. He was a disgrace as a defensive coordinator.

this is where I’m at. I want to see what a new dc brings to the table before writing the defense off.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Goldman's return and if Quinn gets healthy along with better gameplanning/playcalling from the new DC, should have this defense back to playing damn good without Fuller. Hoping Hicks still has some gas in the tank. And keep Danny T off the field too.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
People mad at the offense last year continued to overlook our defense was by far the highest paid group in the league yet performed outside of the top 10.

Meanwhile our offense was paid like a 20-25th ranked offense and played like it.

One group met their expectation, the other did not.

Even without Fuller, if we retain Hicks, we are near the top again. We just need them to meet expectations. If they do, they should be a top 5-10 unit. This year is still all about the defense.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
People mad at the offense last year continued to overlook our defense was by far the highest paid group in the league yet performed outside of the top 10.

Meanwhile our offense was paid like a 20-25th ranked offense and played like it.

One group met their expectation, the other did not.

Even without Fuller, if we retain Hicks, we are near the top again. We just need them to meet expectations. If they do, they should be a top 5-10 unit. This year is still all about the defense.

This. Pagano wasted a defense.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
2 sides to that coin. Goldman coming back probably equals Fuller leaving. JJ has another year of experience. Another year of experience for some depth players in Vildor, Shelley and Gipson. Eddie Jackson has a chance to bounce back from a bad year. Quinn should be healthy.

Very possible for defense to regress, also possibly for them to play at 2019 levels.

Best possible scenario probably not a top 5 defense, but could be close if Mack and Quinn ball out. A front 7 that includes Mack, Quinn, Roquan, Hicks and Nichols could provide formidable pressure. Back end of JJ and Eddie Jackson isn't bad and if you hit on a draft pick you could still have a very good defense.
Dude, Hicks has been hurt the last two years, he likely will again. Quinn sucked ass last year, who would expect a 180? Eddie has been bad since he picked off Rodgers at the end of 2018 and hurt himself. Mack hasn't been great since that first game of 2018.

People keep expecting this D to get good again, but age is running against them.

I think we all have to embrace for the worst.

Perspective

Liked Posts:
That’s why I would not mind at all if Pace decides to get Greg Rosseau with first pick in draft .... get after the QB is where SBs are won ... that Tampa DL beat the packers and chiefs ..... not Tom focking Brady

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You doomers are funny.

DOOOOOOOM!

Pfft.

Look I'm not expecting a Super Bowl by any stretch, but many of you are leaking an emotional judgment while trying to pretend it's a logical one.

The reality is that even composed as they are now, Andy Dalton is a better quarterback than Mitch trubisky when giving protection. People seem to have short-term memory regarding the offensive line, which held up the last two games against better teams, and really has been okay ever since Sam Mustapher took over center.

Fuller for trufant is a downgrade, but let's not pretend that Fuller was this awesome cover corner - his skills were jumping routes when there was a pass rush and hitting like a linebacker at times. But he would also get burned because of his over aggressiveness which he was because frankly he wasn't that good of a cover corner.

Also, while everyone is feeling negative about the defense being a year older, we realistically don't know the deal with Robert Quinn yet. Everyone just wants to easily write him off as an overpriced bust and he still very well could be that. But then there was word that he played hurt last year. If that ends up being true and not just an excuse then the pass rush could see an improvement, and there is no substitute on defense for a good pass rush. It can make lesser secondary players look better.

On offense, it's trendy to bitch about Nagy's scheme, but if you take a closer look at Mitch in that scheme, there were always wide receivers wide open for him to throw to. There were just a ton of times where he flat didn't even see them. Is it the schemes problem if the receivers are open but the quarterback is too stupid to read the field and find them? That seems like a very clear quarterback issue to me.

And frankly for the people who are paying attention, it happened so often that if you simply had an average quarterback get the ball to the open receiver in those cases 75% of the time more than Mitch did, you probably would end up with a third the more yards then what you got in total last year, and likely end up scoring a lot more too.

An offense it's not rocket science. The offensive line is now good enough although I wouldn't hate some upgrades at the tackle position. You don't need a Hall of Fame quarterback in this parity League to get you to 10 and 7 and the playoffs.

The Bears just need an adequate game manager to distribute the ball, and if that game manager is good enough at it, he's going to have a shit ton of yards by the end of the season.

Not to mention, you never know you're from year which teams will play better and which will play worse. It's always a crapshoot trying to guess the schedule.

So yeah, barring injury put me down as the Bears going 10 and 7. Because of a better quarterback, parity, and the defense drop off not being nearly as bad as doomers are saying.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1618007311789.png

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So never get anywhere regardless of the amount of top 10 picks?
Well, I was being facetious, but upon further review...
Going back to 2015 (6 years) the Bears have had 4 top ten picks. Of course they didn't have a first rounder the last two years but here's what they did:
2018 Smith
2017 Trubisky
2016 Floyd
2015 White
Smith is the only player still on the team. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I quit giving my fucks to the bears when they didn’t fire anyone.

Having said that I will be ripping dicks in week 1.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I'll never understand where people are coming up with 8 wins for this team. The defense will be worse, the QB play will be the same, and the schedule is top-3 hardest.

6-11 at best.

Same way they get 8 wins every year, smoke and mirrors.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Same way they get 8 wins every year, smoke and mirrors.

It's funny, I live in San Diego and after week 3 last year someone saw my Bears license plate holder and asked me what I think of the Bears' 3-0 start. I said it's all smoke and mirrors, they should be 0-3.

That was a 5-11 team masquerading as 8-8. I agree they may get a/some illegit wins this season but even that's factored into my 6-11 prediction considering their SOS.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The offense gets better or we are fucked

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'll never understand where people are coming up with 8 wins for this team. The defense will be worse, the QB play will be the same, and the schedule is top-3 hardest.

6-11 at best.
The division is really bad. The Bears got worse, but so did everyone else. Eight wins is not out of the question, despite how bad the Bears are.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
the problem with this team, and the casual fanbase, is they "needed" those worthless wins against terrible teams at the end of the season last year. and the 7th playoff seed/backing in thing was vital to their mental health or something. they should've ran with like Bray at quarterback and pretended it was like preseason to evaluate the backups and get a slightly higher position in the draft. the team was completely uncompetitive against the Packers and Saints; they weren't winning anything, so what was the long-term goal point of that?
If you have a chance to go to the payoffs, you take it every time. And they went. I’ve got zero problems with that.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its gonna be a shit show trying to stop the pass this season. Even more so if our DL can't get to the QB (obviously)

Losing Donatell when Fangio went to Denver was a really big deal that didn't get as much press. Those guys on the back end really took to his coaching, and haven't been the same since.

I read an article a while back that explained how Fangio/Dontatell used their defensive backs in SF, and how critical the Safeties were v the CBs. Both were important, but they were able to plug and play a few different corner combos and still be successful because S was established and steady the entire time. Hoping they can get back to that with EJ playing in his more familiar role and now needing to be the leader back there.

I was hollaring about this too

Fangio's system relieved pressure on CBs, but even more so on safeties. He really sets them up to shine