The Cleveland Guardians????

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I could see avoiding that route too. Just keeping race and politics out completely.
I don't see anything political about those names, and more than avoiding names simply because they come from negro leagues could be a political decision.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I don't see anything political about those names, and more than avoiding names simply because they come from negro leagues could be a political decision.
PC culture sucks the life outta everything. Sometimes the response is a vanilla name with no history, flavor, spirit...etc. Afraid to do anything to upset anyone.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
PC culture sucks the life outta everything. Sometimes the response is a vanilla name with no history, flavor, spirit...etc. Afraid to do anything to upset anyone.
But there is no evidence that this was done because of PC. In fact naming the team after a nergo league team would be more PC, wouldn't it?

They also could have chosen Spiders, which was a MLB team in Cleveland for about 15 years.

The vast majority of Clevelanders were going to be upset no matter what the name is. I think they chose Guardians because it kinda sounds like Indians.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
But there is no evidence that this was done because of PC. In fact naming the team after a nergo league team would be more PC, wouldn't it?

They also could have chosen Spiders, which was a MLB team in Cleveland for about 15 years.

The vast majority of Clevelanders were going to be upset no matter what the name is. I think they chose Guardians because it kinda sounds like Indians.
I don't know why they chose it - just a hunch.

Just seems vanilla af and really safe after the initial moaning is done. Kinda like the Magic or Wizards.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't know why they chose it - just a hunch.

Just seems vanilla af and really safe after the initial moaning is done. Kinda like the Magic or Wizards.
There hasn't been a good name change or new name in awhile, and I'd say that goes back long before PC (the dreamsicle Buccaneers). The Seattle Kraken? WTF? That's a stretch even for hockey, which is much weirder with their nicknames than other leagues.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Can't wait to see the mascot.

images

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
There hasn't been a good name change or new name in awhile, and I'd say that goes back long before PC (the dreamsicle Buccaneers). The Seattle Kraken? WTF? That's a stretch even for hockey, which is much weirder with their nicknames than other leagues.
One of the finalist names for the Texans was the Apollos referencing the space history of the area. That would have been much cooler.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
How about the Cuyahoga River Fire?

Too Soon?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
:speechless:

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think it's badass. Most names are some lame ass animal or a storm.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
To "guard" Cleveland implies someone wants to go there. Maybe they're guarding ppl from leaving.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There’s some sort of “guardian” statues outside the stadium. Think the name comes from that

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
They should have gone with the historical name, the Cleveland Naps

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
meh

any name sounds dumb until it's been around for a while and ppl have built associations with it

I mean shit, there used to be a team called the Oilers. Talk about dumb. But once people develop those associations, they get attached.

Pretty Much.