The Cleveland Guardians????

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Houston Oilers was much better than the Houston Texans.

Nah. Texans sounds better and Oilers didnt actually make sense. An Oiler oils sonething or is the name of the tanker. The Houston logo was not of a tanker. It gave the impression that someone that extracted oil was known as an oiler but that isnt exactly correct.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Similarly with Washington, I think there is some way they could have found to honor Native American history with the name.

Native American culture will be ingrained in the U.S. until time immortal. Many of our towns, lakes and rivers, among many other things are still called their original Native American name.

I think we are erasing things from our history instead of finding a way to properly honor them.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know why they chose it - just a hunch.

Just seems vanilla af and really safe after the initial moaning is done. Kinda like the Magic or Wizards.
well actually the extreme christians will boycott you for those.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hilarious seeing how mad so many middle age and older white men are about this lmao

????

Maybe they can reflect on the fact Indians just exposed the stupidity of their ancestors who thought America was India. And then reveled in their stupidity by deciding to mislabel a group of people for several hundred years.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bwahahahahahahaha…..

sorry, way off topic but WTF kind of name is that?

I really hope Washington stays the Washington Football Team. Way better than the crap Cleveland came up with.
I dunno, The Washington Warriors has a nice ring to it.

mecha

Liked Posts:
the Redskins were the Redskins for almost 90 years. I don't quite understand why it was socially acceptable for them to be called that for that span of time and now suddenly it's inappropriate.

I would think more than anything Native Americans just want themselves and their land to be left alone. even they refer to themselves as Indians, even though it's scientifically wrong. MLB just have a fetish for changing shit and it's affecting all of professional sports.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
the Redskins were the Redskins for almost 90 years. I don't quite understand why it was socially acceptable for them to be called that for that span of time and now suddenly it's inappropriate.

I would think more than anything Native Americans just want themselves and their land to be left alone. even they refer to themselves as Indians, even though it's scientifically wrong. MLB just have a fetish for changing shit and it's affecting all of professional sports.

Slavery existed for hundreds of years. I don't quite understand why it was socially acceptable to own slaves for that span of time and then in 1861 it was suddenly inappropriate.

The answer of course is some people always thought it was inappropriate. It just took time for those that make the decisions to catch up.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Nah. Texans sounds better and Oilers didnt actually make sense. An Oiler oils sonething or is the name of the tanker. The Houston logo was not of a tanker. It gave the impression that someone that extracted oil was known as an oiler but that isnt exactly correct.
How about all the oil fields that surround Houston??? make any sense now? The logo was a oil well. lol nice detective work Sherlock.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
meh

any name sounds dumb until it's been around for a while and ppl have built associations with it

I mean shit, there used to be a team called the Oilers. Talk about dumb. But once people develop those associations, they get attached.
What was wrong with the name OIlers, one of the best helmets too?