The coaching staff and Trubisky's development

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Sorry if this is a bit incoherent or if this has been touched on in other threads.

Setting aside all the talk about the trade up for a moment and whether or not you are on board with the pick, what do you think the plan is with the coaching staff? I know there have been a lot of rumours about John Fox not finding out until an hour or two before the draft. But for a guy who is famously grouchy, he looked pretty relaxed and upbeat when he was on the phone congratulating Trubisky. He certainly didn't look like a guy who wasn't on board with what was happening.

Yet today I heard a lot of talking heads, including Louis Riddick who I respect a lot, suggesting that Pace and Fox's relationship would have been damaged by the draft. It's obvious that it was a draft for the future and not necessarily 2017 (although Shaheen and Jackson should see some playing time right away) but I think too much is being made of this. I think it is at least as likely that Pace AND Fox have been given assurances that they are in it for a couple more seasons at least.

Arguably of even more importance is whether Loggains is the guy to work with a new QB. He improved as the season went on but Pace is showing a lot of faith in him with this pick.

So, given how important it is not to make a QB learn an entirely new system every year and how damaging that would be, plus our own experience of watching Cutler go through six co-ordinators in eight years, what do you guys think the plan is here? Previously we probably all thought that another 3-5 win season and Pace would likely clear house. Is that still on the table? What is the more important relationship: OC or head coach? Could they can Fox and keep Loggains? Does it matter if they just decide to fire everyone after another bad season if they manage to get a superior coaching staff in? The idea of McDaniels or similar coming in and installing a new, but obviously superior system might be worth the disruption it causes?

What would you guys do or how do you think this plays out?

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What I would do is irrelevant, and would be based on too little information. I do feel that this coaching staff is here to see it through. Unless Pace's Trubisky love was late blooming, and he fell for him after signing Glennon. I doubt that though, as Pace seems to be a guy who plans his wardrobe a month in advance.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the OG/OT looks solid. That is a body you want on your team...not some fat pear shaped bitch form Penn State that Angelo drafted in the 6th round. I can't even rememeber that guys name, but we have made some strange late round lineman picks. If I compare them to that, this OG from Penn hits it out the park. Likely a smart guy who went to Penn for other reasons than football or could have gone to a powerhouse. Guaranteed Saban or Clemson would take that guy and work with his body.

He is perfect physically. Shehann I am not sold on. He has small joints, which is where he can get that speed at that weight, but making that jump in competition, is a big project. If Fox is trying to keep his job, drafting to keep his job, he doesn't take a big project TE. That doesn't help him last year.

I imagine about the time he got a safety that will be puped, and a 5'6" running back who looks even smaller than that on tape next to third tier college players, and then a raw OG who hasn't faced real competition except senior bowl...

I mean fuck...who wouldn't be pissed? He had needs on his roster, for a #1 WR, and a #1 CB in a passing league. A passing league!! hahahaha.

Next year is fucked and there isn't a great reason for it. The repurcussions if the McCaskey's panic on this thing could be deep. But Pace had some cute value picks he had to get some projects.

Not one player will start early or be ready. Not one. So yeah...Fox is probably grumpy about that at least a little, even if he was still Jolly after the Trubs move.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I can see why Fox would be pissed but his happiness is a long way down my wish list!

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the OG/OT looks solid. That is a body you want on your team...not some fat pear shaped bitch form Penn State that Angelo drafted in the 6th round. I can't even rememeber that guys name, but we have made some strange late round lineman picks. If I compare them to that, this OG from Penn hits it out the park. Likely a smart guy who went to Penn for other reasons than football or could have gone to a powerhouse. Guaranteed Saban or Clemson would take that guy and work with his body.

He is perfect physically. Shehann I am not sold on. He has small joints, which is where he can get that speed at that weight, but making that jump in competition, is a big project. If Fox is trying to keep his job, drafting to keep his job, he doesn't take a big project TE. That doesn't help him last year.

I imagine about the time he got a safety that will be puped, and a 5'6" running back who looks even smaller than that on tape next to third tier college players, and then a raw OG who hasn't faced real competition except senior bowl...

I mean fuck...who wouldn't be pissed? He had needs on his roster, for a #1 WR, and a #1 CB in a passing league. A passing league!! hahahaha.

Next year is fucked and there isn't a great reason for it. The repurcussions if the McCaskey's panic on this thing could be deep. But Pace had some cute value picks he had to get some projects.

Not one player will start early or be ready. Not one. So yeah...Fox is probably grumpy about that at least a little, even if he was still Jolly after the Trubs move.

no-answer.gif

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is why you let your GM hire the coaching staff from the get go. The dysfunction in the Bears organization starts right at the top. Nobody named McCaskey should have anything to do with football operations. I thought that's why the idiots hired a consultant to find them a GM in the first place. I know they got made fun of it but I was proud of them for realizing they don't know shit about football. They are why this team is on the verge of supplanting the Cleveland Browns as the NFL's biggest joke of a franchise.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
This is why you let your GM hire the coaching staff from the get go. The dysfunction in the Bears organization starts right at the top. Nobody named McCaskey should have anything to do with football operations. I thought that's why the idiots hired a consultant to find them a GM in the first place. I know they got made fun of it but I was proud of them for realizing they don't know shit about football. They are why this team is on the verge of supplanting the Cleveland Browns as the NFL's biggest joke of a franchise.

The chickens are certainly coming home to roost on that score. I can't imagine that Fox would be on any shortlist Pace would draw up and now we have what is at best a compromise in terms of the philosophy and direction of the team. Imagine if Shanahan was teamed up with Pace right now - I'd be pretty excited about what he could do with Trubisky. Same applies for McDaniels. Same applies for Matt Nagy in KC who I really like.

But given the situation we find ourselves in, one which Pace obviously didn't choose, what's the best course of action? The only thing on Pace's mind right now will be "what is the best thing I can do to ensure Trubisky maximises his potential"?

I'd argue that keeping a head coach that the league has passed by doesn't fulfil that criterion. But neither does ripping up the playbook after his rookie season. Short of firing everyone right now I don't see anything that isn't a compromise solution.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
The chickens are certainly coming home to roost on that score. I can't imagine that Fox would be on any shortlist Pace would draw up and now we have what is at best a compromise in terms of the philosophy and direction of the team. Imagine if Shanahan was teamed up with Pace right now - I'd be pretty excited about what he could do with Trubisky. Same applies for McDaniels. Same applies for Matt Nagy in KC who I really like.

But given the situation we find ourselves in, one which Pace obviously didn't choose, what's the best course of action? The only thing on Pace's mind right now will be "what is the best thing I can do to ensure Trubisky maximises his potential"?

I'd argue that keeping a head coach that the league has passed by doesn't fulfil that criterion. But neither does ripping up the playbook after his rookie season. Short of firing everyone right now I don't see anything that isn't a compromise solution.

Mitch would be perfect in the McDaniels system. I don't expect Fox to be here after this season but stranger things have happened.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Can someone explain to me what the fuck Rask is rambling about?

I think he's still bent out of shape about the draft. Good job he has that super hot 19 year old on his arm to work out that frustration!

Good intel on Sheehan's (sic) small joints though. I for one did not know that.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Mitch would be perfect in the McDaniels system. I don't expect Fox to be here after this season but stranger things have happened.

Fox is a defensive HC so I imagine he has almost no input into the passing game right? So him leaving is really no big deal.

But if you replace him, you better be going after someone with a track record of developing young QBs and/or experience working with elite talent. It would make sense if they were young and ascending like Nagy. McDaniels has failed before but is due another shot. Either way, it's going to be an offensive coach unless they manage to get Harbaugh!

I think on balance the disruption is worth it IF you manage to get someone of that quality. But it's not ideal.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it means he put alot of chipolte burritos on that skeleton.