The Crawford Dilemma: Sign or Walk Away?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Scott Powers also wrote in the Athletic that supposedly, Bowman is in a holding pattern until Crawford decides if he's coming back or not. Not sure if that's accurate, but found it interesting. There's a stupid paywall but you can read it in the first couple paragraphs: What I'm hearing about the Blackhawks' offseason so far
It only makes sense, the Hawks have in around 7-8 million in cap space, if CC rejects the offer does Stan go with Subban and Delia or reach into the free agent pool. If the Hawks actually had some sort of defensive unit that did not hang there net minder out to dry, it certainly would make Stans job easier. The other question is, how much will be out on the table for Kubalik? Do they trade Saad and not resign Strome. Lots of question marks, but let’s say CC walks, does that open the door to a tear down of the team and the Hawks redo the entire defense. Send Matta and DeHaan out and bring in the kids and have Seabs and Keith mentor them, trade koKo for a pick. So I would have to agree with Powers, CC certainly can change the trajectory of this team and how Bowman attacks the offseason.

Granada

Liked Posts:
It only makes sense, the Hawks have in around 7-8 million in cap space, if CC rejects the offer does Stan go with Subban and Delia or reach into the free agent pool. If the Hawks actually had some sort of defensive unit that did not hang there net minder out to dry, it certainly would make Stans job easier. The other question is, how much will be out on the table for Kubalik? Do they trade Saad and not resign Strome. Lots of question marks, but let’s say CC walks, does that open the door to a tear down of the team and the Hawks redo the entire defense. Send Matta and DeHaan out and bring in the kids and have Seabs and Keith mentor them, trade koKo for a pick. So I would have to agree with Powers, CC certainly can change the trajectory of this team and how Bowman attacks the offseason.

I'd have to think he reaches into the FA pool and either goes with Delia or trades him if he can. It's hard to say because we really don't know how he feels about Subban -- does Stan actually like Subban or was he just some filler he accepted as part of the Lehner trade? I would guess he was just some filler, considering we barely saw any of him after he was acquired.

I would not re-sign Strome regardless. He's become the new Anisimov of the Hawks -- he really has no place on this team anymore. He's not a second line center on this team and he's not a third line center on any team. Guy had a nice stretch after changing scenery in the Schmaltz trade, but that was it and nothing more -- he needs to go in my book.

I'm not hesitant in trading anyone really, but I wouldn't be mad if we kept Saad. I still like him; he's still a useful player to me -- serviceable top-six who can play special teams, with decent size. I guess it would depend on what the return would be.

I'd be fine if Bowman got rid of either Maatta and/or de Haan but I'd be surprised if he did that so soon after acquiring him. Then again, this is the guy who acquired Marty Reasoner and signed Panarin to a bridge deal, only to trade them before they knew it, so who knows.

If Powers is right, I just hope CC doesn't jerk the Hawks around too long. Free agency starts October 9th and it would be good if Crawford didn't wait until the last minute to tell Bowman his plans.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would not re-sign Strome regardless. He's become the new Anisimov of the Hawks -- he really has no place on this team anymore. He's not a second line center on this team and he's not a third line center on any team. Guy had a nice stretch after changing scenery in the Schmaltz trade, but that was it and nothing more -- he needs to go in my book.

I'm not hesitant in trading anyone really, but I wouldn't be mad if we kept Saad. I still like him; he's still a useful player to me -- serviceable top-six who can play special teams, with decent size. I guess it would depend on what the return would be.

I'd be fine if Bowman got rid of either Maatta and/or de Haan but I'd be surprised if he did that so soon after acquiring him. Then again, this is the guy who acquired Marty Reasoner and signed Panarin to a bridge deal, only to trade them before they knew it, so who knows.
I'm with you on Strome. Unless he resigns really cheap I'm fine with him walking. Dach has pretty much overtaken him at this point.

I'm also with you on Saad, but if the 'hawks need to move someone of value he's probably the guy simply because he played incredibly well this past season/playoffs and has no clauses. He might end up as a casualty if we can't dump cap elsewhere.

I think one of DeHaan or Maata is the sacrificial lamb, unless Stan wrongfully puts the team in Win Now mode again--which is a possibility with him. I don't really have a horse between them but I think it's more likely they move over Seabrook or Murph.
~~~~
Also, for those watching along at home on live television. I'm fine. Never got the order to evacuate in spite of the west coast being set on fire. I could have done without the chainsmoker experience, though.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm with you on Strome. Unless he resigns really cheap I'm fine with him walking. Dach has pretty much overtaken him at this point.

I'm also with you on Saad, but if the 'hawks need to move someone of value he's probably the guy simply because he played incredibly well this past season/playoffs and has no clauses. He might end up as a casualty if we can't dump cap elsewhere.

I think one of DeHaan or Maata is the sacrificial lamb, unless Stan wrongfully puts the team in Win Now mode again--which is a possibility with him. I don't really have a horse between them but I think it's more likely they move over Seabrook or Murph.
~~~~
Also, for those watching along at home on live television. I'm fine. Never got the order to evacuate in spite of the west coast being set on fire. I could have done without the chainsmoker experience, though.

Yes, Saad probably has the most trade value. He'll be in the last year of his contract too, so I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption to say Saad will either be gone in the off-season or at next year's deadline. Probably the deadline, since the return would be higher and the need at the time is always huge for a top-six forward who can kill penalties.

I remember now from the old board that you're in Washington -- glad to hear you're okay.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

~~~~
Glad to hear your doing fine Lord

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, Saad probably has the most trade value. He'll be in the last year of his contract too, so I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption to say Saad will either be gone in the off-season or at next year's deadline. Probably the deadline, since the return would be higher and the need at the time is always huge for a top-six forward who can kill penalties.

I remember now from the old board that you're in Washington -- glad to hear you're okay.
Glad to hear your doing fine Lord

Thanks both of you!

Actually in the Portland area now--moved a number of years ago from the Seattle area. One of the major wildfires in Oregon, the Riverside Fire, came to about 20 miles from where we live--thankfully we have the Willamette river between us and it's a good size one--not the Mississippi or Columbia, but hey, it works as a firebreak. On the flipside my wife's work was in the evacuation zone for a couple of days.

In other good news, the air quality here is Very Unhealthy! It got downgraded for the 1st time in about 2 weeks from Hazardous. Also this week we spotted this strange, glowing orb in the sky. :). Seriously though the smoke was so thick the sun couldn't even be seen through it.
Smokey Sunset_200908_193537_01.jpg
Wildfire Sky_200909_163427.jpg
^^ a couple of photos before the smoke *really* moved in and the plume was just high in the atmosphere. The upper one was at sunset, the lower one was early afternoon and it was that dark. In subsequent days the smoke got so thick that from the position of the lower photo, the house was completely shrouded in smoke to the point of being barely visible.

Anyhow, enough of the threadjack--back to Crawford banter.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks both of you!

Actually in the Portland area now--moved a number of years ago from the Seattle area. One of the major wildfires in Oregon, the Riverside Fire, came to about 20 miles from where we live--thankfully we have the Willamette river between us and it's a good size one--not the Mississippi or Columbia, but hey, it works as a firebreak. On the flipside my wife's work was in the evacuation zone for a couple of days.

In other good news, the air quality here is Very Unhealthy! It got downgraded for the 1st time in about 2 weeks from Hazardous. Also this week we spotted this strange, glowing orb in the sky. :). Seriously though the smoke was so thick the sun couldn't even be seen through it.
View attachment 6926
View attachment 6927
^^ a couple of photos before the smoke *really* moved in and the plume was just high in the atmosphere. The upper one was at sunset, the lower one was early afternoon and it was that dark. In subsequent days the smoke got so thick that from the position of the lower photo, the house was completely shrouded in smoke to the point of being barely visible.

Anyhow, enough of the threadjack--back to Crawford banter.
The sky wasn't the only disgusting,orange thing on the west coast last week!LOL!

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Interesting. He's signed at 4.5 for the next two years.
I wanted 'Hobby' two summers ago when he signed with Dallas for 2.5MX2 with no clauses but we opted for the 3M full NMC,Cam Ward retirement tour instead. I know he's 34 but quite a few tenders came into their prime around that age,he wouldn't require a return as an UFA and he doesn't have a lotta mileage for his age being a backup or a 1B most of his career.
Quite a few GT's will hit the market this offseason and 'Kooby" might sign in that 3-4M range.......even if he wins the cup.

Last edited:

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I wanted 'Hobby' two summers ago when he signed with Dallas for 2.5MX2 with no clauses but we opted for the 3M full NMC,Cam Ward retirement tour instead. I know he's 34 but quite a few tenders came into their prime around that age,he wouldn't require a return as an UFA and he doesn't have a lotta mileage for his age being a backup or a 1B most of his career.
Quite a few GT's will hit the market this offseason and 'Kooby" might sign in that 3-4M range.......even if he wins the cup.
Hey Bob, not used to seeing you over here on these boards. Hobby as you put it, has been outstanding throughout the playoffs for Dallas, probably one of the main reasons Dallas is in the cup final. He certainly would of been a great option as you put it a few summers ago, but you and I both know Stan can’t see past his ego or lacks the vision to spot out talent such Hobby hence why the Hawks are where they are in there current goalie search.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hey Bob, not used to seeing you over here on these boards. Hobby as you put it, has been outstanding throughout the playoffs for Dallas, probably one of the main reasons Dallas is in the cup final. He certainly would of been a great option as you put it a few summers ago, but you and I both know Stan can’t see past his ego or lacks the vision to spot out talent such Hobby hence why the Hawks are where they are in there current goalie search.
Hey Buddy!
I'm old,I'm still semi quarantined due to family/health reasons and I'm bored AF so I'm pretty much spewing all over the place at his point!LOL!
How ya been?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Hey Buddy!
I'm old,I'm still semi quarantined due to family/health reasons and I'm bored AF so I'm pretty much spewing all over the place at his point!LOL!
How ya been?
Not to bad considering the circumstances surrounding our daily lives as we speak. But I guess life will go on and at the very least we have a place to drag Bowmans name through the mud. I jump back and forth from these boards to the other board you are currently on, but its nice sometimes to get different perspectives from different posters rather than the same old arguments we have heard time and time again. Hopefully you spend a little more time on these boards as well, it’s always great to hear your input surrounding different topics being discussed.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kuemper is legit, I would be amazed if they let him go. He has dominant potential for stretches.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
You know, I focus on defenseman when I watch games. This whole myth the Hawks defenseman are bad it a myth.

It's the forwards who are bad, not the defenseman.

Just saying