The curious case of Velus Jones Jr

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
How about we let a rookie get a season or two under his belt before making judgments
Yeah sure, it would be nice to be able to evaluate him by actually seeing him make plays on the field though.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
I think you were trying to post something in defense of velus, but you actually ended up making a point in favor of the OP.

If all other WRs are so bad, you would think a 25 yr old 3rd round rookie would have more than 0 catches, right? Lol
Here's a thought. What if the other wr's actually AREN'T that bad?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's pretty alarming he can't get on the field over guys like Pettis/ESB and even ISM before he was cut. Is he struggling to understand the offense? Maybe the coaching staff doesn't trust him enough because of the fumbles? I'd like to see him get some more opportunities.
alzheimer's.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
hIs RaS sCoRe WaS aMaZiNg
Tbf when he has had the chance to touch the ball on offense he’s looked pretty good. It’s just been gimmicky shit. I like how they threw him a WR screen and it went for 10 yards and then that play just disappeared from the play book lol

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tbf when he has had the chance to touch the ball on offense he’s looked pretty good. It’s just been gimmicky shit. I like how they threw him a WR screen and it went for 10 yards and then that play just disappeared from the play book lol
I hate the pick until proven otherwise.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His fumbles cost us a chance late in two games. Benching him was the right move. Limiting his exposure as you work him back into the offense is also smart coaching.

Sometimes rookies need to adjust to the bigger stage of the NFL.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think you were trying to post something in defense of velus, but you actually ended up making a point in favor of the OP.

If all other WRs are so bad, you would think a 25 yr old 3rd round rookie would have more than 0 catches, right? Lol
Well, he DOES have more than 0 catches. In fact, every time he catches the ball, he scores a TD. Not even Jerry Rice could do that.

Edit: Velus only scores on 50% of his receptions, but Jerry Rice couldn't do even that.

Last edited:

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:

Not trying to defend Velus at all. We are a heavy run team, you have to block... ESB will play. Why he isn't playing over Pettis? Probably a combination of blocking, route running and IQ.

So yeah, he's probably trash. My point is that if he had shown anything in practice or had the fundamentals he would get more snaps.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Missed a lot of the pre-season, missed a lot of the start of the season- he's a rookie, and it's a bit early to pull the curtains on him. I believe he's going to win at least one game for the Bears this season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He had 16.5 yards be carry. He needs to be used more on the jet plays and take all those screens they giving to other players.

greg23

Liked Posts:
He had 16.5 yards be carry. He needs to be used more on the jet plays and take all those screens they giving to other players.
Sounds like what a 7th round pick/udfa offers

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Well I got what I asked for and he failed at being a WR like punt returner.

What does this guy do well to be worth a 3rd round pick?

Hated the pick at the time, hate it more now.
lol so 1 drop and he failed? you must be a millennial with that instant gratification crap

Sounds like what a 7th round pick/udfa offers

well when your raw what did you think would happen? he snaps his fingers and becomes a stud route runner? how easy would that make the nfl...