The curious case of Velus Jones Jr

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@remydat you comped this guy to deebo lmfffao come on bro

Not sure how many times we have to go over this. Said his skill set was similar to Deebo and Patterson. Never said he would be Deebo or Patterson.

80% of Deebo's passes are 9 yards or less. That is how you need to use VJJ. Short passes and runs. That is all.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Velus Jones makes Bobby Wade look like Devin Hester.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Thanks Velus, you are appreciated. Without your arthritic hands, #1 wouldnt have been possible.

GSHSoldier

Liked Posts:
What a great thread title. He’s so old he will never ear a big 2nd contract but bears can utilize him now.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
What a great thread title. He’s so old he will never ear a big 2nd contract but bears can utilize him now.
Some guys just need a little more time to adjust, he's starting to come on now in returns and a couple of nice long catches the last 2 games.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm starting to think he'd be better off as a 3 down back then a WR. He has the electric speed. No matter what we have him on contract so Bears can do what they will with him given what comes this offseason.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm starting to think he'd be better off as a 3 down back then a WR. He has the electric speed. No matter what we have him on contract so Bears can do what they will with him given what comes this offseason

Not a 3rd down pack. He is a Patterson type threat. Give him runs, short passes and the occassional deep ball. Doesnt need to run intermediate routes.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Not sure how many times we have to go over this. Said his skill set was similar to Deebo and Patterson. Never said he would be Deebo or Patterson.

80% of Deebo's passes are 9 yards or less. That is how you need to use VJJ. Short passes and runs. That is all.
He’s the worst receiver in the league. Enough!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He’s the worst receiver in the league. Enough!

That post was from almost a month ago. You crying aboit enough but responding to month old posts.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I know everyone is a bust, but Jones has legitimate game breaking speed. This guy looks fast compared to NFL players which means he’s really fucking fast.

It’s not his fault this staff refused to play to his strengths and tried to force him into the punt returner role. Returning punts is incredibly more difficult than returning kicks. He’s looking like an elite kick returner. His punt return struggles drew the ire of the fan base. He should have never been back there.

Also, his first NFL touch from scrimmage was jet sweep forward pass that he turned into a TD. How long was it before he had a second chance?

I’ve said this many times too, utilize him like Patterson and you have a weapon. It’s not that hard. The guy looks legitimate with the ball in his hands. Get him some easy touches and let him go deep a few times a game.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know everyone is a bust, but Jones has legitimate game breaking speed. This guy looks fast compared to NFL players which means he’s really fucking fast.

It’s not his fault this staff refused to play to his strengths and tried to force him into the punt returner role. Returning punts is incredibly more difficult than returning kicks. He’s looking like an elite kick returner. His punt return struggles drew the ire of the fan base. He should have never been back there.

Also, his first NFL touch from scrimmage was jet sweep forward pass that he turned into a TD. How long was it before he had a second chance?

I’ve said this many times too, utilize him like Patterson and you have a weapon. It’s not that hard. The guy looks legitimate with the ball in his hands. Get him some easy touches and let him go deep a few times a game.

He should be fielding punts, and learning basic RB ans pass blocking all offseason. This year was too soon but cant waste 2 roster spots on KR and PR IMO.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He should be fielding punts, and learning basic RB ans pass blocking all offseason. This year was too soon but cant waste 2 roster spots on KR and PR IMO.
Lots of teams utilize different players for punt and kick returns.

Patterson doesn’t return punts.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a 3rd down pack. He is a Patterson type threat. Give him runs, short passes and the occassional deep ball. Doesnt need to run intermediate routes.

You do realize on a lot of teams, a 3rd down back is kind of used like a WR too on other teams, so he'd still be used. And Patterson these days is listed as a Tailback.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lots of teams utilize different players for punt and kick returns.

Patterson doesn’t return punts.

I know some dont. I dont like it when it is a guy like Pettis or Webster who really shouldnt be on roster otherwise. Od course if it is a guy that also contributes on O or D then that is fine.

You do realize on a lot of teams, a 3rd down back is kind of used like a WR too on other teams, so he'd still be used. And Patterson these days is listed as a Tailback.

I am saying he should be running actual WR routed as well not simply being a RB that runs RB routes out of backfield. CP also isnt a 3rd down back. He plays on all downs but just rotates.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Well, he sure as shit can’t play receiver, so yeah, they’ve got to get creative on how they wield his speed as an asset.