The Fields hit

BigTom

Liked Posts:
I've heard about this hit but never seen it. How is that targeting or considered dirty like I've seen mentioned? The defender lowered his shoulder and tried to wrap up and Fields turned and slammed his momentum into the defenders head. Was the defense supposed to just let him keep running? Fields initiated the contact with the helmet.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I've heard about this hit but never seen it. How is that targeting or considered dirty like I've seen mentioned? The defender lowered his shoulder and tried to wrap up and Fields turned and slammed his momentum into the defenders head. Was the defense supposed to just let him keep running? Fields initiated the contact with the helmet.
He lowered and lead with the helmet.

mecha

Liked Posts:
how was that a dirty hit? you know there's like physics and shit involved in this game, people act like players can stop on dimes or just randomly change trajectory immediately. it's not like they went helmet to helmet or something. the dude was running. it wasn't like he was a defenseless player in the pocket that got blindsided or something.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed, he didn't lead with his head nor attempt to spear. He hit with the top of his pads as you're supposed to. Prob. is rule changes to protect QBs make perfect form illegal depending on who you're tackling or if any helmet contact ends up happening when the ball carrier moves at the last instance. It's petty pussy ball laundry IMHO.
A clean and ferocious hit.

The real take here is Fields' took it like a man, didn't fumble or bitch, and rallied to win the game in prime fashion. ??

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed, he didn't lead with his head nor attempt to spear. He hit with the top of his pads as you're supposed to. Prob. is rule changes to protect QBs make perfect form illegal depending on who you're tackling or if any helmet contact ends up happening when the ball carrier moves at the last instance. It's petty pussy ball laundry IMHO.
A clean and ferocious hit.

The real take here is Fields' took it like a man, didn't fumble or bitch, and rallied to win the game in prime fashion. ??

But he did. I mean I don't think it was dirty in any way and the automatic ejection rule is dumb as hell but it was 100% obviously a penalty by the rule. Like it or not.

JBSurfer

Liked Posts:
Agree. I remember watching the game and pulling for Clemson, could not figure out how it was dirty. For us, more importantly, was that Fields was definitely injured the rest of the game and still lit them up. If you watch the game, he kept holding his side and a lot of attention to patching his injury to finish the game. I feel like the adrenaline kicked in and then the lingering injury hampered him against Alabama.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To me it wasn't a dirty hard hit but because he led with his head and because Fields is a QB, the defender was screwed

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
reminds me of the hits Fuller got penalized for (which I still disagree with).

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't believe the people defending this hit

Dude dropped his head and put his crown directly into Fields ribs

It doesn't look as bad from the first angle but watch when they show the backside

That shit is textbook spearing and has been illegal since long before they started protecting QBs

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You guys know it doesn't have to be a dirty play in order for it to be deemed targeting?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He most certainly did not.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Do you like not watch football anymore? Honest question. Because that type of hit has been completely removed from the game for a while now.
It's a fucking collision sport Scooter.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
To me it wasn't a dirty hard hit but because he led with his head and because Fields is a QB, the defender was screwed
At the point he was hit he is considered a runner