The Front Office & Coaching Staff are ahead of the curve - and no one sees it. FTO

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm going to make an argument that's going to piss off a lot of meatballs.

And contextualizing my argument likely won't take the sting out of having to sit through another 14 games where the offense looks exactly like it does now and the game plan will seemingly never change as the offense stays extremely conservative.

But take a moment and remember what all of us were talking about before the season even started.

This roster did not have much talent on it. In fact, one could argue that we probably had about the same amount of talent as an expansion team after all the cuts were done.

The Bears made difficult decisions to get out of cap hell and set themselves up for a lot of free space next year. But that means everything going into this year was going to be extremely limited.

And this is still the NFL. The head coach is going to want to do everything he can to win games, even while grossly undermanned. The front office is still going to have the expectation of winning games on them, even as they are stuck with an expansion roster thanks to the turnover they had to do as a result of the failures of the previous regime.

Looking through three games, and the moves made during the offseason, I now see exactly what the front office and coaching staff were thinking and it has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of referendum on Justin Fields.

They knew they were going to be out manned and therefore they came up with the only way they could figure it on winning some games this year - play a style that doesn't allow the opposing offense to have the ball for very long,

Run blocking typically is easier for offensive lines than pass blocking and the Bears already had some decent running backs on the roster. So they went out and got wide receivers who were better arguably at run blocking then they were receiving.

The one wild card is Jones Jr, who I believe was healthy they will utilize more on screen passes and dump-offs to capitalize on the speed.

The entire point of this being:

THE FRONT OFFICE AND THE COACHING STAFF DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE OFFENSIVE LINE TO HOLD LONG ENOUGH DURING PASS PROTECTION.

People keep missing out on this.

It was said on the broadcast that Fields over the past year and this many games was the most hit quarterback behind the line of scrimmage in the NFL and it's been mentioned in other broadcasts and on NFL next-gen stats that over this past year and this handful of games that Fields also has the least amount of time to throw in the NFL.

None of this excuses fields are absolves him of when he makes mistakes. But at the same time not everything people are calling his mistakes are actually his mistakes.

Everything is geared towards run this season because they don't think they have the talent to do anything else. There's no point in going out and getting that stud wide receiver for Fields if they don't think the offensive line can pass block long enough for Fields to make that throw.

This is going to be a process. This year WILL suck and we all just have to get through it.

And if you still think the Bears will get rid of Fields at the end of the season and draft a new QB - let me crush those dreams right now...

The staff and front office know this isn't a good enough team around him to properly evaluate Fields.

Yes, Fields needs to get better. No doubt.

But the whole team does before we know what we got in him.
Best post I have seen on Justin in a long time. Well done sir and you're 100% correct

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Why do you believe the front office now when they said this about Mike Glennon, Jay Cutler, and Mitch Trubisky but clearly lied. What make you think they are telling the truth now?
those were other front offices

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm going to make an argument that's going to piss off a lot of meatballs.
If you're gonna make FTO threads, don't lead with shit like this.

To be clear - the intent of FTO threads was not to be a place to bait / hide out and leverage the mod team to hand out bans, etc. It was to make this place more fan friendly for those who want to stay on topic vs dealing with forum drama with posters who have been going at it for 20 years in some cases.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If you're gonna make FTO threads, don't lead with shit like this.

To be clear - the intent of FTO threads was not to be a place to bait / hide out and leverage the mod team to hand out bans, etc. It was to make this place more fan friendly for those who want to stay on topic vs dealing with forum drama with posters who have been going at it for 20 years in some cases.

Understood. I'll learn and even edit it out. Noted.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's the funny thing. I agree with him. He played like ass.

But him playing like ass also doesn't excuse the tackles from being awful in pass protection.

I'm just tired of dumb fans who are so lazy that they don't even want to understand football and therefore just make everything the quarterback's fault.

If our tackles were holding up better, Fields wouldn't have been sacked as much or flushed from the pocket as much, and therefore would have had more time to scan the field. And if that happened he might not have looked like he was jumping at ghosts out there. It may have evened out his game and he may have had a better game.

Everything plays into everything but lazy dumb people just don't want to admit that to themselves because it's easier to lean into the old dumb Bears fan mentality of "dur, the quarterback is a bust".

Both picks happened with a perfectly clean pocket. Did you watch the game even?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Both picks happened with a perfectly clean pocket. Did you watch the game even?

I did. Both picks were awful. Both were Field's fault. The tackles on the offensive line were still awful most of the game.

All of that can be true.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wait a minute…. Did you just EVALUATE Fields?

Dude, this isn't news. I said he had a bad game. I just am not going to put all of the offensive failings on Fields. That doesn't mean I put NONE of it on Fields.

You guys have to stop with this binary way of thinking....

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Does a guy who doesn't even watch the rest of the NFL even know what "the curve" is? The only curves OP knows are the ones he lifts up by his man bra.
Threadban + a 3 day.