The Jeffery Deception

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You're fine, players are taught to yell 'reverse' on these plays even in peewees. Not sure wtf he's talking about.

An end around is a direct hand off to the WR. Whereas a reverse is exactly that, a play that reverses direction and the WR receives the handoff second from another ball carrier.

At the NFL level you will tend to see more end arounds than reverses because reverses take longer to develop.

The linear flow of the play never changes in an end around whereas in a reverse it does. An end around can also be read much faster than an end around because of this.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Not once in my playing days have I heard a defensive player yell "end around"! WTF? :shrug:

And how often is what defensive players yell out a exact case of what a play is called?

Jeffery is running an end around. Its not reverse if Cutler hands him the ball like a normal hand off... Its only a reverse if the play starts to one side but alters to the other side upon a pitch/hand off.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
An end around is a direct hand off to the WR. Whereas a reverse is exactly that a play that reversing direction and the WR receives the handoff second from another ball carrier.

At the NFL level you will tend to see more end arounds than reverses because reverses take longer to develop.

This. Plus people tend to call an actual reverse a "double reverse" which is also incorrect. A double reverse would have to have THREE successive hand offs. Which of course is insane and why no one actually uses it.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
An end around is a direct hand off to the WR. Whereas a reverse is exactly that a play that reversing direction and the WR receives the handoff second from another ball carrier.

I know that! STILL, in all my playing days, I've never heard a defensive player yell "end around"! I'm not how to explain that any clearer. This seems like a silly thing to be picky about, imo. Heck, as you point out, even Thayer calls an 'end around' a 'reverse'.

Same thing, the DE knows to contain when he here's someone yelling "reverse".

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
And how often is what defensive players yell out a exact case of what a play is called?

Jeffery is running an end around. Its not reverse if Cutler hands him the ball like a normal hand off... Its only a reverse if the play starts to one side but alters to the other side upon a pitch/hand off.

Fucking A on Tapatalk
Jesus guys, I know it's a fuckin 'end around'. This is fundamental shit! I merely responded to sup saying he was surprised to hearing guys yell "reverse" when the Bears ran an 'end around'.

Man, I sure hope you guys don't think this distinction is complicated shit. Sounds like a point the wife would make, imo.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Jesus guys, I know it's a fuckin 'end around'. This is fundamental shit! I merely responded to sup saying he was surprised to hearing guys yell "reverse" when the Bears ran an 'end around'.

Man, I sure hope you guys don't think this distinction is complicated shit. Sounds like a point the wife would make, imo.

But its a Pointless point and not relevant to Thayer's inaccuracy... Why you keep stressing it is very confusing.

So what if it is what a defense calls out? That doesn't justify a color commentater, analysis, and former offensive linemen for using the wrong term.(nor explain why he used it)

I just realized.. You seem to actually think he was talking about defensive players yelling reverse.. that's not what was mentioned.its Tom Thayers use.. I didn't hear any players yelling and it only showed one audio clip I think.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
But its a Pointless point and not relevant to Thayer's inaccuracy... Why you keep stressing it is very confusing.

So what if it is what a defense calls out? That doesn't justify a color commentater, analysis, and former offensive linemen for using the wrong term.(nor explain why he used it)

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Thank you.

It is like a gun reviewer calling a magazine a clip. They aren't the same. If I'm an expert at my field I'm going to use the proper terms.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

I just realized.. You seem to actually think he was talking about defensive players yelling reverse.. that's not what was mentioned.its Tom Thayers use.. I didn't hear any players yelling and it only showed one audio clip I think.

Fucking A on Tapatalk
Maybe there is a point when Even a former NFL OL says reverse. CUZ FOOTBALL PLAYERS ARE COACHED TO YELL "REVERSE" WHEN THEY SEE THE MIS DIRECTION FROM PRACTICALLY BIRTH! I fuckin tried to explain this, but you guys, who obviously never played the fuckin game, wanna try to act smart by distinguishing an "end around" between an "end reverse". Fuckin ridiculous shit, imo.

Nice thread, some lousy fuckin posts! Moving on from this intense football education, way too complicated for me!
:obama:

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe there is a point when Even a former NFL OL says reverse. CUZ FOOTBALL PLAYERS ARE COACHED TO YELL "REVERSE" WHEN THEY SEE THE MIS DIRECTION FROM PRACTICALLY BIRTH! I fuckin tried to explain this, but you guys, who obviously never played the fuckin game, wanna try to act smart by distinguishing an "end around" between an "end reverse". Fuckin ridiculous shit, imo.

Nice thread, some lousy fuckin posts! Moving on from this intense football education, way too complicated for me!
:obama:

Ha. I played the game for 6 years. Sorry. You're wrong. Knowing the difference between an end around and a reverse doesn't mean you didn't play the game. Nice try though.

When breaking down the film Thayer gained nothing by saying "reverse". It doesn't make him more of a "player" or more legitimate as you are trying to make it. It was an end around.

Similar use but different.
Clip_magazine_poster.jpg

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Ha. I played the game for 6 years. Sorry. You're wrong. Knowing the difference between an end around and a reverse doesn't mean you didn't play the game. Nice try though.

When breaking down the film Thayer gained nothing by saying "reverse". It doesn't make him more of a "player" or more legitimate as you are trying to make it. It was an end around.

Similar use but different.
Clip_magazine_poster.jpg

Dude, I don't care about guns at all. We were talking football, right? Here's an article even stating your point. Notice all the people who call these plays reverses! Even Faulk called an end around a reverse! I bet Faulk knows the difference! All these people know the difference! However, they all refer to it as a reverse.

I tried to tell you why, but you insist on trying to teach me fundamental stuff. Everyone KNOWS it's an end around. BUT THEY STILL CALL IT A REVERSE! Tell me why? Are you suggesting that all these players and professional football analysts are stoopid and don't know the difference? This is a good example of the sillyness of some people on a sports MB. What a stoopid thing to debate, imo!

In the first Dallas-Philadelphia game, Donovan McNabb gave to a gentleman running right; the gentleman handed off to James Thrash going back left, and Thrash ran for 32 yards. "It's a double reverse!" Pat Summerall cried. No it wasn't. It was a single reverse.In the Seattle-Minnesota game, Daunte Culpepperfaked up the middle then gave to a receiver coming around. "It's a reverse!" Mike Patrick cried. No it wasn't. It was an end-around.In the Baltimore-Indianapolis contest, tight end Todd Heap took a handoff moving right and ran for 15 yards. "It's a reverse!" cried Brent Jones, who himself has run this play, and ought to know better. It was an end-around.
P
Like their Seattle counterparts, the Blue Man Group is hard to figure out.

In the Blue Men Group-Mouflons contest,Marshall Faulk lined up in the slot; there was a fake up the middle, and Faulk carried coming around. "It's a reverse!" cried Tom Jackson -- who himself has had to stop this play, and ought to know better -- of the highlight on NFL PrimeTime. No it wasn't. It was an end-around run by a slotback.
Summerall, Patrick, Jones and Jackson are merely mirroring current football culture, in which everybody gets this wrong. Many readers including Michael Bourn of Nashua, N.H., have written in asking TMQ to set this record straight.A "reverse" occurs when the ball starts left or right, then comes back in the opposite direction. But the ball must start left or right.Almost everything announcers call a "reverse" is actually an end-around or slotback-around, in which the ball was simply handed off to a receiver or slotback moving left or right parallel to the line. The result is a guy running from side-to-side but not on a reverse, because there was no initial motion to reverse. True, defenders yell "reverse!" to each other when they see this action, but only because it is cumbersome to yell "slotback around!" Announcers should use correct terminology.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=tmq/021210

This shit is instilled in you from an early age. It's the same reason people who watch the game with me wonder why every fumble I yell "BALL"!

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dude, I don't care about guns at all. We were talking football, right? Here's an article even stating your point. Notice all the people who call these plays reverses! Even Faulk called an end around a reverse! I bet Faulk knows the difference! All these people know the difference! However, they all refer to it as a reverse.

I tried to tell you why, but you insist on trying to teach me fundamental stuff. Everyone KNOWS it's an end around. BUT THEY STILL CALL IT A REVERSE! Tell me why? Are you suggesting that all these players and professional football analysts are stoopid and don't know the difference? This is a good example of the sillyness of some people on a sports MB. What a stoopid thing to debate, imo!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=tmq/021210

This shit is instilled in you from an early age. It's the same reason people who watch the game with me wonder why every fumble I yell "BALL"!

You are stuck on the on the field terminology and on the field reaction. What was posted was an experts analysis.

I expect an expert that is breaking down film to use the proper term.

Also, if we actually ran a REVERSE I would expect him to call it a REVERSE and break it down properly. I would hope he would not call it a double reverse. You are totally missing the point. No one said players on the field didn't call it that. This article wasn't about calls on the field by either side of the ball. It was about breaking down the play and calling a end around a reverse is wrong in film analysis. FILM ANALYSIS not CALLS ON THE FIELD. Get it?

You're not impressing anyone with knowledge of field calls. I played for six years and was the President of the youth football league in my town and set the rules for the 4 county league that we ran which consisted of 50+ teams in 4 divisions. You calling a end around is still wrong.

Chad_Thomas89

BANNED
Liked Posts:
You are stuck on the on the field terminology and on the field reaction. What was posted was an experts analysis.

I expect an expert that is breaking down film to use the proper term.

Also, if we actually ran a REVERSE I would expect him to call it a REVERSE and break it down properly. I would hope he would not call it a double reverse. You are totally missing the point. No one said players on the field didn't call it that. This article wasn't about calls on the field by either side of the ball. It was about breaking down the play and calling a end around a reverse is wrong in film analysis. FILM ANALYSIS not CALLS ON THE FIELD. Get it?

You're not impressing anyone with knowledge of field calls. I played for six years and was the President of the youth football league in my town and set the rules for the 4 county league that we ran which consisted of 50+ teams in 4 divisions. You calling a end around is still wrong.
So why aren't you breaking down films with Thayer or on the NFL network?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The plays themselves were great but I have 2 problems with his analysis.

1. On the big Alshon run, it did not appear Allen got beat outside because of the end around but rather the defense was slanting there DEs inside because that was the design of the rush pre snap. It seems it was really the LB ie no 55 who had outside contain and he was the one that got beat by thinking the ball was going to Forte as comes around the outside of Allen and looks like he should have sat and waited but instead breaks to the inside across the face of the FB and basically taking himself out of the play.

2. From a full disclosure perspective, he should have probably also shown the fact that Allen blew up the end around when it was run later in the game.

All and all I agree with his premise but just seem odd he missed the LB out of position and blamed Allen for the big run.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy shit. Trestman just gave me another boner. Things are lookin up.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The plays themselves were great but I have 2 problems with his analysis.

1. On the big Alshon run, it did not appear Allen got beat outside because of the end around but rather the defense was slanting there DEs inside because that was the design of the rush pre snap. It seems it was really the LB ie no 55 who had outside contain and he was the one that got beat by thinking the ball was going to Forte as comes around the outside of Allen and looks like he should have sat and waited but instead breaks to the inside across the face of the FB and basically taking himself out of the play.

2. From a full disclosure perspective, he should have probably also shown the fact that Allen blew up the end around when it was run later in the game.

All and all I agree with his premise but just seem odd he missed the LB out of position and blamed Allen for the big run.

whoosh

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Full clip do u really wanna step to this?