The Jeffery Deception

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Saw this and loved the critical thinking required to run a real offense. Although the whole time I was thinking, "Why the hell would you be revealing this to the public where another team can take advantage of it?" This is like playing poker and announcing to the table that you sometimes bluff.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Yeah Thayers is pretty good. I also like Jim Miller and Matt Bowen.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saw this and loved the critical thinking required to run a real offense. Although the whole time I was thinking, "Why the hell would you be revealing this to the public where another team can take advantage of it?" This is like playing poker and announcing to the table that you sometimes bluff.

I thought that too, but then kind of realized that DC's on other teams must see things like this all the time after the game when reviewing tape. I think during the game you make adjustments to stop a play but when you have an offensive mind like Trestman working against you any play can have some sort of adjustment just to see how the defense is going to play and the opposing DC can quickly become overwhelmed trying to figure out if the OC is testing them or just running a play.

I'm excited to see more of this type of play too come.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Yeah I saw this the other day with a big grin on my face. Can't wait to see what else they do.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL cmon, if you think NFL teams don't look at film already and notice that then you're only fooling yourself.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was kind of stuck on Trestman going to the well one too many times with the reverse then I saw the Thayer breakdown. Good stuff.

It's also nice to hear Trestman (and others) talk about plays like the Bennett TD to end the game. Specifically how the routes in combination challenged the DB. In an NFLN interview, Bennett said he slowed down his route to stay on the pylon instead of the back of the endzone. They knew the play would be there back shoulder from practice and the first time they ran it in game.

You get a real sense that the offense isn't just throwing plays out there; they're actually challenging defenses to react and building their calls around what they see.

Frigidus

Liked Posts:
Wow. I am impressed in so many ways by this. It is no wonder that the reverse worked so well when it is broken down like this. I hadn't even noticed that we had motioned a tight end to fullback to further sell the run on it.

I was kind of annoyed during the game when we called a second reversal later on, but now I'd say that it was an excellent decision. This sort of thing is so cool, we see tactical play analysis all the time but very rarely do we see a strategic breakdown.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea it's really cool to see an O that is changing in front of our very eyes and that keeps an opposing D on their tails not knowing what to expect.

This has been a long time coming. I don't wanna jinx it but I was ready to say something big about the next five years and won't.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Am I the only one that is bothered by hearing "reverse"? Not once did I see a reverse. I saw multiple end arounds.

I think you might be reading into it a bit much. :hitler:

Frigidus

Liked Posts:
Am I the only one that is bothered by hearing "reverse"? Not once did I see a reverse. I saw multiple end arounds.

Heh, sorry if I'm not always spot on with my terminology. I never played the game competitively.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think it really matters if other teams now know what they did...Thayer shows us that there were different options to the play, so the opposing defense has a small chance of guessing which one the Bears would use.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Willy%20Trestman.jpg

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Heh, sorry if I'm not always spot on with my terminology. I never played the game competitively.
You're fine, players are taught to yell 'reverse' on these plays even in peewees. Not sure wtf he's talking about.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Fairly standard stuff that most NFL teams are using. I guess it would be a big improvement over deli-man's Randy-Ratio type offense.

Read option is actually just a build off of that basic concept. The only difference would be the QB has to key one defender and determine what to do with the ball based on what that defender does.

Essentially if the QB picks correctly the defender takes himself out of the play.