The Juan Castillo Magic OL Pixie Dust

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Not sure what happened with the OL. At the time Leno re-upped, about 75% of people on here applauded the move. Since then he fell off a cliff.

Re-signing Massie was always meh. He’s been about average. Cody has been average since he’s been here but seems to have regressed some this season.

The focus has to be on the OL in the off season. Bears need two starting OTs

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Throwin those quick, sideline outs instead of running forward with Rbs is going to lead to Pick 6s soon....just like I always know that MegaPunt is gonna get at least one blocked ( he already has )

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
The run blocking is abysmal, but just off memory they have maybe given up 5-6 sacks in the last 4 games.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
The Pass Pro is decent, but this is the fourth consecutive season the run blocking is just pathetic. I was hoping better coaching could get them to serviceable, but it's just not happening with this group and David Montgomery is just not talented enough to overcome poor blocking.

The lack of investment since 2015 certainly makes the Top 5 Failures of Ryan Pace list.
Pace also extended 3 of the 5. In his defense Leno was coming off an OK season and Massie was serviceable. I could also justify the Cody W extension. Regardless, these are his guys and they are underperforming. He knew what they were capable of and willingly signed them up for more time.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Castillo came to us with an impressive resume, especially of producing good to very good running games.

This begs the question: if a proven OL coach was hired and the running game still struggles, what - or rather who - remained unchanged? ... Yep, the OC(HC). We are on our 2nd OL coach (who's track record should bring positive results) and our 2nd "assistant" OC, but the HC and "head" OC is the same...

At what point does it become obvious where the problem lies?

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Then again, the players didn't change much, either. While we did add a guy who was supposed to be an upgrade (Ifedi) at G, it was assumed all of the guys were going to be coached up by Castillo.

Why would Castillo suddenly NOT be a good OL coach?

discplayer

Liked Posts:
My point: It could be a lack of talent, too, particularly now that Daniels is gone.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's talent, lack there of and laziness in Leno's case. Bars was obviously the #2 behind Daniels, now they ran Coward the #3.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
But wasn't Bars hurtin'? I gathered he was the emergency backup to Coward.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Just wanted to point out that, while I am not so quick to agree with Windy on this (Castillo is not working out), perhaps Nagy's idea of run blocking in his offense is simply conceptually incompatible, and perhaps incompetent, given how bad the run game has been since he's been here.

greg23

Liked Posts:
It's all part of the sleight of hand and the G in BHVWGHC

It's the young QB
The young QB needs to elevate to 200 level
Its the oline coach
Its the qb coach
Its the TE group
Its the o-coordinaror
Its the oline

Given time it will eventually be exposed that it was the BHVWGHC all along (and the brilliant folks running the team usually take years longer to figure these things out than the fan base)

question is, will the BHVWGHC sign a second contract by then guaranteeing himself more money before he heads back to the residential real estate industry?

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
OL is good in pass protection, better than last year for sure.

They continue to be abysmal at run blocking and they lost easily their best run blocking OL in Daniels.

We have 2 major holes at the guard positions, which to me explains why Whitehair is struggling.

Leno is continuing his regression from last year. Massie is...well Massie. Okay at times, bad at others.

Talent and health are big issues. The Bears need to go after Liam Eichenberg, because let's face it, ND and OL are the equivalent of printing money.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The run blocking is abysmal, but just off memory they have maybe given up 5-6 sacks in the last 4 games.

Credit to Foles he gets the ball out fast, I don't think he has more than 3 seconds though. It's 'OK' but I can't remember a game he had a clean pocket, maybe Atlanta.

RE: Jaun we were running the ball marginally well the first three weeks. Indy and Tampa, I mean ok I can see them shutting down the run but Carolina? lol WTF is going on! Losing JD can't have that big of an impact, c'mon

greg23

Liked Posts:
If they think they have a chance this year; then trading for an elite olineman in the next 2 weeks makes a ton of sense (schreff/norwell) and getting them to resign helps as we need to sign and least 1 oline and draft 1 oline high this off-season anyways.

Time to forget about the existing players draft status and go get actual good players no matter the position or the cost.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Ifedi has been a bright spot. I’d think they will extend him. You’re gonna cut both Massie and Leno in the offseason. Whitehair at center was always a failure. He should be playing RT. Daniels and Ifedi at guard. Use your number one pick on a center. Given the Bears record they won’t be drafting a sure fire LT starter right out of the gate. They can get a starting center late in the first round though. Then use FA to address LT. They don’t need a pro bowl LT. Just someone better than Leno which won’t be hard to find.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Pass Pro is decent, but this is the fourth consecutive season the run blocking is just pathetic. I was hoping better coaching could get them to serviceable, but it's just not happening with this group and David Montgomery is just not talented enough to overcome poor blocking.

The lack of investment since 2015 certainly makes the Top 5 Failures of Ryan Pace list.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
OL is really lacking talent. It needs an infusion of new bodies.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I want to root for Montgomery but his lack of speed just doesn’t scare anyone.

a blazing back would bust a couple chunk plays whereas Monty will rarely have anything more than 10-15 yards at best.

the line is fucking horrible though to be honest. Especially when you watch a Of line that opens up huge holes.