My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It isn’t working.

The OL was okay running a training wheels offense against bad defenses.

They have been punked by 3 straight teams.

Yeah, every OL coach is going to suddenly turn chicken shit into chicken salad on CCS. Might just need better players. What happened to Whitehair? He used to be a fucking beast.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scheme, coaching, etc.

This is a talent issue. The talent isn’t good enough.

they just don't have a dominant player that sets the tone

Whitehair and Daniels are plenty good enough. Massie is mostly serviceable. Leno sucks. But as a unit, they would probably be decent enough if they added just one actually dominant player.

lennybrisco

Liked Posts:
they just don't have a dominant player that sets the tone

Whitehair and Daniels are plenty good enough. Massie is mostly serviceable. Leno sucks. But as a unit, they would probably be decent enough if they added just one actually dominant player.

Agree.

I see no leadership on the line. Sometimes you need a peer to set the standard and kick your ass when required. Who would do that in this bunch? They all sit around watching film of other losers - hey I don't look so bad compared to these other guys! There is no individual shame if you all suck at once and who can afford to speak out of turn and tell anyone else to get better?

As a hypothetical, I'm guessing much less of the stupid screw-ups continue to happen if Olin was centering. You'd make damn sure to know your job inside and out and execute it just to avoid his aggressive 'feedback'. He would not accept your crap, he'd make you care. (not saying aggressive approach is the best - just one example)

All that to say: As much as better talent, I'd be looking for one guy to come in and set a new tone/mindset. If Whitehair could kick out to guard (debatable at this point), center may be a great way to do it cheaply. I'm sure the OL coach will have some names in mind to talk over with Pace.

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
OL is good in pass protection, better than last year for sure.

They continue to be abysmal at run blocking and they lost easily their best run blocking OL in Daniels.

We have 2 major holes at the guard positions, which to me explains why Whitehair is struggling.

Leno is continuing his regression from last year. Massie is...well Massie. Okay at times, bad at others.

Talent and health are big issues. The Bears need to go after Liam Eichenberg, because let's face it, ND and OL are the equivalent of printing money.

Do you even watch the games? Anyone who says our OL pass blocking is good doesn't know diddly poo or doesn't actually watch that trash on the field every week!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Quinn created the Mack sack. He also created the Int on the final play forcing Teddy to let it go early. His stunt on the 2nd play of the game was a thing of beauty. It gave Nichols the room to loop around for the first sack of the game. Quinn is fine. Windy's narrative Is not.
Said this in the IGT.

Quinn was the most disruptive pass rusher in the game.

Liked Posts:
OL is really lacking talent. It needs an infusion of new bodies.
Last year, at the start of the season, Buffalo started 4 different players on the OL, made the playoffs, and had a very good run game. Thats the idea....we need minimal 2-3.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I do wonder if Pace/Nagy realize that this team is legit, IF they can get the offense working.

It just baffles me, nothing should be off the table when it comes to improving the O-line. Trades, looking internally or poaching a PS stud from another team should all be options.

If I remember correctly, Bar was projected to be a tackle, so why are we not seeing Spriggs or Bar replacing Leno?

Maybe we are being too critical? I don't have Game Pass this year, so I can not rewatch any of the games other than the Prime time ones to focus on the Oline.

I am going to record the Monday night game, so I can go back and watch, but I watched the Bucs game over and Leno stuck out in terms of suckage, even though Vita was beating the livin shit out of anyone he lined up with.

We see other teams bench vets all the time, but the Bears seem to be scared to make a move that might hurt someones feelings.

We also do not know what is going on in practice, but if I'm the HC or the OC or the line coach, I am going into practice giving every Backup available several 1st team reps.

Spriggs in for Leno, Mustipher in for Whitehair, Bar in for Massie. maybe even give Hambright some reps.

Do you start the 2nd string guys? Maybe not, but maybe you see something that can make a difference.

Has the Pro Scouting staff taken the season off, or can they go find someone from another teams PS to poach?

Seriously, if you need to make room on the roster, this year with the way the IR is you could have someone come up with a mysterious injury and bring them back if the other guy does not work out.

Enough of my rant, all I am saying is if Pace/Nagy is not doing everything in there power to fix the O-line NOW, then they both need to be let go.....

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
Agree.

I see no leadership on the line. Sometimes you need a peer to set the standard and kick your ass when required. Who would do that in this bunch? They all sit around watching film of other losers - hey I don't look so bad compared to these other guys! There is no individual shame if you all suck at once and who can afford to speak out of turn and tell anyone else to get better?

As a hypothetical, I'm guessing much less of the stupid screw-ups continue to happen if Olin was centering. You'd make damn sure to know your job inside and out and execute it just to avoid his aggressive 'feedback'. He would not accept your crap, he'd make you care. (not saying aggressive approach is the best - just one example)

All that to say: As much as better talent, I'd be looking for one guy to come in and set a new tone/mindset. If Whitehair could kick out to guard (debatable at this point), center may be a great way to do it cheaply. I'm sure the OL coach will have some names in mind to talk over with Pace.

I agree with your point. I think Pace’s problem is that he loves the “high character” nice guys. On the O-line, you need guys that are maulers, that have some fight and aggression to them. Guys that put some fear into their opponents. That’s what Olin had. That’s what Kyle Long had. Now that they don’t have anyone like that, they are a bunch of soft, nice guys to that can’t block. Give me 5 Olin Kruetz’s on a line and they’ll whoop your ass.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Wasn’t Leno one of the few Emery holdovers?
He was an Emery original but Pace extended him. I feel like at that point you take ownership of him on the roster as a GM.

" Leno will become the second offensive lineman that Bears GM Ryan Pace has extended in the the past 12 months. The Bears signed Kyle Long to a four-year, $40 million contract extension just days before the 2016 season opener. "

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He was an Emery original but Pace extended him. I feel like at that point you take ownership of him on the roster as a GM. Side Note: The Long injuries really sucked. I was hyped about him and held out hope too long he would revert to form.

" Leno will become the second offensive lineman that Bears GM Ryan Pace has extended in the the past 12 months. The Bears signed Kyle Long to a four-year, $40 million contract extension just days before the 2016 season opener. "

I agree.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Yeah, every OL coach is going to suddenly turn chicken shit into chicken salad on CCS. Might just need better players. What happened to Whitehair? He used to be a fucking beast.
I feel like that's been the theme on here for the past decade. New O-Line coach will fix it.

I really liked that dude we ended up getting from the Steelers maybe? Sutton? Can't remember. He got hurt and I think moved on to another team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We need more consistency.

Spin the wheel with Massie and Leno on what you are going to get.

A difference maker would be nice. Someone who would consistently win their reps.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Don't get it twisted. Castillo is doing a good job with what he has. The Oline under Harry's tutelage was a diabolical shit show on all levels.
That's just it. You could be grateful that Castillo has gotten the unit to a place where they're functional compared to last year: or you can bitch about what they're not and it's Ryan Pace's fault for not being able to bring above average starting caliber players at every position this offseason with limited cap space.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's just it. You could be grateful that Castillo has gotten the unit to a place where they're functional compared to last year: or you can bitch about what they're not and it's Ryan Pace's fault for not being able to bring above average starting caliber players at every position this offseason with limited cap space.

1. They are not functional compared to last season. They are about as bad.

2. Cap space wasn't limited. We spent 14/season on another OLB and 9/season on a washed TE.

3. The OL was a major need and it was addressed with band aids and scotch tape.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We need an Olin Kreutz type to punch someone in the face.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would add 2 young OTs, drafted pretty high and a day 3 C to come in and compete.

1. Seems destined for QB
2. OT
3. OT
5. S/LB
6. RB
6. LB/S
6. DT
6. C
7. DT

Nelly

Liked Posts:
1. They are not functional compared to last season. They are about as bad.

2. Cap space wasn't limited. We spent 14/season on another OLB and 9/season on a washed TE.

3. The OL was a major need and it was addressed with band aids and scotch tape.
There was just as much of a reason to believe that they'd bounce back. Yes they were bad last year, which also included the switch of Whitehair and Daniels and another Long derailment. The year prior they were arguably a top 10 group.

How was OLB not a need? Are you really going to roll into another year with Floyd there letting the defense have no qualms about doubling Mack every play? Are you really going to go into the season not having addressed the single worst position on the team in a substantial way rather than just a 3rd stringer in Harris and drafting a guy to play a notoriously hard position to excel at as a rookie? Are you really going to go into another year without a viable option to take over for your bust of a quarterback?

Pace had his priorities right considering the risk-reward. Floyd didn't have a track record of past success, neither did Jesper Horsted, JP Holtz, Adam Shaheen, Ben Braunecker, Mitch Trubisky or Deon Bush. Leno and Massie had track records of being a serviceable tackles. Whitehair had a track record of being a solid center or better. Danilels had upside of being a former 2nd round pick. Pace had Bars who had some potential as a projected higher round pick before and injury and grabbed Spriggs as a swing tackle along with Ifedi while also keeping Coward who got starting experience last year. If the O line did bounce back better than they have then Pace would look like a fucking genius. Instead, he's only given us a team that's 5-1. Poor us, having a 5-1 team. I wish we had the Detroit Lions roster and coach: they actually drafted an O lineman this year and added a HOF running back, unlike idiot dumbass Pace.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There was just as much of a reason to believe that they'd bounce back. Yes they were bad last year, which also included the switch of Whitehair and Daniels and another Long derailment. The year prior they were arguably a top 10 group.

How was OLB not a need? Are you really going to roll into another year with Floyd there letting the defense have no qualms about doubling Mack every play? Are you really going to go into the season not having addressed the single worst position on the team in a substantial way rather than just a 3rd stringer in Harris and drafting a guy to play a notoriously hard position to excel at as a rookie? Are you really going to go into another year without a viable option to take over for your bust of a quarterback?

Pace had his priorities right considering the risk-reward. Floyd didn't have a track record of past success, neither did Jesper Horsted, JP Holtz, Adam Shaheen, Ben Braunecker, Mitch Trubisky or Deon Bush. Leno and Massie had track records of being a serviceable tackles. Whitehair had a track record of being a solid center or better. Danilels had upside of being a former 2nd round pick. Pace had Bars who had some potential as a projected higher round pick before and injury and grabbed Spriggs as a swing tackle along with Ifedi while also keeping Coward who got starting experience last year. If the O line did bounce back better than they have then Pace would look like a fucking genius. Instead, he's only given us a team that's 5-1. Poor us, having a 5-1 team. I wish we had the Detroit Lions roster and coach: they actually drafted an O lineman this year and added a HOF running back, unlike idiot dumbass Pace.

Do you want a ring for going 5-1? Where do we hang the banner?

He assumed that Leno, Massie, and Whitehair would bounce back from 2019, and they really haven't, and he added no competition or viable depth.

He took a massive leap of faith on an OL that was bad in 2019.

When the Bears season ends it is going to be because Pace ignored the OL.