The Last of Us - HBO Max

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watching it with the girlfriend. Neither of us played the game so it's all fresh.

Pretty decent show, but at least every episode I swear there's a few moments where a very keen fighting survivor characters continue to talk loudly and fuck around in environments that haven't been checked out as safe. They rarely double-tap the baddie, and ALWAYS turn their back as well to allow them to come back for another shot they never see coming.

Not nearly as bad as the Walking Dead where I quit several times ultimately for good due to completely stupid character decisions and deviations, but I hate how slow/loud ass "zombies" always seem to ridiculously sneak up on characters out in the open in broad daylight when heads are always/should be on a swivel.

Hilariously my g/f doesn't consider them "zombies" but just infected. ?? Yeah, after throats ripped out and heads split open, fungus or not, they're living dead girl! Still a fun and interesting watch overall.

I've retitled it as "The Funga-pocolypse"

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They need to do better.

My gripe is with the very end of the last episode.

I can buy the girl whooping ass. Fine.

What I dont buy is afterwards.
The community dining hall is spewing fire, and a beat up girl and half dead dude greet each other 20 feet away and then wander off at a leisurely pace completely unchallenged?
No shouts of the residents as their food supply goes up in smoke?

The easy fix for that would be have her run for 3 or 4 seconds before finding Joel.

That is just lazy directing.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Show started promising but it’s been a boring dud

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I swear

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
They need to do better.

My gripe is with the very end of the last episode.

I can buy the girl whooping ass. Fine.

What I dont buy is afterwards.
The community dining hall is spewing fire, and a beat up girl and half dead dude greet each other 20 feet away and then wander off at a leisurely pace completely unchallenged?
No shouts of the residents as their food supply goes up in smoke?

The easy fix for that would be have her run for 3 or 4 seconds before finding Joel.

That is just lazy directing.
I can't remember why it was empty in the game, I know Joel actually broke in as Ellie was beating the shit out of David tho. I think they got out of there decently quick

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
@ijustposthere / @knoxville7 i just rewatched the episode before tonight’s and it is much better second time around fwiw to me
I feel they kind of rushed it, and didn't show enough infected overall, but I really liked the last two episodes. I'll probably spend a day bingeing the whole thing

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I feel they kind of rushed it, and didn't show enough infected overall, but I really liked the last two episodes. I'll probably spend a day bingeing the whole thing
I thought the finale didn’t have the gusto as with the game’s ending. Maybe that’s because you were playing when all that shit happened at the end.

The last episode felt very short.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
*side note*
I got a bit caught up in the show Van Helsing (on Netflix now), as it provided a different apocalypse arc.
While promising and having some cool elements, the writing (and some acting) is really just atrocious. So bad that I quit after really trying through 2 seasons of getting mad at the TV multiple times each episode when they engage in completely unnecessary childish drama and moronic / uncharacteristic decisions. I even jumped to Reddit to see if it got better and found a resounding "gets even worse". Shame. More terrible writing killed what could've been a cool show.

Last of us has some of that as I mentioned above, but not nearly as bad as Van Helsing. It's a bloody train wreck.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I thought the finale didn’t have the gusto as with the game’s ending. Maybe that’s because you were playing when all that shit Halle ed at the end.

The last episode felt very short.
I think part of it was that playing as Joel and going through it basically let you feel that what he was doing was wrong. It felt kinda glossed over in the show. That and it didn't show how incompetent the fireflies were to begin with.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
@ijustposthere / @knoxville7 i just rewatched the episode before tonight’s and it is much better second time around fwiw to me

I ended up watching both of those episodes back to back last night after falling a bit behind. I think that made both episodes a more rewarding watch than splitting them up.

I have an Xbox, so never even seen the game, but I am a little torn on the show. Great writing considering the source material, but lacking some action considering the same.

With all do respect to the Mandalorian, Bella Ramsey is killing it in this role and the entire reason I kept coming back.

I am going to need a little more horror to make through another season for sure.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Too lazy to look it up, but the woman they got to play ellie's mom had to have been related.. when the episode started I thought they did a time skip and she was squeezing a kid out

I liked the show, there was a lot of really good acting.
They did a fantastic job of compacted scenes that gave perspective or doled out info.

The opening scene with Joel's daughter- i went from "i am not watching a show about some teen girl"
To "she is a great kid, ok, let see where this goes"
To heartbroken in 10 minutes.

The talk show scene set up all you need to know about how a fungus can operate, and the dismal lack of prevention.

The doctor scene finished that off and explained the day 1 reaction.

.. but the rest of the character growth was weak.
There should have been more backstory about Joel and his woman.
There should have been more about whatever path Tommy took.
The fireflies looked disorganized and weak- how the hell could they develop a cure if they can't even stop a half dead dude with a concussion?

Again, I liked it but it really needed 4 or 5 more episodes to cement the main characters.
The truck episode was gold- i felt i knew those 2 better than Joel or ellie.
The mall episode should have been 10 minutes with the rest explaining how ellie wound up in Marlene's hands.

Overall very enjoyable and I will be back for season 2.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Too lazy to look it up, but the woman they got to play ellie's mom had to have been related.. when the episode started I thought they did a time skip and she was squeezing a kid out

I liked the show, there was a lot of really good acting.
They did a fantastic job of compacted scenes that gave perspective or doled out info.

The opening scene with Joel's daughter- i went from "i am not watching a show about some teen girl"
To "she is a great kid, ok, let see where this goes"
To heartbroken in 10 minutes.

The talk show scene set up all you need to know about how a fungus can operate, and the dismal lack of prevention.

The doctor scene finished that off and explained the day 1 reaction.

.. but the rest of the character growth was weak.
There should have been more backstory about Joel and his woman.
There should have been more about whatever path Tommy took.
The fireflies looked disorganized and weak- how the hell could they develop a cure if they can't even stop a half dead dude with a concussion?

Again, I liked it but it really needed 4 or 5 more episodes to cement the main characters.
The truck episode was gold- i felt i knew those 2 better than Joel or ellie.
The mall episode should have been 10 minutes with the rest explaining how ellie wound up in Marlene's hands.

Overall very enjoyable and I will be back for season 2.
Fun fact the woman who played Ellie's Mom played Ellie in the game