The loss is awful but, let's be honest, we weren't winning the superbowl this year

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Disappointment now or disappointment later. The Eagles kind of exposed us. The offense just isn't there yet and our vaunted defense got shut down pretty well compared to what the expectations were. Foles looked really comfortable back there, even for a guy who threw two picks. I thought the Eagles Oline did a great job shutting down Mack and Hicks. This was a total team loss. The offense did nothing for three quarters. Our running game did nothing. Our pass rush did almost nothing. Our secondary played really well all things considered but came up short on the game winning drive that put the Eagles ahead. Our special teams was pretty fucking atrocious, notwithstanding one clutch return by Cohen.

This Eagles offense impressed upon me the importance of a GREAT O-line. When you shut down Mack like Jason Peters did, I think it's clear that our Oline is second rate at best.

I think there's really a lot to be said today about whether the Bears made a mistake letting the Eagles into the playoffs. The match ups did not work in our favor. But I don't know if the Bears would've beaten the Saints in New Orleans any way.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Bears defense historically good. First in points allowed, first in turnovers. 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 2013 Seahawks, 2018 Bears. 3 Super Bowl winners, one team that didn't win a postseason game.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Nah, you can't really say that.

This was a Super Bowl defense and a middle-of-the-road offense. Teams like that absolutely can win the Super Bowl. Teams with an elite unit and a mediocre other unit win all the time.

You'd call Kansas City a Super Bowl contender, right? Well, they also finished 12-4. And they have, by far, THE WORST defense in the league.

There's no way a 12-4 team isn't a Super Bowl contender. This is the playoffs. Anything can happen. The Cowboys could beat the Saints. The Saints could shit the bed. Trubisky could've played out of his mind for 2 games.

ANYTHING is possible. I would've thought last year would've proved that to people.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Nah, you can't really say that.

This was a Super Bowl defense and a middle-of-the-road offense. Teams like that absolutely can win the Super Bowl.

You'd call Kansas City a Super Bowl contender, right? Well, they also finished 12-4. And they have, by far, THE WORST defense in the league.

There's no way a 12-4 team isn't a Super Bowl contender. This is the playoffs. Anything can happen. The Cowboys could beat the Saints. The Saints could shit the bed. Trubisky could've played out of his mind for 2 games.

ANYTHING is possible. I would've thought last year would've proved that to people.

I didn't see a superbowl caliber team yesterday Toast, I'm sorry to disagree with you. The Texans were 11-5 and did not look like an 11-5 team in the playoffs. The Bears didn't look as good as our record either. The Eagles looked much better than theirs.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The offense wasn’t allowing a deep run. It’s been a problem in Chicago forever and even with Nagy and young talent it’s still a problem.

Philly has the 30th ranked pass defense. Let that sink in.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
The offense wasn’t allowing a deep run. It’s been a problem in Chicago forever and even with Nagy and young talent it’s still a problem.

Philly has the 30th ranked pass defense. Let that sink in.

Yep. That, and I still can't let the fact sink in that their Oline stymied the strength of our team, the pass rush. I knew their Oline was good, but Jesus.

I think it's clear that the Eagles are better than us on the Oline, at Quarterback, and with their receiver corps. The game was all-but-decided when our pass rush was neutralized.

Southside

Liked Posts:
Defense held the Eagles 16 at home, and the Eagles had the ball at midfield to start their last drive. On any normal drive, that drives ends in a FG after 3rd down. It just happened to be four down territory so the Eagles had a 4th chance and cashed in. A backup d-back got beat on the touchdown. So all things considered defense didn't lose, defense got you 12-4. All we needed was Cody "Bubble Guts/Iced Out" Parkey.

*grits fist*

With more offense and a competent kicker, you probably go 13-3 and get a bye and not even play last night. Why no one mentions that factor? This team with this Defense was supposed to be a 1-2 seed. Defense gave us a chance in BOTH the Dolphins and Giants game. Fumbles and Parkey being Parkey killed us in Miami and Chase Daniels couldn't handle a snap in the rain in New York. That's offense and (un)special teams.

The only thing you're right about is that the Bears wouldn't have won a SB but that's due to Cody "Bubble Guts" Parkey because even if he makes the FG last night he probably missing kicks against the Rams/Saints/Super Bowl. You miss 10 kicks in one year, you will probably miss numerous kicks in the playoffs. He's even missed INDOOR FG kicks, and even the kicks he's made aren't even down the middle. How many times he made it but barely got his kick inside the posts? Meanwhile I'm watching kickers on other teams hit right down the middle. Bubble Guts hits a FG before a timeout but can't after getting "iced". He's mentally weak, if we were a criminal organization, he'd be the one who loses the drug shipment to the cops. If we were a army, he'd be the one who throws a grenade backwards and kills us. If we were an air flight crew, he'd open up the side door for fresh air and pull us all down. The weak link.

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
Totally disagree with this statement. Parkey makes the FG we advance. We already beat LA and know the matchup. Against NO anything could happen.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lost due to Nagy and Parkey. If Nagy schemes and calls a better game, we could go as far as our mistakes allow us. Some luck and that's the Lombardi.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
You gotta find a way out of the Hamburger Helper round of the playoffs before you can talk about a team

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yep. That, and I still can't let the fact sink in that their Oline stymied the strength of our team, the pass rush. I knew their Oline was good, but Jesus.

I think it's clear that the Eagles are better than us on the Oline, at Quarterback, and with their receiver corps. The game was all-but-decided when our pass rush was neutralized.

We don't have Ertz, thats it. Don't discount how much not having burton hurt the gameplan early. And trubisky played just as well as foles, so no.

Their oline however is great. Their defense might be the 30th ranked but props to them, they played great. You can't state "30th ranked" when you see most of these bears cast offs sticking to receivers like glue. Even scrubs can ball out some times, and they sure did last night.

I think the biggest difference yesterday was their head coach. Nagy made it seem like the game was too big for him in the first half and wasnt capable of adjusting to what the eagles were giving him. Pederson called a much better game.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Lost due to Nagy and Parkey. Nagy schemes and calls a better game and we could go as far as our mistakes allow us. Some luck and that's the Lombardi.

Running Gabriel right up the middle on a 2pt conversion towards and All Pro DT. Smart

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
LOL @ Eagles exposed the Bears. I didn't think the Eagles played all that well outside of the first drive. They had another good drive that ended with the Roquan pick, after that, it looked to me like the Bears should have boat raced them. Seriously, if it wasn't for Nagy going uber-conservative, this isn't even a game.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
We don't have Ertz, thats it. Don't discount how much not having burton hurt the gameplan early. And trubisky played just as well as foles, so no.

Their oline however is great. Their defense might be the 30th ranked but props to them, they played great. You can't state "30th ranked" when you see most of these bears cast offs sticking to receivers like glue. Even scrubs can ball out some times, and they sure did last night.

I think the biggest difference yesterday was their head coach. Nagy made it seem like the game was too big for him in the first half and wasnt capable of adjusting to what the eagles were giving him. Pederson called a much better game.

It's not just Ertz, its also Alshon Jeffrey who absolutely towered over Kyle Fuller btw. It's a luxury to have a big receiver like Alshon who a QB can feel comfortable tossing jump balls to.

We have Allen Robinson, who is really good, but it's just not enough. I don't think Tarik Cohen/Gabriel/Burton/Miller were enough (at least not this year) to put our receiver corps over the Eagles. You hope for improvement from Anthony Miller and Cohen, but I still basically regard A-Rob as our only "legit" receiver.

Monster

Liked Posts:
LOL @ Eagles exposed the Bears. I didn't think the Eagles played all that well outside of the first drive. They had another good drive that ended with the Roquan pick, after that, it looked to me like the Bears should have boat raced them. Seriously, if it wasn't for Nagy going uber-conservative, this isn't even a game.

There is a lot of truth here...

msadows

Liked Posts:

Defensively I wouldn't say they exposed them, Pederson def. out schemed Fangio on that last drive however, then again you can blame o'donell(another bum who shouldnt be back) for a 30 yard punt to give them the ball at the 40 something. If we had a healthy Eddie Jackson back there I have no doubt Foles gets picked 1-2 more times and it changes the course of the game from a defensive standpoint. He kept lobbing lame ducks up all night, little wobbly floaters.

Offensively the eagles D def exposed Matt Nagy's offensive scheme of the last 3 weeks.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
I didn't see a superbowl caliber team yesterday Toast, I'm sorry to disagree with you. The Texans were 11-5 and did not look like an 11-5 team in the playoffs. The Bears didn't look as good as our record either. The Eagles looked much better than theirs.

Yeah because the offense laid an egg. Not the defense.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Yeah because the offense laid an egg. Not the defense.

No, the defense did too. The pass rush was clearly neutralized by the Eagles Oline. The trench battle was won by the Eagles on both sides of the ball.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It's not just Ertz, its also Alshon Jeffrey who absolutely towered over Kyle Fuller btw. It's a luxury to have a big receiver like Alshon who a QB can feel comfortable tossing jump balls to.

We have Allen Robinson, who is really good, but it's just not enough. I don't think Tarik Cohen/Gabriel/Burton/Miller were enough (at least not this year) to put our receiver corps over the Eagles. You hope for improvement from Anthony Miller and Cohen, but I still basically regard A-Rob as our only "legit" receiver.

It's irrelevant. The Bears WRs vs. Eagles DBs > Eagles WRs vs. Bears DBs. They just are. There are so many more mismatches the Bears could have created against the Eagles than the other way around. The only Eagle that I seriously thought played well was Jason Peters, but even then, the Eagles weren't calling too many deep drops.