The misconception about Brian Daboll....................

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
To start, Daboll may or may not be the right guy for the job. He seems like he would be good for Fields but then again, there is some question about who is largely responsible for Josh Allen's success -- it is Daboll or Ken Dorsey? The answer to that one would kind of depend upon who you talk to. Still, I have an open mind about the guy and would not be upset if Daboll ends up being the pick. That said, there are some misconceptions floating around out there.....

One of the misconceptions is that he is would show more life and personality in his Pressers than other candidates such as guys like Les Frazier. This is wrong.

Daboll looks a bit meatballish and would seem to be a Santa -ish jovial fat guy type, but Bills writers say he is about as exciting as "watching paint dry" during his press conferences. Comes from the Bill Belichick school as far as being gruff and short during Pressers. Now is this a knock against him?? I say NOT. Matters little to me if a coach is short with the media as long as he WINS. But some have used this to knock Les Frazier which is a bit of a double standard when you consider Daboll is cut from the same school.

More concerning is some beat writers have questions about whether Daboll can lead a room and galvanize a whole team..... while not getting bogged down in the weeds of thinking like an Offensive Coordinator. Have we seen this before? Yes... see the last guy that we just got rid of - Nagy. These guys can get stuck overthinking one side of the team (offense) and fail to be head coach of the entire team -- often causing the very thing they covet (offense) to regress.

Don't shoot the messenger. I know Daboll is the flavor of the month on this board. I just want everyone to have a clear eyed view about these guys. And no, I will repeat, I have not ruled Daboll out... and Frazier is NOT my pick... although I do think Frazier should be given very strong consideration and if he ended up being the pick, I would not be upset about it as long as he has a sound plan for the offense/Fields and has an idea who he would be bringing in as OC.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Oh hey, look at me. I have this convoluted thought about Brian Daboll that I just have to share with everyone. Should I just post it in one of the many threads about Brian Daboll? Nah, fuck that. I'm going to start my own thread for my dumbass thoughts because I love the attention.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I do not care if Daboll has the personality of dry toast. Seriously, only meatball idiots care about that.

All I care about, is can he do the job. I like that he's paid his dues in multiple systems, and that is honestly what has been the thing that makes me favor him - that and the similarities between Fields and Allen from a skillset standpoint - you feel like he'd already know how to get the most out of a QB like Fields.

However, that doesn't mean Daboll is the only qualified candidate out there, or that if the Bears miss out on Daboll, they're fucked.

I just want them to run through the process and get it right. And we honestly won't even know that until next season (unless they REALLY fuck something up).

So yeah, Daboll is the easy choice because I can envision how it could work, but he's hardly the only right choice out there...

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Don't shoot the messenger. I know Daboll is the flavor of the month on this board. I just want everyone to have a clear eyed view about these guys. And no, I will repeat, I have not ruled Daboll out... and Frazier is NOT my pick... although I do think Frazier should be given very strong consideration and if he ended up being the pick, I would not be upset about it as long as he has a sound plan for the offense/Fields and has an idea who he would be bringing in as OC.
It should be of equal concern of what his plan is for defense. His defense was bottom half of the league and was a primary reason on why he was fired in Minny.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Oh hey, look at me. I have this convoluted thought about Brian Daboll that I just have to share with everyone. Should I just post it in one of the many threads about Brian Daboll? Nah, fuck that. I'm going to start my own thread for my dumbass thoughts because I love the attention.

Holy. Fuck. Having a bad day? Come down to SoFla and have a beer!! It's beautiful outside.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Holy. Fuck. Having a bad day? Come down to SoFla and have a beer!! It's beautiful outside.
Too cold. But I'm going to be complaining even more when I'm in IL tomorrow and the high looks like it's gonna be 16. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die.

RumourBoy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Bottom line is no one did more with less than Frazier this season and it seems he is at the peak of his coaching career right now.

If he comes in Friday and has the right ideas/people to put in place to get Fields and this offense going I'm all about bringing him on board. I also think he would be a good fit in Miami, I'm sure unlike Flores he believes Tua is coachable and can continue to progress and get better (despite his arm strength).

I want to see Fields catch 2 TD's from Mooney next season, so whichever coach can make that happen I'm all for.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
He will never be Miss America

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
Last thing about Daboll and his ability to lead an ENTIRE TEAM.

Daboll is up in a booth. You can't do that when you are a Head Coach. Things are coming at you fast and furious on that sideline.... you have to deal with it, deal with the players, and always be in the moment. You don't have the comfort of a booth to retreat to as Head Coach.

And what does this say about a guy like... for instance... Byron Leftwich -- WHO IS ON THE SIDELINES -- out there with the players while managing play calling duties. Does that mean he could be... COULD BE.... better prepared to assume Head Coaching duties than a guy who has been isolated in a booth??

That is truly splitting hairs. But that is what we all have been doing.... so we might as well throw this one out that as well as fair game for discussion.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
To start, Daboll may or may not be the right guy for the job. He seems like he would be good for Fields but then again, there is some question about who is largely responsible for Josh Allen's success -- it is Daboll or Ken Dorsey? The answer to that one would kind of depend upon who you talk to. Still, I have an open mind about the guy and would not be upset if Daboll ends up being the pick. That said, there are some misconceptions floating around out there.....

One of the misconceptions is that he is would show more life and personality in his Pressers than other candidates such as guys like Les Frazier. This is wrong.

Daboll looks a bit meatballish and would seem to be a Santa -ish jovial fat guy type, but Bills writers say he is about as exciting as "watching paint dry" during his press conferences. Comes from the Bill Belichick school as far as being gruff and short during Pressers. Now is this a knock against him?? I say NOT. Matters little to me if a coach is short with the media as long as he WINS. But some have used this to knock Les Frazier which is a bit of a double standard when you consider Daboll is cut from the same school.

More concerning is some beat writers have questions about whether Daboll can lead a room and galvanize a whole team..... while not getting bogged down in the weeds of thinking like an Offensive Coordinator. Have we seen this before? Yes... see the last guy that we just got rid of - Nagy. These guys can get stuck overthinking one side of the team (offense) and fail to be head coach of the entire team -- often causing the very thing they covet (offense) to regress.

Boy, I come over to the Forum at times like these to see what the boiling cauldron of myths, half truths, rumors, and innuendo is up to. I actually say that in a positive way. The House of Representatives performs the same function for our form of government. First of all nobody outside the organization knows about the inside information on these candidates. Nobody that is posting here anyway. We can make some semi-informed guesses, but does anybody here really KNOW if Daboll can handle a team? Maybe a way to look at it is to just concentrate on what we do KNOW, that is what we want the Bears to be like. My bias is offensive and defensive line strength, a pinch of speed, strong QB play and a mean streak a mile wide. I don't know if that is what the Bears brass want the team to be, maybe they just want to be in Arlington and don't really give a shit? But, the Bears may look at us as just a bunch of schlubs who will follow the team no matter what. I look at it differently, even though the McCaskeys are billionaires simply because they own the Bears, we as fans pay every bill for the organization, every bill. There is not a dollar in the McCaskey's pockets we didn't put there. Now, we don't own the Bears, but it would behoove the McCaskeys to treat us right and give us a team we can be proud of. Chicago is known as the city of big shoulders, the Bears need to be the Monsters of the Midway again.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
None of us know if these guys are more than good/great coordinators nor organized/leaders enough to run an entire team.
Daboll seems a VG fit for Fields but that doesn't necessarily make him a good choice for HC.