The no blitzing, no pressure, cover two defense is great...

KPBears

Liked Posts:
if you have good safeties. The Bears D was dominant for most of 2006 because Mike Brown was playing the best of his career. But once he got hurt, the Bears were done. And in the past 8 years, the Bears haven't had a decent safety. When you have guys in the secondary who know how to read qb's and receivers, you can play a soft zone. When you don't, you need to rush the QB and press the receivers. I'm afraid the bears are stuck with Trestman, Emery, and smoking Jay. But how about bringing on a d coordinator who finally realizes the deficiencies in the defensive backfield and adds constant blitzes to his scheme. There's enough talent and athleticism on the line to sell out the d, but there isn't enough talent in the secondary to sit back in zone coverage.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They blitzed a lot more today.

We just could not cover anyone.

The soft zone was still mixed in to make me want to gag.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

The soft zone was still mixed in to make me want to gag.

Seriously, they blitzed plenty today, what the fuck was the OP watching (other than the secondary avoiding covering anyone at all costs, obviously)? They even ran a CB blitz! When was the last time we saw one of those?

36bear

Liked Posts:
Crucial penalties killed the BEARS.
3rd and long (18/19yds) are tough to overcome.
Screen passes to Forte not effective.
WR screen pass not effective.
Cutler's decision to look out to open receivers other than B Marsh didn't help.
B marsh couldn't complete most, not all, of the passes.
TRESTMAN'S playcalling... garbage... just inept.

oh dear god.... just wanna go to the draft already.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
if you have good safeties. The Bears D was dominant for most of 2006 because Mike Brown was playing the best of his career. But once he got hurt, the Bears were done. And in the past 8 years, the Bears haven't had a decent safety. When you have guys in the secondary who know how to read qb's and receivers, you can play a soft zone. When you don't, you need to rush the QB and press the receivers. I'm afraid the bears are stuck with Trestman, Emery, and smoking Jay. But how about bringing on a d coordinator who finally realizes the deficiencies in the defensive backfield and adds constant blitzes to his scheme. There's enough talent and athleticism on the line to sell out the d, but there isn't enough talent in the secondary to sit back in zone coverage.

It's so annoying when people come on message boards and talk like they know more about what we should be doing on defense than our coaches cause i'm pretty sure that every single coach on our team or any team in all of football know more than you or anyone else on a message board does. We have big problems with talent on our defense cause we have sooooo damn many players hurt and we're having to play UDFA's and rookies all over this defense. Sorry for having to call you out but it just gets old on here with so many people that think they know more than even Mel Tucker does cause they don't.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
There were blitzes today... But if the secondary can't cover anyone at full strength... And since they can't cover, pressure is hard to get, they were penetrating, but they kept passing within 3 seconds, since they can't cover anyone.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Is it a talent problem or a scheme problem? What player has progressed under Tucker? Maybe Willie Young? Maybe Paea? Conte and Wright looked to be at least average or better safeties before Tucker. Peppers was great before Tucker, sucked last year, and has been much better in Green Bay this year so you can't completely blame last year on his age. Briggs you can blame age. He's a shadow of his former self, but he's not horrible out there (most of the time). But is DJ/Shea/Bostic/Anderson really that much lesser than a washed up Urlacher and Nick Roach? On paper, the difference between those guys and 2012 Urlacher isn't that big that the Bears should go from a top 5 defense to the worst LBs in the NFL, even with a declining Briggs. Tim Jennings went from 9 INTs in 2012 to 4 total in 2 years of Tucker. He was legitimately a top 5 CB, now takes a backseat to Fuller, who has really struggled for about 6 weeks now. Ryan Mundy had a really good season last year for the Giants, he's been below average this year under Tucker. You can blame the front 4 for the back 7 sucking, but they've been better than they were last year. 21 sacks from the DL last year. They had 26 already this year coming into the season. Paea has a career high in sacks. Young has more sacks than anyone had last year. Ratliff has been more of a force than any DT that put on a Bears uniform last year, including himself.

It would have been nice to have seen this defense with a new coordinator this year, so we could really know where they stood. But now the offense isn't good enough either. I just don't know where this team can/should go in the near future.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

The soft zbbc.co eone was still mixed in to make me want to gag.

It wasn't even a soft zone it was a wide open we don't know where in the hell our land marks are zone. The room the have to operate from hash to hash is ridiculous. No one in this defense is well coached. They're clueless of their jobs or coverage responsibilities.

AussieBear

Fuller looked like a rookie ready to bust out. The Bears have ruined him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a rookie who had a couple of good early games. Ten games later and he's an avg rookie. Yay crown the man.

PassTheForte

Liked Posts:
It's so annoying when people come on message boards and talk like they know more about what we should be doing on defense than our coaches cause i'm pretty sure that every single coach on our team or any team in all of football know more than you or anyone else on a message board does. We have big problems with talent on our defense cause we have sooooo damn many players hurt and we're having to play UDFA's and rookies all over this defense. Sorry for having to call you out but it just gets old on here with so many people that think they know more than even Mel Tucker does cause they don't.

Lol wait so you don't think there is a coaching problem on this team? Hahahahahahah

Hahahahah

Hahahahah thank you for the good laugh.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It wasn't even a soft zone it was a wide open we don't know where in the hell our land marks are zone. The room the have to operate from hash to hash is ridiculous. No one in this defense is well coached. They're clueless of their jobs or coverage responsibilities.
No instincts whatsoever. On the 1st Calvin Johnson TD, it looked like the Bears were in cover 3. Hurst got a little jam at the line on Johnson. But then he let him go and turned inside to sit down in his zone.

First of all, he and a LB (Bostic I think) almost ran into each other. Second, there was no underneath route as the Lions ran streaks with all 4 Wrs. Hurst and Bostic have to see that and get deep. Hurst has to continue to ruin with CJ. The route combo is designed to make the FS make a decision (Wrs up both seams), but Vereen has to shade more toward Johnson in that situation. I thought Fuller played out correctly.

Its one thing to know where to be. But this team doesn't know what to do when the offense counters and things don't look exactly the way they thought they would based on watching film.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Technically Tucker has switched to a read and react Cover-3 defense this year, but don't let me spoil the hate.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it a talent problem or a scheme problem? ... ...
Yes.

Looks like a well reasoned post but I must apologize because I only read the first sentence.