The OC Options

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want Shurmur, because I believe Nagy needs an OC with the experience and guts to say "Listen, this aint going to work. I'm sure of it" on some of his more out there ideas, and to reign him in when he starts to get "Madden-esque" pass heavy in his play calling that he does in response to early struggles in games.

I believe a new/unproven OC will try to work around these issues, for fear of rocking the boat and also desire to prove himself, where a veteran like Shurmur will identify these flaws for flaws and try to mitigate them. I could be wrong, but that's my reasoning.

Shurmur would be a great hire if the Bears could pull it off. I'd be shocked. If Nagy hires another strong personnality who's done it before that would show maturity. If he hire's another perceived yes man, then we may be in for the same year next year.

The good news is that they identified the main underlying issue, in my opinion, the running game and are blowing it up.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Shurmur would be a great hire if the Bears could pull it off. I'd be shocked. If Nagy hires another strong personnality who's done it before that would show maturity. If he hire's another perceived yes man, then we may be in for the same year next year.

The good news is that they identified the main underlying issue, in my opinion, the running game and are blowing it up.
This is definitely true. Anyone with even half a brain looking at the situation objectively can see Nagy has bitten off more than he can chew. If he can't bring himself to realize that, or to listen to those saying it, then he will be gone after next season.

I personally dont think his OC choice is going to prove that one way or the other just yet. But how he uses that OC, and the rest of his staff, definitely will...

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
From the same place his head is stuck...
I see it's the DaBearsBlog guy saying this. That guy clearly has no clue. He's changed his stance three days in a row and is just trying to look cool guessing.

Hoge and Jahns had a podcast yesterday. Those two are more plugged in than anyone. Hoge knows Kafka from covering him back at Northwestern and his days in the NFL. He says he's one of the hottest young coaches in the league and is no longer under contract with the Chiefs after this year. They say Bienemy getting a head coaching job will likely dictate the Chiefs and Bears OC's. Kafka and Shurmer may have to wait it out but either could end up in KC or Chicago if Bienemy leaves. They also say they don't know as nothing has leaked from Bears, but they are going off what league sources think.

They also say at the very least there will be serious competition for Mitch, and won't rule out a draft pick or a true starter coming in. They say Pace and Nagy see what everyone sees and to stop taking the GM speak at a press conference so seriously.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see Bienemy getting that HC gig, Kafka moving up in KC and us having to look elsewhere. I don't like the idea of Kafka coming here anyway. Rather have Nagy get a new voice if not promoting from within.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He's like the hottest HC candidate this year. And even if he doesnt get a position, there's no way he makes a move from one of the best offenses in the league to one of the worst. Career suicide.

Not to mention the fact KC could block that lateral move anyway...

My bad ur right. ? I'm just looking for some way to make the O better.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is definitely true. Anyone with even half a brain looking at the situation objectively can see Nagy has bitten off more than he can chew. If he can't bring himself to realize that, or to listen to those saying it, then he will be gone after next season.

I personally dont think his OC choice is going to prove that one way or the other just yet. But how he uses that OC, and the rest of his staff, definitely will...

I think firing all these guys was a knee-jerk, I gotta-do-something-to-justify-my-job-bcuz-of-low-offensive-production move.
I think we would've been better had we ran from under center more. Regardless of who we bring in....is it gonna matter if Nagy's callin' the same plays?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
At the press conference one of Pace's biggest points of pride was the lack of ego that he and Nagy had. Almost certainly, if they don't hire an OC it will be ego that sinks their ship.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
At the press conference one of Pace's biggest points of pride was the lack of ego that he and Nagy had. Almost certainly, if they don't hire an OC it will be ego that sinks their ship.

With Nagy not giving up play-calling.....is it gonna matter

dennehy

Liked Posts:
With Nagy not giving up play-calling.....is it gonna matter

It could, someone to keep his goofy tendencies in check. But perhaps not. Either way, not having an OC after this year is a huge sign of hubris.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It could, someone to keep his goofy tendencies in check. But perhaps not. Either way, not having an OC after this year is a huge sign of hubris.

But Nagy has always been the de facto OC right?

dennehy

Liked Posts:

He's the play caller, if that's what you mean.

Not sure how that contradicts anything I wrote.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think firing all these guys was a knee-jerk, I gotta-do-something-to-justify-my-job-bcuz-of-low-offensive-production move.
I think we would've been better had we ran from under center more. Regardless of who we bring in....is it gonna matter if Nagy's callin' the same plays?
As I have said repeatedly before, Nagy could install a completely different offense mid-season. Sure, he could add a few different plays in here and there, and he did, but that was limited. Once the season started (really, once camp started), it was going to be impossible to change it all on the fly. Lots to blame Nagy for regatding the offensive failures, but not this, IMO...

All that said, if he doesn't make some big changes after the fiasco of this season, and it fails yet again...hes going to be gone.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:

This and it was confirmed by George.

It would be a total lie to say how there is "no ego" and then create a situation where it is dominated by one ego (Nagy).

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

He's the play caller, if that's what you mean.

Not sure how that contradicts anything I wrote.

It's not about contradicting what you wrote. I'm just saying Nagy has obviously shown narcissism and dismissiveness toward the last OC with regards to control and play calling. So I can't believe him doing a 360