The official “we’re taking the year off in style” tank thread

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
salary cap options in tank year
For the right draft picks and moving toews you take them all. Just a matter of knowing that even though you are the worse team it doesn't mean you aren't in the power position with your cap space. Let it be known you're willing to take any contract for the right price. Big or small. I'd consider certain players with 2 years left for the right haul. Rebuild is going to take more than one year and it's my understanding this is a strong draft?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's funny because normally you can say things like, the goaltending isn't that bad, they are just missing a defender or two. Or the defense isn't that bad they just need some back checking, or the scoring will come around they just need to figure the lines out. But I look at this team, and for once, I just don't think anything can be patched or fixed. It's all just incredibly bad. Their is Kane, and some young guys that could be fun, but nothing that screams they'd be better if they just did this one or two things. This has to be quiet quiting on the hockey level.
Yep. It really shows the damage Bowman did. Maybe with a better hockey mind at the helm some of the next gen would be filling out now rather than being this bad.

Ahh well, if I can't enjoy the blackhawks playing well, I can learn to enjoy them playing poorly. L)
Not sure why anyone is surprised by this. This team, just like the Bears.....is built to lose. They have no design on winning this season which makes the idea of Kaner and Toews staying around most bewildering. Does managemen t actually think those two guys will keep the turnstiles moving? Either that or the two of them must really, really hate change....there is a countless amount of NHL players that woud rather slit their wrists than waste precious years of their career in this kind of situation.
Kane has 3 cups and a slew of hardware already. He is within striking distance of some of Mikita's team records. Let's say he stays for some of the rebuild; It's possible he could cement himself as arguable the best Blackhawk in history. Maybe that's his motivation to stay?

Toews does have similar hardware, but I don't think he has as much to play for--and it's possible he just might want to finish up this year as a Blackhawk and ride into the sunset. Who knows. Unlike some guys like Hossa, Borque, etc. It's not like those two don't have a single cup and are approaching the twilight of their career.
For the right draft picks and moving toews you take them all. Just a matter of knowing that even though you are the worse team it doesn't mean you aren't in the power position with your cap space. Let it be known you're willing to take any contract for the right price. Big or small. I'd consider certain players with 2 years left for the right haul. Rebuild is going to take more than one year and it's my understanding this is a strong draft?
As someone on the other boards has said, "weaponizing cap space" I'm all for it. A position isn't cemented until it is, and we can't move forward expecting, say, Korchinski *WILL* be one of our top-pairing D-men. That's what got the Legume-reckoner in trouble. Until he (or any other prospect) performs at that level against the league's best, there has to be a contingincey plan--and if we overload with that role? they can always be flipped.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep. It really shows the damage Bowman did. Maybe with a better hockey mind at the helm some of the next gen would be filling out now rather than being this bad.

Ahh well, if I can't enjoy the blackhawks playing well, I can learn to enjoy them playing poorly. L)

Kane has 3 cups and a slew of hardware already. He is within striking distance of some of Mikita's team records. Let's say he stays for some of the rebuild; It's possible he could cement himself as arguable the best Blackhawk in history. Maybe that's his motivation to stay?

Toews does have similar hardware, but I don't think he has as much to play for--and it's possible he just might want to finish up this year as a Blackhawk and ride into the sunset. Who knows. Unlike some guys like Hossa, Borque, etc. It's not like those two don't have a single cup and are approaching the twilight of their career.

As someone on the other boards has said, "weaponizing cap space" I'm all for it. A position isn't cemented until it is, and we can't move forward expecting, say, Korchinski *WILL* be one of our top-pairing D-men. That's what got the Legume-reckoner in trouble. Until he (or any other prospect) performs at that level against the league's best, there has to be a contingincey plan--and if we overload with that role? they can always be flipped.
Do you really think he is that self centered? I mean, I certainly don't know him personally but I'd be very disappointed if he was that much of a "me first" guy. I know when I played, I really enjoyed scoring a goal but losing always sucked the life out of it when I did.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I really hope the Hawks finish dead last and guarantee a top three pick.

The Hawks need to get another top ten pick this draft. Another top ten pick guarantees a first line player.

Button is hyping Sale as the second best prospect over the Russian, which is lol-worthy. Michkov isn’t far off from Bedard. If the Hawks get 3 and somebody takes Sale, KD laughs hysterically while walking to the podium to take Michkov, and I like Sale.

Bedard will put up 100 points a year in the nhl

Michkov will be right there with 50 goals

Sale will be a 70 point player. One of these guys isn’t like the other two.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you really think he is that self centered? I mean, I certainly don't know him personally but I'd be very disappointed if he was that much of a "me first" guy. I know when I played, I really enjoyed scoring a goal but losing always sucked the life out of it when I did.
I guess I'm not grasping how that is "self-centered". If Kane all on his own was good enough to keep us out of the cellar, he would have in the back half of 2017/2018 once Dr. Craw stopped carrying everyone's carcass. He didn't, even though he did have good O numbers in that timeframe.

The 'hawks aren't hurting for cap (quite the contrary, we can weaponize our capspace as-is right now with Toews and Kane on the roster at 10.5M apiece. If he doesn't want to be traded, he's earned that right via the NMC and, in my opinion, through his contributions to the cup winning teams. If he wants to stay with a cap hit commensurate with his age, projected longevity, and on-ice contribution I don't see an issue with it; they could do MUCH worse in the vet presence department. I'd like the haul a trade package with him would net, but on the other hand at this point I think we're destined to be bad no matter who we ice, and as such I think the 1st order of business is to get the dead cap off and the albatross contracts gone. Kane doesn't fall into those categories.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess I'm not grasping how that is "self-centered". If Kane all on his own was good enough to keep us out of the cellar, he would have in the back half of 2017/2018 once Dr. Craw stopped carrying everyone's carcass. He didn't, even though he did have good O numbers in that timeframe.

The 'hawks aren't hurting for cap (quite the contrary, we can weaponize our capspace as-is right now with Toews and Kane on the roster at 10.5M apiece. If he doesn't want to be traded, he's earned that right via the NMC and, in my opinion, through his contributions to the cup winning teams. If he wants to stay with a cap hit commensurate with his age, projected longevity, and on-ice contribution I don't see an issue with it; they could do MUCH worse in the vet presence department. I'd like the haul a trade package with him would net, but on the other hand at this point I think we're destined to be bad no matter who we ice, and as such I think the 1st order of business is to get the dead cap off and the albatross contracts gone. Kane doesn't fall into those categories.
What's not to grasp? If he's staying around only to break team records, what else would you call it? If that's how he is, I'd be surprised and disappointed in him. Besides, I didn't propose this idea......you did.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
This team was designed to be a spittoon this year. And anybody saying Domi and AA are going to be flipable at the deadline for anything of value are fooling themselves.

I’ve seen enough of both to say they’re both washed up.

This is the thing I don’t understand; people saying these two are flipable, but a three time Cup winning center who might have one more playoff run in him isn’t. They’re all washed up, but one has a damn good reason why.

I really think there’s a lot of teams that will be looking at Toews come the deadline. Don’t be surprised if the Av’s ain’t one of them.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's not to grasp? If he's staying around only to break team records, what else would you call it? If that's how he is, I'd be surprised and disappointed in him. Besides, I didn't propose this idea......you did.
I mean how is Kane hypothetically wanting to cement his legacy and break Blackhawk records a bad thing? Why would it be disappointing?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean how is Kane hypothetically wanting to cement his legacy and break Blackhawk records a bad thing? Why would it be disappointing?
It's quite obvious that you never played the game.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's quite obvious that you never played the game.
Irrespective of whether or not I've played, you still didn't answer my question. Why would it be disappointing if Kane wanted to remain with Chicago and possibly break some Blackhawks records?

I mean really: He's approaching 34 which is old in Hockey years. He's got 3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, an Art Ross, a Hart, and a Ted Lindsay. It's not like he's Hossa or a Timonen where he wants a shot at a cup before he retires because he's been confined to also-rans for the bulk of his career. He himself won't be able to pull the team out of the cellar. He likely won't command a full 10.5M on his next deal and certainly won't get the duration because Stan's no longer here. He does have a decent enough work ethic, and once we start pulling in some more players like Reichel, etc. he'd be a good mentor for the developing FWDs.

The only flipside to him leaving is in a trade out; we might be able to pull some more prospects if he leaves at the TDL. The thing is, he can also leave as a UFA and we get nothing. We could certainly do worse than Kane if he wants to stick in Chicago and ride out his career. As far as I'm concerned if he wants to go then we should let him go; preferably he works with us so we can trade him out rather than he leave for nothing. If he wants to stay, then I think he should certainly be afforded that opportunity unless he wants something that would put the rebuild in jeopardy (which from where I stand would be more cap than what he's making now and/or a long-term deal).

We might as well have said we would have been disappointed in Stan Mikita for hanging around the Blackhawks after 1976 once he started to age out.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kane just might be worth more to our rebuild at this point than he is to a contender pushed against the cap.

Sure they can get him for 5,000,000 maybe if they pay a huge price, but he brings us back one or two players looking to rejuvenate their career or spark it every year where he is.

This year it’s Domi and Athanasou, eager to sign on the line and all those guys bring back a return when they depart.

Athanasou is a type of center I’ve wanted around here for a long time. I don’t necessarily love that game but Kane churns up all kinds of roster value.

Anyhow…it’s in his hands and he can stay right where he is with a team happy to pay 10,000,000 to have him around as long as he wants.

Welcome.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Irrespective of whether or not I've played, you still didn't answer my question. Why would it be disappointing if Kane wanted to remain with Chicago and possibly break some Blackhawks records?

I mean really: He's approaching 34 which is old in Hockey years. He's got 3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, an Art Ross, a Hart, and a Ted Lindsay. It's not like he's Hossa or a Timonen where he wants a shot at a cup before he retires because he's been confined to also-rans for the bulk of his career. He himself won't be able to pull the team out of the cellar. He likely won't command a full 10.5M on his next deal and certainly won't get the duration because Stan's no longer here. He does have a decent enough work ethic, and once we start pulling in some more players like Reichel, etc. he'd be a good mentor for the developing FWDs.

The only flipside to him leaving is in a trade out; we might be able to pull some more prospects if he leaves at the TDL. The thing is, he can also leave as a UFA and we get nothing. We could certainly do worse than Kane if he wants to stick in Chicago and ride out his career. As far as I'm concerned if he wants to go then we should let him go; preferably he works with us so we can trade him out rather than he leave for nothing. If he wants to stay, then I think he should certainly be afforded that opportunity unless he wants something that would put the rebuild in jeopardy (which from where I stand would be more cap than what he's making now and/or a long-term deal).

We might as well have said we would have been disappointed in Stan Mikita for hanging around the Blackhawks after 1976 once he started to age out.
Not a slight....there are a lot of great fans that have never even put on skates. But if you played the game competively, you'd know that hockey players are a different breed of athelete. As in life, nothing is 100% but the vast majority of hockey players play the game for each other. It doesn't matter who scores....only that someone on your team scores. Winning the game is the priority....not who scores the most or makes the most saves or hits. If Kaner didn't fit that mold, I'd be disappointed in him.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not a slight....there are a lot of great fans that have never even put on skates. But if you played the game competively, you'd know that hockey players are a different breed of athelete. As in life, nothing is 100% but the vast majority of hockey players play the game for each other. It doesn't matter who scores....only that someone on your team scores. Winning the game is the priority....not who scores the most or makes the most saves or hits. If Kaner didn't fit that mold, I'd be disappointed in him.
Try this on for size then (and I am just spitballing; I have no clue what's in Kane's head):

Both Campbell and Seabrook had family lives which made them want to stay in Chicago. Kane might be in the same boat. I also think there's no shame in wanting to play mentor to up and coming youth (which is playing for teammates), nor is there any shame in wanting to chase some records late in a career (or chase a cup, which got Hossa put on blast).

For what guys like Kane and Toews have done, as ling as they aren't hurting the club and rebuild, they should be able to do what they want... be it staying or going. Besides, if Kane wanted to win *that* bad, he would have waived bis NMC already.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Vlasic is bad.

Regula is bad.

Toews is really bad and I take back that teams will want him at the deadline.

If they’re throwing Blowman picks out there to look bad they’re doing a marvelous job.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vlasic is bad.

Regula is bad.

Toews is really bad and I take back that teams will want him at the deadline.

If they’re throwing Blowman picks out there to look bad they’re doing a marvelous job.

tenor.gif

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My strongest take on Kane is that his father was his early brain trust, and they set a vision a long time ago about belonging to one city, playing for one franchise.

Loyalty and being an icon somewhere are important to him and stems from talks and fantasies set long ago.

It’s obvious it’s not in his best interest anymore, but whatever his reasons we have to respect and I think it actually benefits us more than the draft haul he will return which might not be what we think.

The teams that want him don’t have early draft picks.

He’s worth the most cash to us.

On an assist goat list with Crosby and Thornton who probably retired…salvage players still want to feed off his stick and bring us picks anyway.

In my perfect scenario we leverage all our cap for picks, have Kane get a ghost injury in December and take 6 months off traveling the world.

Nab Bedard. Trade Toews who seems more open to it, and come back in 2023 with Reichel, Kane, and Bedard all leading a line. Dach 2.0 ready to slap some shots. And possibly Allen and Korchinski ready to contribute since they are big boys.

Don’t forget to also leverage Kane’s 8 million in savings.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
One thing is clear this is a new vision for the team and not a continuation of blowman