The OL Moving Forward

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
...hopefully not over a cliff.

As it stands, Leno-Daniels-Whitehair will man the left side and C positions. I think by the time the season starts (if there is even a season), Bars and Spriggs will man the right side.

It was very obvious that Pace is comfortable with the players he has, and especially, in my mind, perhaps overestimating the importance of Castillo’s arrival. I have to think last year’s shit show was due to a combo of poor play AND awful schemes. At times it looked like they were blocking themselves or running out into space looking like they didn’t know what to do next. You can’t have that happen from a group who played ok in 2018 to playing like that in 2019 without their being major scheme issues.

Bars-decided to stay and not join the Pats roster. The staff obviously thinks highly of him, and without the injury, he may have gone in round 3-4 in the draft. Has been working out with Quentin Nelson (played together at ND). I think he beats out Ifedi and hopefully performs well.

Spriggs-drafted into a weird situation in GB. Brought in because Bulaga had been having injury concerns, but stayed healthy after Spriggs was signed. He played spot-duty and then got hurt before the 2019 season, so I don’t think it’s fair to call him a bust. Truth is, he hasn’t had that many opportunities yet. I don’t know this for sure (maybe Windy can provide input), but it seems like OL would be like most other positions-you need to play and get in rhythm a lot in order to learn the finer points of the position.

So I think those will be the 5 starters barring any bigger names being acquired.

I will say my biggest knocks on Pace are:
1) Mitch over Mahomes or Watson, and
2) not devoting resources to new bodies at T, and especially, handing out those contracts to Massie and Leno last year, which makes it difficult to get out of for at least this upcoming season.

We’ll see if Castillo is as good as everyone says he is.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i dont think spriggs will take over for massie...at best imo spriggs is the swing tackle this year. he is still a work in progress and if bars is the starter at RG i want a veteran next to him instead of an unknown in spriggs.

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
Leno Daniel's whitehair bars massie is my guess. Better hope heistand was as terrible as pace apparently thinks.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
As it stands, Leno-Daniels-Whitehair will man the left side and C positions. I think by the time the season starts (if there is even a season), Bars and Spriggs will man the right side.
Leno Daniel's whitehair bars massie is my guess. Better hope heistand was as terrible as pace apparently thinks.
Have to disagree. I think the starters will be Leno, Daniel, Whitehair, Ifedi and Massie.

I'd love it if Bars is good enough to start.

Last edited:

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
...hopefully not over a cliff.

It was very obvious that Pace is comfortable with the players he has, and especially, in my mind, perhaps overestimating the importance of Castillo’s arrival. I have to think last year’s shit show was due to a combo of poor play AND awful schemes. At times it looked like they were blocking themselves or running out into space looking like they didn’t know what to do next. You can’t have that happen from a group who played ok in 2018 to playing like that in 2019 without their being major scheme issues.

Bars-decided to stay and not join the Pats roster. The staff obviously thinks highly of him, and without the injury, he may have gone in round 3-4 in the draft. Has been working out with Quentin Nelson (played together at ND). I think he beats out Ifedi and hopefully performs well.

Spriggs-drafted into a weird situation in GB. Brought in because Bulaga had been having injury concerns, but stayed healthy after Spriggs was signed. He played spot-duty and then got hurt before the 2019 season, so I don’t think it’s fair to call him a bust. Truth is, he hasn’t had that many opportunities yet. I don’t know this for sure (maybe Windy can provide input), but it seems like OL would be like most other positions-you need to play and get in rhythm a lot in order to learn the finer points of the position.

So I think those will be the 5 starters barring any bigger names being acquired.

I will say my biggest knocks on Pace are:
1) Mitch over Mahomes or Watson, and
2) not devoting resources to new bodies at T, and especially, handing out those contracts to Massie and Leno last year, which makes it difficult to get out of for at least this upcoming season.

We’ll see if Castillo is as good as everyone says he is.

You cant run zone well in the nfc north.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) They already fell off a cliff in 2019. The entire season and didn't land softly.

2) This thread title is the first time that OL has "moved forward" since 2018.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What if Castillo looks at 2019 tape and decides to start at zero for all involved; benches Leno & Massie? Doesn't take much to do better than Leno. Any of the scrub rookies or potential castaway FA pickups should have equal opportunity.

Hard to say for real until camp and practices become a serious option. Without that it's a hot mess that's anybody's guess, which = oh shit time for either Mitch/Foles & more of the same for poor D. Montgomery & Cohen.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
O line is going to be a big ? to begin the season, and likely will not be resolved immediately. I don't think that Pace has done enough to add the right talent.

We are GUESSING at who the starters are going to be, and just like with QB, if you have more than one possible starter at a position, then you do not have a starter.

I'm excited about this year, but it feels like we are trying to place a band aid on a sucking chest wound.

I hope I am wrong, but the only talent that was addressed directly was coaching.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I'm very concerned about RG and RT, people get lost in the draft "doctor" Phil videos, but Massie was probably worse than Leno last year. I do though think a lot of improvement can be made just by simplifying schemes, if NAgy would stop asking Ts to try and pull across the face of a (obviously more athletic) ILB/MLB who has inside position in the first place... or that stupid ass TE motion crack-like block on a weakside DE (you can't block most NFL DEs like this) that would be a big help even with the same scrubs from last year.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
What if Castillo looks at 2019 tape and decides to start at zero for all involved; benches Leno & Massie? Doesn't take much to do better than Leno. Any of the scrub rookies or potential castaway FA pickups should have equal opportunity.

Hard to say for real until camp and practices become a serious option. Without that it's a hot mess that's anybody's guess, which = oh shit time for either Mitch/Foles & more of the same for poor D. Montgomery & Cohen.
Yeah, Pace is betting BIG on Leno improving. Our LT was the worst OL player (PFF), on the 29th worst OL in the NFL. Some say the Blind-side is a rather important position. We drafted a 7th Rd Tackle prospect.

Bears still have some $$$. If there's a LT in FA better than Leno...